Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I would never buy a dog from a breeder - I'll awlays go to Dog's Trust. But that's jsut my preference
Please don't tar all breeders with the same brush !!!

These people that chuck out Designer Dogs with silly names and a massive price tag aren't breeders, they are scammers !!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-04-2008, 02:31 PM
There is nothing wrong , in my opinion ,in buying a dog from an Ethical breeder who does all the appropriate |Health checks etc. provided the buyer has also did their homework on the breed they are buying. What I find ludicrous is anyone who either breeds or buys these crossbreeds with the fancy names and these people asking for and /or paying over the top prices for them. The buyers have either not done their homework or if they have ,are so blinkered that they can't, or do not wan't to see , that they are not getting an unusual breed for their money, but what is a crossbreed with a fancy name.
Yes Paris Hilton and a lot of the pop stars are influencing the sale of these so called "designer breeds" but if buyers had a little ecommon sense they would not be taken in by this. They need educated, but the question is how.

Yes it is nice to rescue and give a dog a home, but sometimes people want a dog to show in conformation shows and they shoudldnot be condemned for not going to a rescue centre, because of this. At the moment I show and my dogs are from a breeder but I have nothing against having a rescue dog and it could be when the time is right I will have a rescure but my point is everyone is entitled to freedom of choice when deciding to have a dog.

Sorry I have gone a bit off topic but I just wanted to point this out.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Good post lovezois.
If it were not for people buying breeds from reputable breeders the what would happen to all the recognised breeds?
I chose rescue not through any altruistic reason but because, to be perfectly honest, I could not afford anything else at the time. Who knows one day I might have a pedigree, and we know what that will be, don't we?
So for the time being I have a cross breed.......known as a Lurcher/longdog
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks Nippy and may I just say what a lovely Lurcher/Longdog he is.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I would never buy a dog from a breeder - I'll awlays go to Dog's Trust. But that's jsut my preference
I have recently discovered that the Dogs Trust apparently no longer do home checks, as long as you turn up to see the dog 3 times then you can take them home!
Becky
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I have recently discovered that the Dogs Trust apparently no longer do home checks, as long as you turn up to see the dog 3 times then you can take them home!
Becky
Oooooh that is a bit of a worry.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky

Where did you find that out Becky? I'm very surprised by that.
Here's a link to the website and it shows all the stages in rehoming a dog:
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/adopt_a_dog/
I'll have to give my Dog's Trust a ring to see if they've changed it there. They came out to check our home and were here for a good hour.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Yes it is nice to rescue and give a dog a home, but sometimes people want a dog to show in conformation shows and they shoudldnot be condemned for not going to a rescue centre, because of this.
I just said that was my preference. I didn't condemn anyone
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-04-2008, 03:37 PM
I just said that was my preference. I didn't condemn anyone
I was only giving my point of view. I never once inferred you were condemning anyone and I never quoted you, so don't know where the came from.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Where was the show
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >