View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I'll be back later, but I'm sticking with my opinion, I cannot blame the policeman and his dog, and I actually said "accidents happen" and the fact that "he took his eye off the ball for a moment" I don't BLAME the kid, it's more an unfortunate accident, but I sure don't blame that copper nor his dog! The only thing I blame the kid for, is for getting so close when he had ample room in a back garden to get to safety. Remember "he was in the shed working on his scooter" he would have been safer to have stayed in the shed.

No, I'm not changing my mind, I have a right to an opinion, and I think this kid was bdooly stupid! I remember being 10 years old, and I don't think I'd have had the b*lls or the stupidity to approach a policeman with a big, scarey dog on the end of a lead, because my mother taught me to be sensible in times of danger and leg it!

ETA your comment regarding your assumption that I am saying kids should be s*** scared of the police is true! Keep out of their way when they're dealing with a criminal and have a hyped up, fully trained dog on the end of a lead! Darn sure they should be taught to be scared of them THEN and keep well out the way! My mum would have taught me that too! If you meet them in the street though, they're friendly and nice, but NOT in those circumstances, it stands to reason and kids should be taught that, to leave them alone to get on with their job in hand.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Well who'd want to be on trial with Helena on the jury
Jeez the father is the criminal and it's an accident the dog bit the child, well if the child had fallen on top of the dog I'd follow your logic but he didn't. Not all gardens are big some on estates are tiny and the dog was no doubt between him and the house. I don't even know for certain how I'd react in those circumstances let alone a 10 year old.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't know about anyone else here but children I parent have been brought up to go to police and trust them, blimey who else should a child trust if not a police person ! Certainly would be disappointed if they ran away when they saw one, and I may add best way to attract a police dogs attention is run away from it !
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Bit contradictory Helena ...

I don't BLAME the kid, it's more an unfortunate accident, but I sure don't blame that copper nor his dog! The only thing I blame the kid for, is for getting so close when he had ample room in a back garden to get to safety. Remember "he was in the shed working on his scooter" he would have been safer to have stayed in the shed.
You are blaming the kid.

As for this:
No, I'm not changing my mind, I have a right to an opinion, and I think this kid was bdooly stupid!
Since when did 'being stupid' become an offence or an indication of guilt or a reason for blame? Is it OK for 'stupid kids' to be attacked by dogs?

How about mentally handicapped children? Are they fair game for being attacked because they don't have the 'sense' you think they should have when it comes to thinking on their feet in an unusual and unexpected situation?

Without knowing more detail and/or reading the results of the enquiry into this incident I would not apportion blame squarely but can definitely say I DO NOT BLAME THE KID NOT IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

I'm not suggesting you should change your mind. Your mind seems to be firmly made up about this on just what you've read so far. But I'm not changing my mind either! Not about whether the kid should bear any 'blame' nor about my feelings about what you've said about it.

Anyone who has kids will no doubt be able to think of many many occasions when we've said to our kids 'that was a bit stupid wasn't it?' about something they've done. Kids are not adults and do not have the reasoning powers of adults.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Oh come on, the child needed 20 stitches, what more do you need to know.

Jackie,
Re. 20 stitches, the resulting injury is not in contention, I have already said the boy is not to blame here. What i said was "we were not there" to see what took place and understand why the officer failed to see the child. ie, the reason the officer failed to control his dog.

It's all very easy to pronounce a view in such a definitive manner, but without actually witnessing the event it is just conjecture. We will never know.

Off to the woods now for a stroll in the rain, the pleasures of being a dog owner eh?
I think the point is we don't need to have witnessed the incident to know A dog bite A child, resulting in 20 stitches ... The whys and whatnots are immaterial apart from the handler not being in control....if he was the dog would not have made contact...

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
The dog is not to blame. IMO this was just the unfortunate consequences that occasionally happen when police dogs have to be deployed. They are trained to bite - to hold on and prevent escape until their handler has caught up and made the arrest or whatever. Police dogs - unlike our pet dogs - have little or no restraint where children are concerned, and although tragic, horrible and extremely frightening for the poor boy and his family, I really don't think we should blame the police or the dog. Everyone was doing their duty - we moan constantly about the police not doing their duty, and then we moan when things go awry as in this case.

