Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Puffing and panting

No not the dogs me
I started agility about 3 months ago with my JRT who loves it and now my Rottie x GSD is a year decided to take her along with us.
Tonight they have both been doing it, my big girl just jumps and tunnels tonight, but all that running round for 2 hrs has me absolutly out of puff and nearly on my knees. Think I need to seriously fitten up

My big girl really loved it though and after going round the jumps and learning the tunnels once on the lead then went round beautifully off lead after that really enjoying herself. I feel so proud of her.

Bev
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 06:14 AM
You'll be like a finely tuned athlete in no time
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2006, 06:36 AM
A bit more practice and you can just stand in the middle and tell/signal your dogs which piece of equipment is next

That's my aim anyway - and the girl is almost there
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 11:23 AM
It sounds great! I'd love to give it a go in a year or so. Will need to get a bit fitter though, I couldn't run the length of myself right now!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I always read the agility posts, as I would love to give that ago. The first time I really took an interest when I watched Cruft's this year. It looks so much fun - for everyone! but I too think I would struggle initially. You know hat they say practice makes perfect! Keep it up then as SB says you can command from a distance without knackering yourself out.
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2006, 10:54 PM
A lady I know who has been doing agility for some time, has began to feel all the running is getting too much for her, so with her latest new dog, she has been getting her grandson to run round with the dog for her. hes about 12 years old, and she says he enjoys it and it seems to be going well. The dog is a border collie, and he loves it.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 09:20 AM
deef is my first agility dog and I originally trained with someone that can only do agility if they can keep up with their dog so they train you that way too. I can't keep up with him and I now go somewhere that can teach me to work him properly without having to be right there all the time. I still need to be close to him on contacts but he is a lot better and will go on and work ahead of me now which he wouldn't before. My baby Sol is now 16 1/2 months and is due to start competing 5th August:smt026 Which I am sure will be very funny for anyone watching, why? because I can't get near him. With Deef there are places on courses that I can get to but with Sol it's just oging to be a matter of directional commands and cutting corners. Deef is Senior and Sol is going to be much faster so really I am stuffed. I started teaching sol directional commands as a pup but as they involve getting them to spin left and right I didn't do too much as I thought it wouldn't be good for him, I am now having to remind him of them and he is much better. When I first started with deef I ran with him and he slowed down to my speed, once I changed trainers he started going faster and now if I try and run with him he races me and I lose, Sol is the same. A good go command can make a lot of difference and you really need left and right commands too LOL and if it makes you feel any better I have been doing agility for just under three years and I would be knackered after 2 hours! Deef never started until he was 2 1/2 so Sol is the first pup I have trained for it and boy is it hard work but when it starts coming together and they are doing contacts independently from you and working round short courses that is a reward in itself