Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Very painful ear

Hi,

About 5 days ago I got up in the morning and Diesels right ear had dropped kind of sideways and was on a bit of a slant Throughout the day it righted itself and then it dropped again etc etc. The past couple of days he has yelped every time he's shook his head, I brushed him yesterday and was very gentle round his ear and he cried when I stroked my hand down it. He was scratching it this morning really gently and yelping over and over again.

I took him to work with me yesterday and it never bothered him all day, it seems to come and go. Ive had a look down his ear, it's not red at all, theres not any discharge (although there is a little bit of 'crusty' in his fur) I cant see a thing wrong with it.

Ive got him booked in at the vets tomorrow morning. Any thoughts what the hell it could be? Could something have fallen in there? - he does have very big ears, bless him

Thanks x
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Some times things can get in there and be painful, like grass seeds and such. Glad he has an appointment, make sure to come back and let us know what it is
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Could also be an ear infection starting up. Vet appointment is in order me thinks
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 11:55 PM
If the ear is sort of hanging 'low', then it can be that a grass seed for instance has got trapped in it. Or, it can be an ear infection.

Dex had this a while back, so I know what you mean when you say the ear is kind of 'slanting' or looks different!

You've done the right thing by booking a vet's appointment
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Good luck today. Hope all goes well at the vets
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Ears are so painful when they have problems. Good luck at the vets - please keep us posted.

x0x
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi, thanks for the replies everyone.

I took Diesel to the vets yesterday and it appears to be an ear infection, they are BOTH inflamed, though his right one (the one that was bothering him) is worse. The vet did ask if my other dog is having trouble with her ears - which she isn't. And if Diesel is having any skin problems, which he isn't, so it appears to be an infection. He's given me some ear drops to put in for a week and he said it should clear it up so fingers crossed!!

So I left the vets with one stressed out dog who, bless him, had his very painful ear examined and was as good as gold and with my purse £50 lighter, hooray!

Hopefully, these drops should sort it out

xx