Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
It is not gambled on, as I've already said !

As for taking advantage ?? Go to a rally and watch a dog who's never been fitted with a harness, but who's instincts are so inherantly strong that the urge to pull takes over

You cannot force or take advantage of a determined, stubborn sled dog (which they all are) to pull in harness, it's natural to them.

You can only lead a horse to water, you cannot make them drink !
Only not gambled in this country, it is elsewhere!

The instincts of a sled dog is to pull, the instincts of a greyhound is to hunt, and chase, racing is just a loowing the greyhound to do what it wants to do!

I know you can't force a sled dog to pull, likewise you can't force a hound to chase! There is no advantage being taken of either type of dog, you aer only allowing it to do what it chooses!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Just a quick nip back in (you know why Dawn ) no couldnt trace them her tats have been scrubbed and the closests we can get to them is a brown dog - ermmm not the thing on its back one of the sofa then
The tat's had been scrubbed, are you sure? They may have just faded! This is a reason why I believe they should use DNA, as you can't remove that!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 03:38 PM
We have just taken in 2 ex-racers and i'm unsure on my opinion of racing. One thing i do believe is that there should be more in the media about these ex-racers.
The kennels we adopted from do roadshows at local pet stores and in towns nearby. I just wish there was more info about what wonderful pets they make. We have only had ours 3 weeks but already our home would be empty without them.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I had just typed out another long response to some of your points as I really thought we were having an interesting and polite discussion. (Ive copied it for anyone who might wish to view it) Im sorry you feel that all those against have no idea what they are talking about and only go on media hype, obviously theres not much to discuss further if thats your opinion. I could say that I find it sad that those for blame the media for all thats wrong with the industry but that would be a generalisation. Maybe your right and the atrocities are all made up by the media or those with something to gain from the end of commercial racing or maybe some are just to sickened to go into detail. The only piece of my response I will put is this
I would like to read it if you would send it to me!

Because I would condemn anyone that has stood idiolly by whilst the Negatives have happened! PLease could you tell me how they greyhounds are made to chase! Every dog that is on the track are ones that chose to chase. Jade is one that chose not to!

Yet you support the industry that for the last 80 years has stood idly by and done nothing about any of the negatives and still isnt? Yet blast someone who will not support an industry they disapprove of? I have one that didn’t have the chance to find out – broken toe – dumped on the street picked up from a pound when her time was up! Another yep loved to chase was good at it too – dumped into rescue when to old. Now I know those supporting the industry see nothing wrong with this happening and that’s their opinion but why do the same people condemn puppy farmers when they dump their used up dogs?

I would ask if you feel the way about all things people disapprove of? Do you have to witness first hand the atrocities before you can have an opinion?
That is incorrect, the industry has changed and continually changes, but has a long way to go!

You don't need to witness first hand before you can have an opinion, but the media make out that it is everyone involved that do these things, but it is only a minority! It is less than 1% of the owners i have known that are like this! I don't agree with people dumping their dogs, and think more needs to be done to stop this! All I am saying is don't tar everyone with the same brush as the media do!

I have fostered dogs coming out of yards full of ticks, fleas, with horrendous teeth, so fearful of humans its pityful to see. One of my own whilst loves her mum is very scared of any new man she meets. Ive transported dogs in pretty bad conditions but then again it all could be media hype.
No media hype portrays the bad, it never shows the dogs excitement when they get to the track, or hearing the other dogs run! I have witnessed many dogs that are fearful of humans, and most of these are IRish pups, and I would like to see something done about that.

Why have you transported dogs in bad conditions?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
I know you can't force a sled dog to pull, likewise you can't force a hound to chase! There is no advantage being taken of either type of dog
So, please explain your previous post :

That's fair enough, but is sled racing taking advantage of of the dogs too!
Sled dogs here are only run, if they will, for FUN ! Those that don't wish to on the day don't and aren't forced to.

Greyhound racing is not for fun ! It's a gambling sport, the same as Horse racing, it's competitive for money.

As I said before, I beleive every dog should do, or be allowed to do what it was bred for, but take away the gambling element and the money and the competitiveness and you will have a very different sport indeed ! One that cares more for the dogs, and don't dump them, and keeps them as pets doing something they enjoy as apposed to being a commodity.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by grommit View Post
We have just taken in 2 ex-racers and i'm unsure on my opinion of racing. One thing i do believe is that there should be more in the media about these ex-racers.
The kennels we adopted from do roadshows at local pet stores and in towns nearby. I just wish there was more info about what wonderful pets they make. We have only had ours 3 weeks but already our home would be empty without them.
There are lots of myths that surround greyhounds as pets, which people off. My personal opinion is that greyhounds make fantastic pets! I am glad yours have settled in well.

Would you mind sharing with us the condition that they were in when you toook them home please.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
So, please explain your previous post :

Sled dogs here are only run, if they will, for FUN ! Those that don't wish to on the day don't and aren't forced to.

Greyhound racing is not for fun ! It's a gambling sport, the same as Horse racing, it's competitive for money.

As I said before, I beleive every dog should do, or be allowed to do what it was bred for, but take away the gambling element and the money and the competitiveness and you will have a very different sport indeed ! One that cares more for the dogs, and don't dump them, and keeps them as pets doing something they enjoy as apposed to being a commodity.
I was only comparing, that if greys are being taken advantage of, so are sled dogs! My opinion is that neither are, they are only doing the job they wish to do!

My point is that over here greyhound racing is the gambling sport, whereas in Northern Countries where greyhound aren't raced sled dog racing is gambled upon!

So do you believe that greyhounds should be allowed to coarse instead!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Our dogs were in fantastic shape to be honest with you. The kennels we got them from seem very good. They are very helpful if we need any advice and let us use their enclosed paddock for a safe run when the weather permits!

Phil did have a cyst on his head before we took him home but that was removed and well looked after at the kennels. The wound has healed fantastically.

In regards to racing to see our dogs run free in the field without a care in the world is the most amazing sight i have seen in a long time.. But I obviously believe that no dog should be badly treated so i guess it all comes down to strict regulations on every aspect.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by grommit View Post
Our dogs were in fantastic shape to be honest with you. The kennels we got them from seem very good. They are very helpful if we need any advice and let us use their enclosed paddock for a safe run when the weather permits!

Phil did have a cyst on his head before we took him home but that was removed and well looked after at the kennels. The wound has healed fantastically.

In regards to racing to see our dogs run free in the field without a care in the world is the most amazing sight i have seen in a long time.. But I obviously believe that no dog should be badly treated so i guess it all comes down to strict regulations on every aspect.
Thankyou for sharing! It is a lovely sight seeing hounds running isn't it!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I was only comparing, that if greys are being taken advantage of, so are sled dogs! My opinion is that neither are, they are only doing the job they wish to do!

My point is that over here greyhound racing is the gambling sport, whereas in Northern Countries where greyhound aren't raced sled dog racing is gambled upon!

So do you believe that greyhounds should be allowed to coarse instead!
If that's what they wish to do and bred to do then yes, WITHOUT the gambling.

I'm talking about any other country, they all have their own problems, I'm talking about the UK and our animal husbandry.
Page 5 of 157 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 105 > Last »