Our sister sites
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well, this was the first page that came up on Google:

http://www.poomixrescue.com/dog_sear...&submit=submit

There are what, maybe 300-400 'designer' Poodle crosses on that list? the majority of those dogs I also noticed have only been listed this month or the month just gone.

I also looked on Petfinder and found several thousand more. I think it is a bigger problem than you realize.
I have gone on this site quite often, and searched under goldendoodle and labradoodle.
The numbers seem very small to me for these two popular crosses, based on the entire country.

There certainly are not groups of them in one place...unless there would be a raid on a terrible breeder.

There is also the unknown issue of which of these dogs are actually from a breeder...what type of breeder, etc.

On petfinder, there are lots of purebred dogs of the popular breeds, as well.
For example: poodles, labs, goldens (forget about pitbulls).
The advocates of those breeds would say the same thing as me:
1) Most don't even look like real poodles, labs etc.
2) They certainly don't look like they are from any breeder...even a bad one.

Any goldendoodle which was bought from a good breeder would not even have to end up in rescue...they would get grabbed up immediately on a goldendoodle chat site (unless they were of poor health.)
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-06-2009, 02:25 AM
I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH THIS ISSUE.

My tone has gotten testy and unfriendly...and there really is not much more to be said that has not already been said.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
IMy experience with other goldendoodle owners have confirmed the consistency of personality when these dogs are purchased from a loving and knowledgeable breeder.

It's unfortunate that you can't consider the possibility of such results, or such a group of doodle breeders.
Many here talk about "the evil group of greedy breeders", when your experience in this area is probably quite limited...and quite biased.
The vast majorrity of doodle breeders do not fall within the reputable breeder bracket both here and in the states.

Since I see that Ernie and other goldendoodles are less bouncy around small children than the goldens I have met, I will assume the truth of this issue.
If your experience of standard poodles does not bear this out, then even more reason not to get one.
You cannot delcare the 'truth' based on just your dog!

BTW, I do not claim to be a poodle expert....but somewhat of a goldendoodle "expert".
You cannot be an expert in first generation cross, the results are far to random. You can only be an expert on your own dog!

The "adversaries" of doodles here are talking with little personal experience...and with stereotypes which are FIXED in their head.
Unless someone makes a new and intelligent point, I am out of this for a while.
In correct, I help out at the Labradoodle Trust and therefore have greater experience of a range of doodles. I can also vouch for the shedding as I have to groom them all and there are currently only two here that do not shed but they have a large poodle % in their breeding, which is the only way to fix that particular trait!

Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
But we mustn't forget that there are also good, ethical breeders of doodles out there too. They may be small in number but they do exist and should be supprted as much as any other ethical breeder.

Yes, for the most part, people have jumped on the bandwagon and thought they could make a quick buck and that is totally unacceptable in any breed or "type".

Please remember that not everyone who has bought a doodle is gullible and clueless. There is more information out there now and certainly the doodle forums about are full of people who know and understand this "type" and will tell people the pitfalls and also what to look for in a good breeder. Unfortunately this information can come too late in some casees.

Celebrities and whatnot don't do anyone any favours like they didn't with chihuahua's (hope I spelt that right). That's very unfortunate.
Agree there are a few ones out there who are testing, however, they still do not want to create a breed and you therefore have to question what is the point of producing them if it isn't simply as puppies for sale? Also doodle breeders need to accept responsibility for making cross breeding 'acceptable' resulting in many people crossing whatever they have together to make a 'breed'!

I do believe the number of doodles in rescue was being exaggerated by Becky.
She made it sound as if there were many doodles in one place.
My experience here in the USA is that this is VERY not so.
The number that exists in the entire country does not appear to be any higher than any other popular breed.

I believe it is actually even less, since these dogs seem to be adopted quickly, if there are no serious health issues.

In order to determine if there is a serious abandonment issue with these dogs, a major study would have to be done.

Since most of these dogs are not registered, there is no way to know the total number originally purchased, or the type of breeding background the abandoned dogs are coming from.

Since these statistics do not exist, you and others here are merely speculating (and exaggerating), based on your biases.
Whar statistic has been put forth which shows that the numbers are MASSIVE?
In the USA, they certainly are not.

As well, I don't recall the article mentioning that you cannot be a good breeder if you don't do scientific health-testing.
Please point it out to me...I didn't go back yet to look.

