Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 08:34 AM

Considering Agility...

Hi all,

Although we have alot of "dog experience" (our dogs have always only been pets) we have never even attempted showing or agility or anything like that.

I watched somebody practising some agility in the field yesterday and i thought it would be something Dizney would really get alot from.

I just wanted you thoughts: Do your dogs get alot from it? enjoy it? are there any disadvantages?

Dizney is about 20 months old. Is this too old? too young? As you have probably guessed im completely clueless!!

Thanks for reading, Best wishes

Jay xxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 11:19 AM
My dogs are my pets too but agility really gives them a zest for life and they love it.
I only have to mention about going jumpies and thier eyes light up and they get so excited.
It gives thier brains something to think about as they really have to use them as they progress and something to take out the excess energy.
No your dog is definatly not too old, most dogs over 12 months can start agility and we have some start at 7years old or older. Any dog in good health can do agility.
Go for it I bet your dog will love you for it.

Bev
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by madmare
My dogs are my pets too but agility really gives them a zest for life and they love it.
I only have to mention about going jumpies and thier eyes light up and they get so excited.
It gives thier brains something to think about as they really have to use them as they progress and something to take out the excess energy.
No your dog is definatly not too old, most dogs over 12 months can start agility and we have some start at 7years old or older. Any dog in good health can do agility.
Go for it I bet your dog will love you for it.

Bev
Aw thank you im so glad your dogs enjoy it!! I think Diz would too if im honest i just lack the faintest idea on how to get started lol Looks like i will be raiding the garage or any old garden hoops or tunnels lol
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Find yourself a good club that starts you off slowly, teaching each bit of equipment properly on usualy a 6 week induction course.
You don't need to have all the equipment yourself.
Bev
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by madmare
Find yourself a good club that starts you off slowly, teaching each bit of equipment properly on usualy a 6 week induction course.
You don't need to have all the equipment yourself.
Bev
Fab thank you soo much!!!! exciting lol
sasha_the_trash
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
thanks that was usefull for me too. my dog is only a pup atm and was wounderig what ages you can start i thought it was about 12months

how would i find one in my area? how much are they a session usually?

my dog is a border collie and i know she would highly benifit from it when older

sorry to hijack
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by sasha_the_trash
how would i find one in my area?
The following link lists a vast number of clubs, you should be able to find one near you:

Agilitynet - clubs

SpottyDogsRule - I can only echo what Bev has said in that it is best to find yourself a good club and undertake an induction course. I am sure Dizney will love it
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Well that didn't work I'll have to PM you the link as it doesn't appear to like it even though it is an Agility site rather than a forum.

Edit:- No it won't even allow me to send the link in a PM. Oh well

Do a Google search for [System Edit: No links to other dog forums sorry] and there is a list of clubs on there.

Oh dear god - you can't even mention the name of the website!

Right - I've copied the details of all the individual clubs in Devon and PMmed them to you (please tell me the location in your profile is right )
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Oh dear god - you can't even mention the name of the website!
yep, found that out recently! It's because there is a DOG FORUM on there, There is not much you can do to help people in the agility section of this site as it involves sending them to the site that cannot be named........ agility net Oooh I can write it like that, sasha it is meant to be all one word, you could also try agilityeye. Quick, write it down before it is removed!