Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Barbed Wire And Dogs Don't Go Together

We only got Kasper 8 days ago (I was fostering him, but he and I decided he belonged with us as he is soooooo lovely and gets on so well with Milly and the human family) and he has settled in so well. Fabulous nature, lovely character, beautiful looks - just totally besotted by him

But he must be feeling completely bewildered by everything now as yesterday afternoon my lovely 8 month old boy raced through some woodland only to be ripped across his belly (centimetres short of his dog/manhood) by some barbed wire hidden in the bushes
Poor little mite - had to rush him to the vet for general anaesthetic, stitching etc.

Spent all night sleeping on floor with him as he was so distressed and seemed to be in pain despite the long acting pain killer he was given. I have to take him back to vet tomorrow to check all mending ok, but he looks such a mess with the stitching and padding, and understandably he's feeling very sorry for himself because he can't get to the stitches (horrible buster collar atm - comfy collar in the post as I type) and I expect they're starting to pull and itch, he mustn't jump or run, can't play with his buddy, can't get comfortable, etc. etc.

I feel so sad for him, as he's such an active boy and loves nothing better than a good chase around the garden with Milly or through the woods. Still, I suppose it could have been a lot worse, keeping fingers and toes crossed that it all heals up well and he's back to normal before long.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Oh poor Kasper! I hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow and that in a couple of weeks time he's back to his bouncy self - and keeping out of those bushes.

Gentle hugs from me xx
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 01:04 PM
oh big hugs to Kasper, hope it heals quick- Barb wire = yuck horrid stuff especially when it's left to ruins and not replaced or disgarded properly
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Poor Kasper - what a horrible thing to happen to him I really hope he recovers really quickly.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Poor boy, no wonder he feels sorry for himself, get well soon Kasper.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Hope the poor boy is ok and it goes well tomorrow.

I have seen some very nasty injuries because of barbed wire I was on a shoot once and a friends springer jumped the fence (before he had a chance to stop him), and he got caught on it and was just hanging there - absolutely horrific but luckily, he recovered.

I hate, hate, hate the stuff.

Helen
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your wiishes. Kasper is now back to his normal high action self and full of beans - unfortunately the vet says he has to REST and STAY QUIET ????? What planet are these people on. She also suggested we crate him for a large portion of the day - not that I'd really want to, but have they tried getting a dog with a huge buster collar into a crate and then settling him down, especially when all he wants to do is play ... and for this to continue for another TEN days. Somebody pass me the valium, gin, whatever, cos I think I'm going to need it before long

I hate the barbed wire with a passion now. It's bad enough its there in the first place, but there really doesn't seem to be any reason as to why it's there in the first place. It was on National Trust land, so maybe I'll try and contact them about it.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Nancy's currently got a wonderful pink bandage with paw prints on courtesy of what I strongly suspect to be the same after her great escape... ripped a huge gash across one of her back legs and had the trip to the vets to be sewn up.

Thankfully being a hound she doesn't do much anyway so the rest part isn't being that arkward.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Oh dear, not good at all. Maybe you could give him arnica to help with the healing whilst he is sore?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi, I found the Comfy Cone to be great. My dog went nuts in a normal buster collar, but was quite calm with the Comfy Cone on. It might work better in a crate. I know how frustrating it is waiting for a better collar to turn up in the post while your dog is injured and stressed (been through it twice). I posted a review here
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=161479

Berkshire isn't a million miles away. I'm in West London. If you're getting desperate and the collar is the right size, you're welcome to borrow my Comfy Cone if it's any help....

Hope he's feeling better soon, poor lad
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >