Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
When I had Champa he was not happy with other dogs, at one point he picked my JRT up and shook her slitting her throat. He also made holes in the others
Tbh I wasn't will to subject my other dogs to this possiblity, neither was I willing to get bitten or attacked myself.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Tbh I wasn't will to subject my other dogs to this possiblity, neither was I willing to get bitten or attacked myself.

Adam
Muzzle?

rune
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-11-2010, 10:25 PM
What all day? Besides he could still attack (just not bite) and scare the others. It all so doesn't solve anything.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
What all day? Besides he could still attack (just not bite) and scare the others. It all so doesn't solve anything.

Adam
Yes it does---it does however need management and commitment. Something you seem sadly lacking in.

If you didn't have time to walk the dog seperately maybe you shouldn't have taken it on.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:57 PM
TBH a new dog with known agression issues whos world has just been turned upside down imo should not be mixing with your dogs that early on

In your oppinion what was the reason for the dogs agression?? Why did you consider the e collar the best method right from the start?
I agree I was not willing to let mia bit myself or ben, so as soon as I was aware of the problems I managed the situations to make sure it didnt happen again.
Had I known of previous agression issues - or I had been more savvy, these measures would have been in place from day 1
I dont believe the e collar is an option EVER, but even for those who do use them I cannot see how it can be the FIRST resort for a dog that comes into your home

I ask again, as a dog trainer can you not see how unhappy that little dog is in your videos?? It is so pitiful for me to see if I could lift him out of the screen and away from you then I would do
I cannot see how the ends can justify that
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
IMHO these videos are very similar to many others on the net - the dogs concerned look hesitant, scared, slow, confused, etc.

One of the big big problems I have with this kind of training is that the dogs don't have anything to compare their behaviour with - they are punished, but so rarely rewarded. Usually the "reward" is the absence or avoidance of the "stim" - it's escape training, basically

Therefore they are not confident dogs. They await always, the next stim. Especially if you follow some of the info about training with shock collars - dogs often have to "beat the stim" which means that even if they are being obedient, they may still be stimmed to make them go faster, for example. Very common in the US gundog world.

I don't really have the words to express my sadness at this really. I just wish that people overall could understand dogs better, and believe that they and indeed all animals, are deserving of our compassion and kindness.

Wys
x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
IMHO these videos are very similar to many others on the net - the dogs concerned look hesitant, scared, slow, confused, etc.

One of the big big problems I have with this kind of training is that the dogs don't have anything to compare their behaviour with - they are punished, but so rarely rewarded. Usually the "reward" is the absence or avoidance of the "stim" - it's escape training, basically

Therefore they are not confident dogs. They await always, the next stim. Especially if you follow some of the info about training with shock collars - dogs often have to "beat the stim" which means that even if they are being obedient, they may still be stimmed to make them go faster, for example. Very common in the US gundog world.

I don't really have the words to express my sadness at this really. I just wish that people overall could understand dogs better, and believe that they and indeed all animals, are deserving of our compassion and kindness.

Wys
x
That has really got to me, those poor, poor animals. We are indeed the ones in a position to treat dogs with compassion and it sickens me that there are people that just do not bother.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I ask again, as a dog trainer can you not see how unhappy that little dog is in your videos?? It is so pitiful for me to see if I could lift him out of the screen and away from you then I would do
I cannot see how the ends can justify that
I think we may be missing the point somewhat here, perhaps Adam is more about making money as a dog trainer than doing what is in the best interests of any dog he trains, am I getting close Adam?

Adam , a reliable source told me that you frequents various sites in the USA including one belonging to a well known e collar salesman and that you have stated you were thinking of expanding your use of e collars to make them a major part of your business. Also that you intended to join a few uk forums to really promote e collars.

Now if this is the case it sounds to me that instead of choosing a training method to suit the circumstances of each individual dog, each dog whatever their problem will be seen as a suitable candidate for e collar training. Is my reliable source misinforming me ?

For me dog training should be about doing what is in the best interests of each dog without causing them pain, fear or additional behavioural problems not about making 'a quick buck'.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think we may be missing the point somewhat here, perhaps Adam is more about making money as a dog trainer than doing what is in the best interests of any dog he trains, am I getting close Adam?

Adam , a reliable source told me that you frequents various sites in the USA including one belonging to a well known e collar salesman and that you have stated you were thinking of expanding your use of e collars to make them a major part of your business. Also that you intended to join a few uk forums to really promote e collars.

Now if this is the case it sounds to me that instead of choosing a training method to suit the circumstances of each individual dog, each dog whatever their problem will be seen as a suitable candidate for e collar training. Is my reliable source misinforming me ?

For me dog training should be about doing what is in the best interests of each dog without causing them pain, fear or additional behavioural problems not about making 'a quick buck'.
That is awful!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
That is awful!
But unfortunately to be expected.

Its no secret that Adm, is pro the e.collar and there use for everythign dog related.

it is also no secret...thanks to Adam himself.... what a terrible trainer he is...even with the e.collar he has no control, over the basics..

The old saying a picture paints a thousand words.... well the videos Adam so proudly posted , do that tenfold.

Thanks again Adam, for confirming our opinion on your ability as a trainer!!
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 98 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 > Last »