I do believe my breeder uses effective, old-fashioned selective methods to obtain great results.
I could be wrong, but there is no reason for me to research further about her now.
If I ever get another dog, I will definitely do more research on this issue than I did the first time...even though Ernie appears so far to be a wonderful health specimen.

Anyway, your point is irrelevant to my point that there are a multitude of doodle breeders who do ALL the proper testing.

I have explained my position on this issue before, and have no desire to go over it again.
If you want to focus on my claim concerning the existence of many good breeders, instead of arguing about the particular merits of Ernie's breeder, I will be glad to engage the subject.
As I have said before I help out at the Labradoodle Trust. At any one time they have between 20-30 dogs in rescue, that is every day, they take in as many as they can and try not to turn any down, in fact I am not aware of any being turned away as they will find space some where. These dogs are spread out over the country as they do not usually use kennels but a home fostering system, although there is a small block of kennels where I am staying at the moment, which are full!
There will also be a degree of abandonment which will be collected as strays and will just be classed as a cross breed, plus many of the general rescues will also have them down as lab or poodle crosses and therefore it will never be truely known how many are in rescue at any one point.
Few doodle breeders will take back dogs they have bred and the larger ones will get rid of their breeding stock (creating a heavier rescue burden) once they are of no more use to them i.e. they cannot breed from them any more.
There are not a 'multitude' of doodle breeders who test just a core few. This is borne out by the adverts both here and in the states where health testing is never mentioned!

I didn't see them using the word 'Massive" or offer any statistics as to the numbers.

I saw them mention that the numbers have been growing "exponentially", which is quite a vague and relative way of describing it.
Statistics from the Labradoodle Trust are now posted as above!

I have gone on this site quite often, and searched under goldendoodle and labradoodle.
The numbers seem very small to me for these two popular crosses, based on the entire country.

There certainly are not groups of them in one place...unless there would be a raid on a terrible breeder.

There is also the unknown issue of which of these dogs are actually from a breeder...what type of breeder, etc.

On petfinder, there are lots of purebred dogs of the popular breeds, as well.
For example: poodles, labs, goldens (forget about pitbulls).
The advocates of those breeds would say the same thing as me:
1) Most don't even look like real poodles, labs etc.
2) They certainly don't look like they are from any breeder...even a bad one.

Any goldendoodle which was bought from a good breeder would not even have to end up in rescue...they would get grabbed up immediately on a goldendoodle chat site (unless they were of poor health.)
If they are truely a good breeder then they would take the dog back themselves not allow them to be flogged off in a chat room. What a sad statement that no-one will consider one of poor health though.
Becky
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Agree there are a few ones out there who are testing, however, they still do not want to create a breed and you therefore have to question what is the point of producing them if it isn't simply as puppies for sale? Also doodle breeders need to accept responsibility for making cross breeding 'acceptable' resulting in many people crossing whatever they have together to make a 'breed'!
I believe the good breeders within the "type" are trying to create good tempered, healthy, low shed family dogs first and foremost.
I don't see a problem with that. I don't think they have to try and create a new "breed" exactly. They're creating a type. Nothing wrong with that.
I say this after having the worst experience with a doodle I could have imagined so I do see both sides of the agrument.

They may be lots in rescue, I don't know. There are lots of every dog in rescue. How about the people breeding labs, both good and bad, stop breeding until there are none of them in rescue? Or GSD, or staffies or any other breed.

There are bad breeders in every breed right? And even some of the "good" breeders of KC registered show type dogs are pretty terrible. I mean, look at bulldogs or bassets, hardly heathly looking creatures.
Why pick only on doodles? Again, the good, ethical breeders should be encouraged.

Anyway, I'm a bit cr*p at getting my point across in writing, so apologies.

I'd also like to add that I hate the idea of people sticking 2 dogs together and calling it a stupid name to make money. I hate that a much as I hate any "breeder" churning out dogs for profit.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I believe the good breeders within the "type" are trying to create good tempered, healthy, low shed family dogs first and foremost.
I don't see a problem with that. I don't think they have to try and create a new "breed" exactly. They're creating a type. Nothing wrong with that.
I say this after having the worst experience with a doodle I could have imagined so I do see both sides of the agrument.

