Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:02 PM

Agility grades

Could someone please explain in newbie terms how the grading system works. Ive read the guide on agilitynet and KC but I dont understand it. What is a "clear" round? Is it one where you dont make a mistake? How do you score points, can you only score points on "clear" rounds? It says if you are experienced you can start at grade 3, so do the handlers get grades or the dogs, or both ? How do you advance in grades, who keeps track of it? Do you need to do something to advance except get points. Wow sorry of Ive gone a bit mad.

Sorry Im thick, I dont expect to get anywhere with my dog, shes slow compared to a collie (only dogs she can beat at a game of chase are full basset hounds )but it still intrests me
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Could someone please explain in newbie terms how the grading system works. Ive read the guide on agilitynet and KC but I dont understand it. What is a "clear" round? Is it one where you dont make a mistake? How do you score points, can you only score points on "clear" rounds? It says if you are experienced you can start at grade 3, so do the handlers get grades or the dogs, or both ? How do you advance in grades, who keeps track of it? Do you need to do something to advance except get points. Wow sorry of Ive gone a bit mad.

Sorry Im thick, I dont expect to get anywhere with my dog, shes slow compared to a collie (only dogs she can beat at a game of chase are full basset hounds )but it still intrests me
I can't answer your questions but I did just want to say that just because your dog isn't fast doesn't mean she can't do well.

I used to do agility but just for fun, we did train with people who competed and did well. My boy wasn't the fastest collie but he was always reliable with contacts and weaves. Many times he beat the quicker collies as they tended to make more mistakes.

Not really helpful regarding your questions though
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
I can't answer your questions but I did just want to say that just because your dog isn't fast doesn't mean she can't do well.

I used to do agility but just for fun, we did train with people who competed and did well. My boy wasn't the fastest collie but he was always reliable with contacts and weaves. Many times he beat the quicker collies as they tended to make more mistakes.

Not really helpful regarding your questions though
Thanks She can out run me so I have no right to call her slow

5 weeks to go until we can start
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks She can out run me so I have no right to call her slow

5 weeks to go until we can start
More like your slow then

Have fun, me and Mac started back at agility today after a 2 year rest. The old boy has slowed down alot now but still enjoyed it, which is all that counts for us
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok...

New handlers and new dogs to agility start at grade 1, if you win an agility class with a clear round with no faults (faults for refusals, missing contacts and knocking poles) and within the course time then you will then go up to grade 2, this is the same all the way up until grade 6.
The same applies to jumping rounds but you have to win 3 to be promoted to the next grade.

You can also move up grades with 75 points you can choose to move up to the next grade or remain a the grade you are at.

If you then begin to compete with another new dog, then that dog will enter at grade 1 if your 1st dog is still at grade 1, however if either of your dog either wins a class and is promoted or you choose to move up on points, then your other dog must move up to that grade too.
This is until you get to grade 3, once you are grade 3 or above, you only get promoted with the dog that wins, the others must stay at grade 3.

So for example, dog A wins grade 2 agility, making that dog grade 3, dog B must also move up to grade 3.
Dog A then wins a grade 3 agility class moving them up to grade 4, dog B remains in grade 3.

Hope that makes sense!

edit: points are for clear rounds within the course time, you must also be placed to get extra points, if you go clear but no placing then you just get 2 points for a clear agility and 1 point for clear jumping.

Agility win = 20 points, going down to 10th place= 11 points
Jumping win = 10 points, going down to 10th place = 1 point
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Ok...

New handlers and new dogs to agility start at grade 1, if you win an agility class with a clear round with no faults (faults for refusals, missing contacts and knocking poles) and within the course time then you will then go up to grade 2, this is the same all the way up until grade 6.
The same applies to jumping rounds but you have to win 3 to be promoted to the next grade.

You can also move up grades with 75 points you can choose to move up to the next grade or remain a the grade you are at.

If you then begin to compete with another new dog, then that dog will enter at grade 1 if your 1st dog is still at grade 1, however if either of your dog either wins a class and is promoted or you choose to move up on points, then your other dog must move up to that grade too.
This is until you get to grade 3, once you are grade 3 or above, you only get promoted with the dog that wins, the others must stay at grade 3.

So for example, dog A wins grade 2 agility, making that dog grade 3, dog B must also move up to grade 3.
Dog A then wins a grade 3 agility class moving them up to grade 4, dog B remains in grade 3.

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks Layla .

Who keeps track of your dogs points?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks Layla .

Who keeps track of your dogs points?
You have an agility record book (with details of your dog and official measurement etc) and you record down the points yourself, writing down the show, class and judge and placing, it is based on honesty, but the kc do keep records of show results so can check things if they need to.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
You have an agility record book (with details of your dog and official measurement etc) and you record down the points yourself, writing down the show, class and judge and placing, it is based on honesty, but the kc do keep records of show results so can check things if they need to.
Ahhh thank you
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Just to add to Layla's posts that the KC are considering changing the eligibility to move up the grades as one agility win is considered now to make it too easy to move up and this has resulted in a bottleneck of dogs in both grade 3 and grade 6 (you need four wins to move up to grade 7, at least two to be agility). Watch this space!