It is an extremely unfortunate accident and the boy and his family should of course receive the best of care in terms of medical treatment, pyschological assessment and treatment etc. etc. Doubtless the poor lad will be suffering trauma and will need psychiatric help of some sort. But IMO it is totally unfair and unreasonable to blame the police and the dog in any way.
I disagree, the blame should be placed firmly on the person holding the end of the lead, in this case the police dog handler.

If you were holding one of your dogs and it bite someone/ child, you would be held firmly to blame in the eyes of the law, so what's the difference.

A dog bit someone due to the person on the end of the lead failing their responsibility .
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Given that the full details of the situation are not fully known,I can only imagine this 10 year old must have been in total shock. Being faced with a rather large police dog in pursuit of a criminal must be a sight to behold,Frightening for an adult,never mind a child.Having the good sense to stay clear or having any time to react was probably lost on this kid, as he was most likely absolutely terrified.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2013, 02:28 PM
... The whys and whatnots are immaterial apart from the handler not being in control....if he was the dog would not have made contact...

The police disagree with you:

Chief Inspector Ian Marsh said: "This poor young boy has gone through an absolutely horrendous ordeal and my thoughts are with him and his family as he recovers from his injuries. We appologise unreservedly for what has happened and have launched an investigation to fully understand exactly how an innocent young lad came to be bitten by a police dog in the safety of his own back garden."

He added: "Police dogs and their handlers receive intensive training and play crucial roles in the arrest of suspects day in, day out, but on the very rare occasions where things go wrong, it's vital we understand why and learn the lessons to ensure it doesn't happen again."

The officer and the dog involved in the incident continue to carry out regular duties after an initial independent assessment.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Are you sure you'd feel the same if it was your child in your garden?
Yup absolutely
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
In this day and age, a 10 year old boy is pretty street wise and usually has a gob on him, and I cannot understand why he didn't use both!

I've watched many a police programme, seen the dog handlers throw the dog over walls/fences, and I think it is OUR job to keep out of the way and let them both do their job. This boy knew they were police officers, he was supposedly "in the shed fixing his scooter" and in my estimation, he would have been safe if he'd stayed in said shed and called out to the police. That didn't happen, WHY did he come right over that close to the policeman looking underneath the car? Surely a 10 yr old knows what a policeman and a police dog looks like don't they and have been taught to keep AWAY from them?

I have a 10 yr old little boy next door, and along with that he's also autistic, but I'm darn sure he'd keep out of the way if he saw a a policeman dressed in uniform with a hyped up dog at the end of a metre lead.

It's not as if this boy was "surprised" in any way, because he was IN THE SHED! Not as if he was sitting on the ground playing with his mates and the dog barges in on them in HIS garden.

My opinion is, there's a big part of this story missing, and I bet the culprit of metal theift was actually in that house if not hiding underneath that car, and the kid came over to protect his dad, that's more like it

I haven't changed my mind, I'm with the policeman and his dog, I have the utmost respect for our police force, they endure tremendous sh*t thrown at them nowadays, especially on this type of estate, and they must have been pretty desperate to catch this guy, and took their eye off the ball maybe for a minute or two.

If the kid as all innocent along with the family in that house, then I'll eat my words, and could bed persuaded to change my mind, but as it stands having read the article, I'm sticking with my opinion.

Anyway, who's blaming the kid? I can't see where anyone has blamed the kid, except for saying he should have had more bdooly sense, and kept his distance, especially at 10! I'm saying the policeman and his dog were doing their job, and I'll bet my bottom dollar when the full story comes out, that kid WENT over to him to protect his dad underneath that car - probably, and that is WRONG if he did, he was hindering a policeman in the line of duty and that's against the law, 10 years old or not, if he's savvy enough to do that, then he's savvy enough to have kept well out of it.

Why didn't the kid run indoors then if he was that scared??? He had every opportunity cos the dog was ONlead!
As the mother of a child with ADHD and LD's I absolutely agree with you H. I smell a rat here, as clearly you do
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I don't know about anyone else here but children I parent have been brought up to go to police and trust them, blimey who else should a child trust if not a police person ! Certainly would be disappointed if they ran away when they saw one, and I may add best way to attract a police dogs attention is run away from it !
I don't think anyone has suggested that the child should have run away Unless of course he was guilty of something
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »