Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Obedience Question

I was just wondering what was involved in the Pre-beginner level in competitive obedience and how glued to the leg the dog needs to be in the heelwork.

Just considering obedience as an option for my girl although I am aware the hpr subgroup of gundogs are not the easiest to train for this activity!

Do many hprs (gsp/weim/vizsla etc..) compete in competitive obedience and if so how successful are they?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 06:38 AM
I don't see many at shows but there are the odd few ... don't let that put you off though I do obedience with Malamutes

Heelwork needs to be as close as you can and tidy but do not think Crufts standard for the lower classes .... why not pop along and watch a show?? It's a great hobby and a lovely social scene too!!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2006, 07:18 AM
I have seen some terrific HPRs in the ring, especially GSPs

Ideally your dog should heel with her shoulder in line with the seam on your left trouser leg, and should be in that position in sits, stands, drops. Some judges here will penalize for the dog being too close and crowding the handler. So long as your dog is not heeling wide you should be ok.

Don't know the UK requirements for pre-beginners. Here Pre-novice exercises are: heel on lead, stand for examination on lead, recall, sit & drop stays with handler in sight.

Competition obedience can be a lot of fun - if you don't get too uptight about it all
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies

Will certainly look into it, but dont want to rush. Im still working on getting the dog in closer to my side (she is about 8 inches away from my leg at moment, but she is pretty solid on recall with finish and her stays...when not at the training club