View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Been told our obedience classes are being run incorrectly - opinions please!

I have been looking into Heel work to music classes for Loki and have been emailing an instructor near me, I have spoken to her about how Loki gets distracted easily and takes awhile to settle in a new class, and described my class to her and was alittle suprised by the reply I got in return.
Loki's class is split into two groups in the same hall divided by chairs the young puppies in one class and the 6 months and older in Loki's class, the puppie group is quite a distractiong for Loki they often bring in squeeky toys and Loki can get quite frustrated, also at the end of class the next class come in 10-15 minutes before our class ends and this really distracts loki who loses all concentration at this time.
The trainer I have been emailing said if she ran her classes like that and the ADPT did a spot check she would be shut down and that she had 1/2 hour between classes to avoid this problem of the next class coming in early. She also said as Loki is a gundog the movement of the other class and others coming in is going to be a huge distracting leading to frustration because he wants to take chase and cant leading to his barking. Which all makes sense and I already thought this was the reason for his lack of concentration at times, but he is doing well now, although it has got me thinking perhaps he could be doing beter in a different environment?
Any other trainers out there are these classes going against APDT rules? What are your views on the set up?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 10:42 AM
If the trainer isn't APDT registered then it doesn't matter.

If this class is convenient and working well for you then don't worry about it - working with distractions is great - if your lad will do as he is told with all sorts going on nearby then things you come across on a day to day basis shouldn't cause a problem. - training for real life

Re being a gundog and wanting to chase and bark? Noen of my gundogs are chasers or barkers - seems a bizarre thing to say and really its something you must just learn to deal with as I am sure you are .... chasing and barking isn't OK and he will easily learn!!! In a way you are lucky that the situiattion arises there and you can work on it - so many people at my club tell me about the annoying things their pups do "oh but he never does it here" - so it is hard to help

At least he does his naughty thing in the appropriate spot!!!

I bet he will LOVE HTM!!!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx
If the trainer isn't APDT registered then it doesn't matter.

If this class is convenient and working well for you then don't worry about it - working with distractions is great - if your lad will do as he is told with all sorts going on nearby then things you come across on a day to day basis shouldn't cause a problem. - training for real life

Re being a gundog and wanting to chase and bark? Noen of my gundogs are chasers or barkers - seems a bizarre thing to say and really its something you must just learn to deal with as I am sure you are .... chasing and barking isn't OK and he will easily learn!!! In a way you are lucky that the situiattion arises there and you can work on it - so many people at my club tell me about the annoying things their pups do "oh but he never does it here" - so it is hard to help

At least he does his naughty thing in the appropriate spot!!!

I bet he will LOVE HTM!!!
Thankyou, he is getting much beter, the barking I believe is his frustration over wanting to go and meet and play with the other dogs, he doesnt chase, the other trainer was saying the movement would triger his natural desire to chase. But he has come on loads and gets less distracted and barks much less then he used to, but is generally a very vocal dog, as is his breed.
I also think he will love HTM I have been teaching a few things myself this week and he has already learnt twist crawl and has pretty much learnt bow (only started training that last night) he learns things very quickly!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Hmm i actually agree with what Muddiwarx firstly said, Working with distraction is a good idea. BUT I also think that such small space isn't good and your dogs should all be allowed to meet and greet before training starts.

Cant wait for updates on your dancing thingy!!!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Hmm i actually agree with what Muddiwarx firstly said, Working with distraction is a good idea. BUT I also think that such small space isn't good and your dogs should all be allowed to meet and greet before training starts.

Cant wait for updates on your dancing thingy!!!
Thanks DG im looking forward to trying something different as soon as I get a class sorted will let you know how it goes!
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 10:07 PM
I think its a great idea having distractions. My dog training club is split.
It really shows you how much your dog really pays attention to you.