Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Of course they wont die if they don't get a good run and spend all their time on lead but I still believe it is an import part of a dogs life. This is based on humans:

but I believe can be used for our pet dogs food , water etc are still bottom of the rung as in the above hierarchy. eg A dog who lives in a kennel and is fed and given water but never really excercised (on or offlead ) is simply given the basic to survive but is missing out on much life has to offer.
Dogs aren't human.
Plus a dog that is never exercised is totally different to a dog that is never let offlead for it's own safety and the safety of dogs and livestock etc around it....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Hmmm....I think they NEED an understanding owner who can provide for their individual needs more............[B]nice answer.....

Probably the word need does mean differently to one individual than the other.

I think we all know a dog needs/must have, food, water shelter etc., etc.,
But I agree I do think it is the individual dog, rather than the breed.
Not picking up on all the quotes I have read, but agree with the BC seem to be a little manic if they only get on lead walks, well mine do they become agitated, now that could be because they are used to being off I agree, but on lead thier manner changes, Reah gets a tail down, Skye keeps her head down....Bruce is just Bruce.
Off lead they almost become a different dogs, Skye is watching our face listening, waiting, Reah gets a huge grin and tail wags none stop....and Bruce is just Bruce So Bruce is no different apart from when we get home after lead walkingthen he does do table circling, which he doesn't do once he has had a run....so again I agree with it depends on the dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hmmm....I think they NEED an understanding owner who can provide for their individual needs more............[B]nice answer.....

Probably the word need does mean differently to one individual than the other.

I think we all know a dog needs/must have, food, water shelter etc., etc.,
But I agree I do think it is the individual dog, rather than the breed.
Not picking up on all the quotes I have read, but agree with the BC seem to be a little manic if they only get on lead walks, well mine do they become agitated, now that could be because they are used to being off I agree, but on lead thier manner changes, Reah gets a tail down, Skye keeps her head down....Bruce is just Bruce.
Off lead they almost become a different dogs, Skye is watching our face listening, waiting, Reah gets a huge grin and tail wags none stop....and Bruce is just Bruce So Bruce is no different apart from when we get home after lead walkingthen he does do table circling, which he doesn't do once he has had a run....so again I agree with it depends on the dog.
Yes....dogs get used to whatever you give them as well.

It is dangerous and foolhardy to exercise some dogs offlead.Those dogs have a happy life onlead with the right owners. So the answer to the question do dogs need a good run has to be no...because actually some don't and it is irresponsible to let some dogs offlead.
There will be people who just read a thread like this, who maybe keep a dog onlead and who may think 'oo I'm being cruel best let them off' and that may not be the right thing to do.

Like with most things in life it is down to the individual but I would say that dogs in general would cope very well indeed with the right sort of onlead exercise BUT not all dogs can cope with offlead..therefore it can't be a need can it?!

ETA Maybe my interpretation of an onlead walk is different to other people's? I am not talking about pavement bashing only, although I think taking them into different situations is fab for them too. My onlead walks involve a lot of training. They involve play , they involve search work, retrieve work allsorts and they also involve a huge amount of time where the dogs can be dogs and sniff and explore and leave their doggy calling cards
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes....dogs get used to whatever you give them as well.

It is dangerous and foolhardy to exercise some dogs offlead.Those dogs have a happy life onlead with the right owners. So the answer to the question do dogs need a good run has to be no...because actually some don't and it is irresponsible to let some dogs offlead.
There will be people who just read a thread like this, who maybe keep a dog onlead and who may think 'oo I'm being cruel best let them off' and that may not be the right thing to do.

Like with most things in life it is down to the individual but I would say that dogs in general would cope very well indeed with the right sort of onlead exercis BUT not all dogs can cope with offlead..therefore it can't be a need can it?!
I can see the point your making, and I would never hope that someone reading this thought...Oh Im cruel, it surely has to be what is comfortable for both the owner and safe for the dog....whatever the reasons hun.

