Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
There are some who believe only pure bred dogs should be bred. I agree partly with this sentiment, however, I am not against people creating a new breed if they so wish as long as it is done correctly. However, I am against the indiscriminate breeding of crosses for the sake of producing a cross, it's pointless, too unpredictable in the outcome and is done, in the main, for financial gain!
Becky
I agree with that.

But I do know that there are some very passionate doodle people out there who love their cross and I do think there is a plcae in the world for them and should be allowed to breed as long as they are doing so ethically.

They may not be creating a new breed for a specific job in mind but I don't think that matters. Lots of dogs don't fulfil what they were orginally bred for (and yes I know they were orginally bred for something so they did have a "purpose") but I don't think it very relevant today that they do.

TBH, I'd never recommend a doodle to anyone after my experience, but then I'm quite biased. I think people need to be aware of what they are potentially taking on (as with any dog).
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli
There are some who believe only pure bred dogs should be bred. I agree partly with this sentiment, however, I am not against people creating a new breed if they so wish as long as it is done correctly. However, I am against the indiscriminate breeding of crosses for the sake of producing a cross, it's pointless, too unpredictable in the outcome and is done, in the main, for financial gain!
Becky
I agree completey..

It sometimes seems those of us, who are against the Doodle fad ...are accused of snobbery/ biased against xbreeds... but its far from the truth, what we are against is the flooding of the market with xbreeds , issuing guarantees off all kinds, when we know it is not possible to do so/

A true new breed , bred for a porpose, is not something I am against.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:57 AM
but if they haven't got a long term plan then there are gong to be dogs that do not fulfil even their own vague reasons for breeding. The vast majority of doodles being bred are first crosses and hence will not be as suitable for their reasons (low shedding, good temperament, great family dog) until they are many generations down the line, and therefore on the way to becoming a breed.
That is where they fall down. You will not get exactly what you want or are aiming for in a first generation cross!
Becky
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree completey..

It sometimes seems those of us, who are against the Doodle fad ...are accused of snobbery/ biased against xbreeds... but its far from the truth, what we are against is the flooding of the market with xbreeds , issuing guarantees off all kinds, when we know it is not possible to do so/

A true new breed , bred for a porpose, is not something I am against.
I don't think anyone is calling anyone else a snob and that's certainly not what is intended on my part anyway.

I think most doodle people along with all genuine dog lovers don't want to see the market flooded as it is, and anyone who does their research properly will know that there are no garantee's for anything and any breeders worth their salt wouldn't be stupid enough to garantee anything either.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I think we're actually all singing (for the most part) from the same hymn sheet, just maybe on different verses.

I asked the question before which I think only one person answered (and it wasn't intended to be an argumentative question):
Do you think only pure bred dogs should be bred?

Because that's the kind of impression I get which may be competely off the mark.
No I don't think that. But I do think that there should be a valid, considered reason for cross-breeding which has been carefully researched - i.e. health, temperament etc.

To my mind the vast majority of these 'designer' dogs are only being bred to create cute looking puppies with cute sounding names with the only aim to make money from them. Even those which were originally 'designed' for specific purposes are often mis-sold (e.g. nearly all 'doodles' are marketed as being hypo-allergenic, when this is just not the case).
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
but if they haven't got a long term plan then there are gong to be dogs that do not fulfil even their own vague reasons for breeding. The vast majority of doodles being bred are first crosses and hence will not be as suitable for their reasons (low shedding, good temperament, great family dog) until they are many generations down the line, and therefore on the way to becoming a breed.
That is where they fall down. You will not get exactly what you want or are aiming for in a first generation cross!
Becky
That's most breeders, not all breeders. The better breeders aren't all breeding F1's and if they are they aren't selling them as hypo-allergenic.
I think most of the ethical one's are into higher generations now (at least my breeder is).
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
No I don't think that. But I do think that there should be a valid, considered reason for cross-breeding which has been carefully researched - i.e. health, temperament etc.

To my mind the vast majority of these 'designer' dogs are only being bred to create cute looking puppies with cute sounding names with the only aim to make money from them. Even those which were originally 'designed' for specific purposes are often mis-sold (e.g. nearly all 'doodles' are marketed as being hypo-allergenic, when this is just not the case).
I agree.

But as I keep saying, there are ethical breeders too, who are breeding with health and temperament in mind first and who love the characteristics the cross produces.
I think they should be encouraged and not lumped in the the BYB and PF's and Bob and Sue down the road who are breeding for the hell of it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
That's most breeders, not all breeders. The better breeders aren't all breeding F1's and if they are they aren't selling them as hypo-allergenic.
I think most of the ethical one's are into higher generations now (at least my breeder is).
But what has happened to those dogs that have not met breed standard... who do they control the ones that dont fit the criteria for their standard
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But what has happened to those dogs that have not met breed standard... who do they control the ones that dont fit the criteria for their standard
A good breeder will find homes for all their pups regardless of coat. Not everyone goes for the doodle for the low shed dog (I didn't) and so coat type was not an issue.

I imagine that once temp/health tests are done then the coat type will be a feature of choosing the next breeding dogs as a lot of people do like the loose curly coat but that doesn't mean that the other pups are overlooked. As always, a good breeder will have homes lined up before the birth or mating so they know they have homes and they will make sure that people know that coat type is not garanteed.

In all honestly, the unknown quantity of the "look" was part of the appeal for me and it's not hugely important for everyone although, granted, the teddybear look comes from the wavier/curlier coats.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I just want to add that i am not defending bad breeding practice. The way a dog looks doesn't have to be the be all and end all.

So what if there is not set breed standard? As long as those pups have have the best chance in life by coming from a good breeder then it doesn't matter what they look like, someone somehwere will love it like no other, and it's the breeders job to find those people.
Page 29 of 30 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 >