They may be lots in rescue, I don't know. There are lots of every dog in rescue. How about the people breeding labs, both good and bad, stop breeding until there are none of them in rescue? Or GSD, or staffies or any other breed.

There are bad breeders in every breed right? And even some of the "good" breeders of KC registered show type dogs are pretty terrible. I mean, look at bulldogs or bassets, hardly heathly looking creatures.
Why pick only on doodles? Again, the good, ethical breeders should be encouraged.

Anyway, I'm a bit cr*p at getting my point across in writing, so apologies.

I'd also like to add that I hate the idea of people sticking 2 dogs together and calling it a stupid name to make money. I hate that a much as I hate any "breeder" churning out dogs for profit.
Ah but if they are creating a 'type' then they are on the way to creating a breed! People prefer the shaggy, slightly curly coated pups and these are the ones that sell the best so in essence, what sells will be what people breed so a breed will probably come out of it but it is not currently the aim.
Yes pure breeds have overpopulation issues and in the main the breeds that are over produced are the ones that produce large litter son relatively poor diets and in poor conditions such as Labs, gsd's, westies, staffies etc and these are the ones that puppy farmers churn out which we all know from experience that stopping them is a hugely difficult task. One reason I never take the most popular breeds list seriously, the are popular because when joe public goes to a puppy supermarket that is all they have on show for reasons stated above.
As for bulldogs and bassets being unhealthy looking I think that can be applied to any dog that is poorly bred, if you don't select for health, temperament and type then you end up with problems. It's when people concentrate on one aspect (and this includes doodle breeders) that problems arise.
In Labradoodles they have temperament issues, Addisons, Hip Dysplasia, eye problems, SA etc etc simply because people put anything to anything in the beginning without thought!
Becky
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:15 AM
But what is a Breed except a dog that conforms to a set 'type!'...in looks or temperment.

Look at the difference in Border collie looks....some have long legs,some short, some long coats, some short....and don't get me started on Colour....but they are all Border Collies... and recognisable as such.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I think we're actually all singing (for the most part) from the same hymn sheet, just maybe on different verses.

I asked the question before which I think only one person answered (and it wasn't intended to be an argumentative question):
Do you think only pure bred dogs should be bred?

Because that's the kind of impression I get which may be competely off the mark.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But what is a Breed except a dog that conforms to a set 'type!'...in looks or temperment.

Look at the difference in Border collie looks....some have long legs,some short, some long coats, some short....and don't get me started on Colour....but they are all Border Collies... and recognisable as such.
Okay, so maybe the doodle can become like the collie then. At least that way there can still be good diversity in the "type" without getting knickers in a knot about exact looks and conformation.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I think we're actually all singing (for the most part) from the same hymn sheet, just maybe on different verses.

I asked the question before which I think only one person answered (and it wasn't intended to be an argumentative question):
Do you think only pure bred dogs should be bred?

Because that's the kind of impression I get which may be competely off the mark.
There are some who believe only pure bred dogs should be bred. I agree partly with this sentiment, however, I am not against people creating a new breed if they so wish as long as it is done correctly. However, I am against the indiscriminate breeding of crosses for the sake of producing a cross, it's pointless, too unpredictable in the outcome and is done, in the main, for financial gain!
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2009, 09:44 AM
There was nothing in that long statement which I disagreed with.
There is no ideal dog for all people, and this cross can be very wrong for people who do not do their homework.

This would be true of any purebred dog, as well.
I believe that this is the main cause of ALL dogs being abandoned to shelters.

What I have been trying to point out, is that there are knowledgeable owners and reputable breeders of these dogs.We have done our homework, and these dogs are our ideal dog.
Truly amazing little chaps.
Yet , with all your 15 yrs of research, and looking and knowing there are ethical breeders of Doodles.... you went ahead and bought one from a breder who is not ethical, as she does not health test her dogs.

So you will have to forgive us, for the misunderstanding as to why you did this..when you profess to know so many knowledgeable ethical breeders

I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH THIS ISSUE.

My tone has gotten testy and unfriendly...and there really is not much more to be said that has not already been said.
Why has your tone become unfriendly, it is possible to debate a subject from both sides without getting testy and unfriendly.

Maybe its because you cant justify buying from a breeder who does not health test her dogs.
Page 28 of 30 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 >