I have to say I don't judge anyone who has thier dog on a lead, I presumme though that there is a reason and call mine ''close'' so we can walk past without any drama's, I do however ''wonder'' when owners say ''Oh he's fine we just never let him off just incase'' but again that is thier dog to do as they feel is right for them.

I do however feel mine do need a run, and I use the word need as that is how they behave, but it is not something they need every day, they can do road lead on walking just as good.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I can see the point your making, and I would never hope that someone reading this thought...Oh Im cruel, it surely has to be what is comfortable for both the owner and safe for the dog....whatever the reasons hun.

I have to say I don't judge anyone who has thier dog on a lead, I presumme though that there is a reason and call mine ''close'' so we can walk past without any drama's, I do however ''wonder'' when owners say ''Oh he's fine we just never let him off just incase'' but again that is thier dog to do as they feel is right for them.

I do however feel mine do need a run, and I use the word need as that is how they behave, but it is not something they need every day, they can do road lead on walking just as good.
Therefore...being nit picky...should they need to they would adjust to onlead walking only and I have no doubt you would make sure they were walked onlead, in a way that satisfied them. Therefore...is a good run a necessity or just a nice extra???
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:38 PM

I occassionally do that with Tango when dogs charge up to her, but that is because I have seen her initial reaction. She is generally fine onlead but offlead she feels the need to stop dogs running.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I am with the I don't think they "NEED" offlead but if we can safely give them offlead running then it's an added bonus, and if we can't we wshould make sure that there is a huge amount of variety.

For almost 2 years Ben got only onlead walks (due to aggression issues) except on completely deserted North Scotland Beaches, when he did get off he went mad, totally mad!

But after getting help with his aggression and bolshiness he gets off lead runs in the park, at the beach and also in my mum and dads garden. He also gets walks that are strictly lead only walks so now he does not know what to expect, even if we go to the park, I will sometimes walk him on a lead, a long lead and sometimes let him off.

If he is offlead he gets called back a few times during the walk and his lead put on and walked on lead for a bit then released again.

So I do not think it is a NEED but I think it can be an individual dogs WANT but having said that we don't always get what we want wether we be human or canine
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hmmm....I think they NEED an understanding owner who can provide for their individual needs more.
I think to say a dog 'needs' a good run is very misleading because it doesn't. It NEEDS food. It NEEDS water. It NEEDS companionship/shleter and training.

The question was 'do dogs need a good run?' and my answer is no...they need many things but they don't need a good run.
The question wasn't 'what do dogs need to be happy and healthy?' In terms of need....a good run doesn't come into it surely?
Need to me is what we need to survive...not what we need to keep us happy.
I need chocolate.
Hmmm...I don't do I?!!!
Being able to run off lead absolutely IS a NEED for many dogs to remain happy and healthy. For some dogs, not being able to run is like telling a bird it can't fly; not being able to do so would lead to that dog being unhappy/stressed/frustrated, which could consequently lead to various health problems.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Being able to run off lead absolutely IS a NEED for many dogs to remain happy and healthy. For some dogs, not being able to run is like telling a bird it can't fly; not being able to do so would lead to that dog being unhappy/stressed/frustrated, which could consequently lead to various health problems.
I disagree...quite strongly to be honest. I think with the right sort of onlead walk (be that lead a longline) any dog will thrive. It is a very romanticised view to say it's like a bird not flying...birds NEED to fly. Dogs do not NEED to run, they have no predators and they have all their food provided for them. They may like it...they do not NEED it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
In an ideal world
But
Its our responsability to make sure our dogs are safe and under control - of their recal/behviour isnt good enough and you cannot guarantee the saftey of the area then they should be on lead.

I have to say, after a bit of training Mia gets a fair bit of running on her extendy lead, not as good as offlead but better than being hit by a car

Also, it happens that dogs - even puppies become ill ir hurt and need cage rest for weeks - it IS possible to keep them happy and stimulated, not ideal but possible
Page 7 of 46 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »