Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Agility wannabe!

I really want to get into agility but I know NOTHING about it! Puppy is only 9 weeks old, he’s a Border Terrier and cute as pie, he has a lovely little pop on him and is seriously smart! I know we can’t really start proper training until he’s a year old (roll on January 2013!) but I wondered what we could do in the mean time?

Some points for beginners would be fantastic! Also for some fun games for a small dog, I want to keep him really mentally active but of course I don’t want to put any strain on growing joints.

Just a few questions:
- How do you enter competitions, do you have to qualify?
- Do you enter/train as a team?
- What equipment do you need?
- Where are the competitions held?
- What happens at competitions?
- Does anyone else compete with a Border Terrier?
- Does it effect the dogs at home? Are they calmer/hyper?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Have a look at the Agilitynet website - it will tell you most of what you want to know. I would start looking around now for a suitable club to join as many will have waiting lists - again there is a list on the website. A lot of KC registered clubs may not take a 'newby' unless they are running specific baby classes but there are loads of private trainers out there and some will hold pre-agility classes to get the pups used to mixing with other dogs and doing exercises that will prepare them for agility.

There are different organisations running slightly different types of agility, the Kennel Club being the original one and you can go on their website and look in the agility section for types of equipment, etc.

The best way to find out what happens at shows is to visit one - again there is a list on the above website detailing the dates and venues of all the different shows.

There are loads of border terriers competing - and doing extremely well! I think the effect agility will have on a dog at home will really depend on the dog - I have collies and without the agility 'trigger' they are just normal dogs at home.

A word of warning - agility is completely addictive - a couple of years down the line and you will have a house full of dogs, a van to transport them, a caravan to stay at shows............................
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2012, 03:53 PM
That sounds fantastic! I'll have a look at the website and get us on a waiting list!

I also have a horse and he's a bit of a worrier so not only is transporting him an issue, he doesn't actually jump, I think I'm trying to fulfil my show jumping dreams with the dog!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Some people will tell you not to start agility until the dog is older(12months).
What they mean is
don't do weaves until they are fully grown
don't do full size jumps until they are full grown.
Some trainers will take pups and show you the foundation work.
A good sit and down. the best wait you can develop and getting the pup to run with you at your left and right side will start you off well.
You may be doing this for the next 6-8 yrs or more so no need to rush.
Its as important to try and find out what not to do as you may have to retrain bad habits and that takes longer
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2012, 04:18 PM
He has already mastered sit and it's getting pretty consistent, I even managed to get him to do it when he was being a hyper nutty puppy this morning (rather than just listening when in the mood!).

Down I'm finding harder to teach but we start puppy training formally in a few weeks so I will leave it until then and just work on perfectly sit at a distance!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Have a look at the Agilitynet website - it will tell you most of what you want to know. I would start looking around now for a suitable club to join as many will have waiting lists - again there is a list on the website. A lot of KC registered clubs may not take a 'newby' unless they are running specific baby classes but there are loads of private trainers out there and some will hold pre-agility classes to get the pups used to mixing with other dogs and doing exercises that will prepare them for agility.

There are different organisations running slightly different types of agility, the Kennel Club being the original one and you can go on their website and look in the agility section for types of equipment, etc.

The best way to find out what happens at shows is to visit one - again there is a list on the above website detailing the dates and venues of all the different shows.

There are loads of border terriers competing - and doing extremely well! I think the effect agility will have on a dog at home will really depend on the dog - I have collies and without the agility 'trigger' they are just normal dogs at home.

A word of warning - agility is completely addictive - a couple of years down the line and you will have a house full of dogs, a van to transport them, a caravan to stay at shows............................
Great advice from Pam....

Started with one dog...now have 4 (and changed breeds!)

Van...check.

Caravan...next on the list!

It really IS addictive.

I started it to fulfill my competitiveness after selling my horses...agility is much more fun!
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I started it to fulfill my competitiveness after selling my horses...agility is much more fun!
Don't say that! I could never sell my horse (no one would ever buy him!)

Although if I bought a little 3.5t lorry I could interchange it for horse/dog use!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm going to do the same, I've got a 3.5 ton box and going to alternate it between horsebox and dog van
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2012, 03:03 AM
I still trail ride my horse but since I got into Agility she has been spending a lot of time in the pasture.

I started with one dog in training, she got hurt so is retired but I have two I am competing with now. I am getting a new puppy at the end of the month and hope to eventually get her going in Agility when she is old enough.

The two I am competing with are Shih Tzu x Maltese and so is the new one. Went and bought a small travel trailer last year as not enough room in my camper. Started in Agility about 8 years ago when I was 65 so never too old!!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Brilliant Kyllobernese
I have just got my first rosette at my 2nd KC show.
I thought I was old starting at almost 58.
My other worry was will I be able to keep with my little Cocker when I,m 68 and he's 10.
if I can go as long as yourself, no probs
Hope you have many healthy years ahead of you.