Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Never Too Old?

After I had Jessie from a rescue 4 years ago, I tried agility with her when I thought she had settled in. It was a disaster as she got overwhelmed by the commotion, noise and just lay on the floor and refused to budge, or tried to run out of the gate. So, I gave it about a years rest, then took her back thinking she would be more settled and thus more able to cope. However, that was not the case and she was just as worried.

Last year I tried some classes at a different location and due to Flynn's cruciate and Jed being put off by an aggressive collie that went for him, and birdscarers, I found myself trying Jessie rather than waste the money I had paid. Although put off by the birdscarers, she seemed to have promise and I was totally taken aback by how she threw herself into it.
Then we went on holiday to an agility venue last month and she was so confident with the equipment, had speed and would run on ahead to the next obstacle. I thought if I could just control her more with some commands she needs to learn, she'd be a good dog. The bonus is she isnt a frantic dog neither and doesnt bark or get wound up. She is fast and agile whilst being level headed as well.

Anyway, I've enrolled her back at the original place and the trainers have commented on what a different dog she is. The other dogs dont bother her, even when they are barking and lunging in excitement, she doesnt 'fold' anymore when somebody takes her collar, she isnt phased by even the see saw and her tail is wagging the whole time.

Trouble is she is approaching 7 and I kind of feel like it's too late for her. Those who know her knows she is a very young acting dog, doesnt appear to be a senior and hasnt slowed down at all. She hasnt any aches and pains and is fit as a fiddle. Even though i've been doing agility for over 6 years, i've never competed as i've never had the right dog - until now.

I know dogs can continue to compete until they are in double figures, and there are veteran classes but my thoughts are that by the time she is trained well enough to compete, she is going to be even older and I wonder whether to even try competing with her or just leave it as a fun thing.

Thoughts anybody?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Why don't you start it off as a fun thing, then see how she is when you think she is ready to compete?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Thats my usual way actually. I do a discipline with them and see if they are good enough to compete a bit later on down the line. But of course I normally start when they are alot younger so there is plenty of time to get things right and I dont feel like i'm running out of time.

I just wondered whether it was even worth thinking about competitions at her age (and mine, lol!)
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 06:46 PM
A long as she was up for it then why not?

You can always train with the jumps set down to small or medium if you are worried about her joints?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 06:56 PM
I think you should do it even if you don't compete - you will learn a lot about handling and be ready for your next dog, if you decide to take it more seriously.

OH and Hoki have been going for about 4 years now. Hoki can now only do the lowest of jumps, but OH has learned stacks about where he needs to be, how to think about getting round the course etc.

If you both enjoy it, just do it!
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Why not compete for fun? We do and we're unlikely to make any great progress, but we do have a lot of fun and I often feel on top of the world even if we've destroyed half the course. Don't BAA allow veterans to compete at lower heights if need be?
BTW If you ever get your Brit@ I look forward to meeting it
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Agree with the others, have fun and see if it leads anywhere or not
If she is having fun then that is great - and you will be learning how to handle anyways so if you decided to try with another dog in the future then you would have a bit of a head start
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 05:55 AM
can't she run in capability classes?, FWIW i have started competing in Flyball this year with my 7 year old spaniel, if she's fit and active go for it
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 06:08 PM
We've kind of given up on agility again. She is actually really good, but cannot get past her fear of the horses which are in the surrounding paddocks. If it's not the horses, it's a dog that's had a go at her before. There always seems to be something she is frightened of which gets in the way of her ability to learn and get involved. This is why agility never got off the ground with her on previous attempts.

I guess I just have to face the fact that it will never happen.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Aww thats a shame, but I think its the right thing to do - its supposed to be fun for both of you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >