Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
juli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Agility classes - what to look out for?

What should i look for when hunting for best place to go, there are a few agility classes round here and i'm a bit bewildered with it all, are they all basically the same? How soon can you tell if you're dog really isn't getting it and won't be any good? Is there anything i can do at home to see if he would be any good? Do you only go for a certain amount of time or is it an ongoing thing? Sorry loads of questions i know but i need to know that it would be a good thing to do.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I assume its the Border Collie you're talking about, and I don't think there's much doubt that he/she would enjoy it. They need that kind of activity as a substitute for their normal work. They're generally good at it from the start. You could try a few jumps etc. in the garden but you really need the space and equipment. As for choice, all you can do is go along first as a spectator and see how the atmosphere, methods and so on appeal to you. Is everyone having fun ? That's what it's all about.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 06:58 PM
No not all clubs are the same. Some are only orientated to people wanting to compete and don`t give enough attention to those doing it purely as an extra bit of fun activity for themselves and their dog.
Some are only interested in training the collies and don`t think any other dogs are worth the effort.
Some have excellent instructors, some have rubbish ones, and others are anywhere in between.

At the club where I teach for instance, I invite and encourage people to come along to watch as often as they like to see how we train, to get to know the members, to ask questions, to see if the dogs are happy during training, [ I don`t allow harsh handling and nor should any agility club imo ], and to then decide if we are the right club for them.

Most clubs start new beginners with a basic course initially [ mine is six weeks ] to initially introduce the dogs to the equipment and after that is when the more flowing training begins while the handler and dog gain confidence in what they are doing.

I have in the past had to tell one handler that her dog just was`nt enjoying agility and guided her toward trying different activities instead as there is no point pushing a dog which does`nt like it imo. I would hope any reputable instructor would do the same.
[ Also, please see below for my response to Paul ]

It is an ongoing thing though many dogs benefit greatly from taking breaks some times as they tend to come back re-energised for it.

There are a few things which can be done at home but ideally if you can go and watch at a club and talk things through with a good trainer, thats the best guidence to follow really as so many bad habits can occur without the watchful eye of a trainer.
[ I am in the process of putting together a general guide of some agility home training do`s and don`ts for Dogsey readers which you may find helpful when its done ].
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
I assume its the Border Collie you're talking about, and I don't think there's much doubt that he/she would enjoy it. They need that kind of activity as a substitute for their normal work. They're generally good at it from the start. You could try a few jumps etc. in the garden but you really need the space and equipment. As for choice, all you can do is go along first as a spectator and see how the atmosphere, methods and so on appeal to you. Is everyone having fun ? That's what it's all about.
Paul, please have a word with Gremlin, one of my BC girls - she see`s no point to agility whatsoever, its just not ladylike in her opinion :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

My Lurcher on the other hand, when he is ready to compete, will be putting many collies to shame

Juli also has a Jack Russell - one of the best dogs at our club is a Jack Russell - talk about focussed !!!, along with some other *fantastic* agility Terriers

A dog being born a BC is no guarantee of being more keen nor better at agility than any other dog, as with all breeds some are right for it and some are`nt
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Find a class that starts you on a begginers course for a few weeks and that introduces each piece of equipment slowly and that never forces the dogs to do it.
Perhaps go along and watch a few begginers sessions first to be certain.
I personally would avoid a club that got you trying to race round all the equipment from the start as it will just overwhelm and possibly scare your dog.
Good Luck and I am sure you and your dog started properly will both have a great time and love it.

Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
Why do you presume it would be a border collie? I hadn't a clue reading Juli post.
I have a JRT and a Rottie x GSD who both love it and I know a fantastic and very fast Standard poodle along with very good Border terriers and Staffies and other breeds and crossbreeds.
Agility is not a border collie exclusive sport. Most breeds and xbreeds can do agility and are very good focused and fast.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Why do you presume it would be a border collie? I hadn't a clue reading Juli post.
I have a JRT and a Rottie x GSD who both love it and I know a fantastic and very fast Standard poodle along with very good Border terriers and Staffies and other breeds and crossbreeds.
Agility is not a border collie exclusive sport. Most breeds and xbreeds can do agility and are very good focused and fast.
I think he looked at the picture with the collie on or perhaps Julis profile which does say BC and Jack Russell, and hazzard a guess it was the collie, That's not to say that we haven't got two fab little jack russells at our agility club. They're great to watch springing round.
No one is saying that agility is a BC exclusive sport. Everyone would agree though that it is a BC dominated one though. That's why they now have ABC classes which I have to say, I love watching. Anyone that loves their agility don't care what breed they have. It's a thing that dog and handler can share and enjoy themselves My favourite personally is my friends Standard poodle.
I think the main thing to do regards finding a club is one that emphasises on the fun side of it and not heavily on the competition. A certain well know club in my area, saying no more, were only interested BC and then only one's that were committed to go all the way. Didn't bother touching them. I found a great little club where we all meet up with a flask of coffee and a slice of cake on a Sunday morning and train our dogs. Some of us compete and some don't. All are given equal encouragement whatever their level and whatever their breed.