Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:53 PM

I've Only Gone & Done It !!!

Well, its official, Bradley and I start our training for the KC Good Citizen Award (Puppy), this Wednesday at Eastville Village Hall. :smt026

I spoke to the chap today, having received the info from the KC. His Name Is Nicki George and he sounded very nice, I explained that I've only ever shown my dogs and it will be an English Setter that I'll be training with. That didn't seem to put him off, in fact, he said we should have a lot of fun.

I know its a very basic course but we all have to start somewhere and I'm so excited about the prospect of trying something new. Plus, I'll have the added bonus of having my beloved Bradley accompanying me. I just can't wait.

The chap said that I should take some titbits or a favourite toy with me, I usually take nibbles when I'm at ringcraft so I've got that covered. Can anyone think of anything else I may need?
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2006, 03:06 PM
good luck Gracie has her bronze and Ollie has his gold, the course is great fun, you will also need brush or cloth as you have to show you can handle and touch your dog
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by gracelund View Post
good luck Gracie has her bronze and Ollie has his gold, the course is great fun, you will also need brush or cloth as you have to show you can handle and touch your dog
Thanks for that, will get them into my bag ready.
reclaimingrebus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
flat shoes, nothing dangly, a bottle of water, flat collar and a lead you can scrunch up in your hand !
Good luck and have fun.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Sheree - I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Bradley - did my Bronze with Charlie (my English) and two of my Gordons - I think Setters are very smart they just chose to ignore what we ask - its more I will do what I want to do not what you want me to do and what's in it for me if I do it!!!

Charlie's recall was always my biggest challenge at training ! the other dogs just seemed so much more interesting!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Best of luck & don't forget the poo bag & disc on your dogs collar !
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by reclaimingrebus View Post
flat shoes, nothing dangly, a bottle of water, flat collar and a lead you can scrunch up in your hand !
Good luck and have fun.
Thanks very much, am really looking forward to it.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Best of luck & don't forget the poo bag & disc on your dogs collar !
Thanks Joedee, He always has a collar on with his tag on it, and I've always got ample supply of the bags, just in case, lol. Do they check his tag, is that part of the course, perhaps to make sure I'm a responsible owner? I've got to take his innoculation certificate too. I suppose I'll find out a lot tomorrow when I actually get there.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Hi Sheree - I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Bradley - did my Bronze with Charlie (my English) and two of my Gordons - I think Setters are very smart they just chose to ignore what we ask - its more I will do what I want to do not what you want me to do and what's in it for me if I do it!!!

Charlie's recall was always my biggest challenge at training ! the other dogs just seemed so much more interesting!
Hi Rachel,
Thanks for that, I have to say that Bradley is a bit like Giddy in that he isn't really too disobedient so, fingers crossed, he will enjoy it enough to get through it. Did you start off on the puppy level or did you go straight onto bronze, also was Charlie on par with the other breeds or did you find him a bit slower at picking things up? Sorry for all the questions but I just don't have a clue with regards to training other than for the show ring. x
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Rachel,
Thanks for that, I have to say that Bradley is a bit like Giddy in that he isn't really too disobedient so, fingers crossed, he will enjoy it enough to get through it. Did you start off on the puppy level or did you go straight onto bronze, also was Charlie on par with the other breeds or did you find him a bit slower at picking things up? Sorry for all the questions but I just don't have a clue with regards to training other than for the show ring. x
No worries for the questions Sheree - we started off with puppy class first - and no way was he slower than the others at all - in fact don't mean to brag but he was actually one of the smartest at picking things up! It was just his recall that he decided to be a pain but eventually I used a bulls pizzle and used to show him that prior to the recall (then tuck it away in my treat bag - a bum bag) you might find that useful. The training class I attended was a clicker class!

You will have a great time I'm sure! Honest setters are smart deep down!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >