View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Maybe the owner is a first time owner and although didnt like what was happening allowed it to happen because they thought it was the right thing to do, I would be worried that the owner might copy this at home though.
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Wow, that is a shocking thing to happen. Poor Thomas.
Dont think I would want to go back to that class let alone, let that barbaric monster anywhere near one of my dogs.
The pindown should never have happened, if trainer did that for Thomas having a drink, what the hell would he do for a more serious misdemeanor?
If this training club is registered can you not complain to the governing body ie PDTA?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
In 30 years training dogs that are considered dangerous (bite training) i have never used an alpha roll. So there is no reason do do that with a puppy
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Disgusting. What are these people doing? They are telling more and more people that this is the right way to train a dog. It is very worrying ;-(
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I'd complain to whomever runs the training. That's tantamount to abuse.
Becky
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 07:58 AM
That's awful....But as others have said maybe the owner is a first time dog owner and we do tend to bow to people in authority don't we. My trainer would never dream of doing anything like that. Last week we had a very boisterious dog that was upsetting the class he got away from his owner and proceeded to romp around playing. cyril just ignored him and the poor owner was chasing him round the field. In the in Cyril just walked over to the gate with the owner and of course the dog followed...job done, no shouting, and certainly none of that pinning down. I wouldn't have been able to keep my gob shut, but that's me...gobby mare.

I would report him if that was my dog.

elaine x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I was sitting next to the trainer who takes the puppy class at this time and pointed out to her that that was one of the reasons I skipped the intermediate class. What concerns me is this - Thomas's owner just stood there. he didn't take his dog back, he didn't tell the trainer he would deal with Thomas, he didn't insist he let Thomas go or get up, he didn't say anything about him hurting Thomas - he did absolutely nothing. Idiot!

As if that wasn't bad enough, the trainer came over towards where we were sitting although a little way further down where his family were (what a great example to set his kids who were there with one of his dogs!) and I heard him say that was the way to deal with big dogs.
Hi Laura, I'm afraid I would have had to speak to the trainer at the end of his class, something on the lines of 'Do you mind of I ask if you belong to any recognised training organisation if so which one , what you did to that dog is the sort of thing good trainers just don't do' !

These are methods which must not be used by APDT trainers...
Appendix 1
Such equipment includes check/choke chains, prong or spike collars, electric shock devices in any form, and high frequency sound devices which are designed to startle. There can never be a definitive list of equipment and techniques that the APDT does not permit. The following list gives examples of some of the equipment and training methods which are covered by the Code of Practice (‘Practice number 1’) not to be used in a dog training class.
Pet corrector – emits a hiss of cold air
Dog stop – emits a high pitched sound
Remote controlled spray collars
Automatically triggered spray collars
Antibark collar – emits spray directed onto dogs skin (including new product jet master)
Training discs
Liquid sprays
Loud noises e.g. rattle cans/bottles/Chains/keys
Throw stick/chain
Strong smelling substances e.g. smelling salts/ bite back
Punitive methods not to be used in a dog training class
Pinching – ears/feet/toes
Hitting
Biting (of dog)
‘Alpha roll’
Any manhandling that causes pain or discomfort
I would certainly report this trainer to any organisation to which he belongs and to the person in charge of organising the classes .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I personally feel that the problem with some of these classes is that owners think the trainer knows everything, therefore although inside they may not like what is happening they go along with it.

The problem is when we are faced with those in authority (or they'd have you believe) Dr's, Solicitors, Trainers.....we assume that they know and we don't.
Yes, it's the well known Milgram Effect unfortunately...

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Sometimes it can be the sheer surprise of the moment.. but a 15 minute hold down, I think I'd have been saying "pack it in" at the very least.
Personally if I witnessed it even, I'd be complaining to whomsoever runs the training club.

I'd love to know the logic behind the trainer's beliefs - was it that the dog dared to pull on the lead? because the dog made it to the bowl and so was "dominant" over the owner?

Do they not even know the basics, ie that the dog will have NO IDEA what it was being punished for????

It makes me so mad.

Also, a trainer in the States did a similar thing to a GSD adolescent - ie kept it down - and it ended up dying. The trainer literally killed the dog by keeping it down.

It makes me furious and so, so angry.

I agree a complaint should be made for many reasons, one being that people will start to think that's what one does to train dogs, and so it will continue. That trainer needs to be stopped and preferably to lose his or her job.

As an aside, my own dog is very well trained but I do let her do things like pull me over for a drink or take a break for a drink (or I may just ask for a quick sit first, then release) - she is a living creature not an automaton.....

Wys
x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I personally feel that the problem with some of these classes is that owners think the trainer knows everything, therefore although inside they may not like what is happening they go along with it.

The problem is when we are faced with those in authority (or they'd have you believe) Dr's, Solicitors, Trainers.....we assume that they know and we don't.

If that had of had been me just witnessing that, I'd of walked over and said something sorry but thats me.

Too true.....I always give a little speech at the beginning of my courses telling them all if they are worried about ANY of the methods I use or the exercises we do to TELL me....so far no-one has...although they do question why we do the exercises which is nice.

Maybe have a word with Thomas' owner...
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »