Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Agiltiy training?

Hi all,
I have a 9 month old Chihuahua who's attended his puppy training classes and done really well, he plays with his toys for hours on end I throw he fetches ect I was wondering if agility would be good for him as he loves running around the house, garden ect. I thought of setting a few brush poles on the floor on the garden to begin with and highering them this sounds really daft but he has so much energy I think this would be a great thing to channel it to, anybody done things like this with a toy dog?
AgilityDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
Hi all,
I have a 9 month old Chihuahua who's attended his puppy training classes and done really well, he plays with his toys for hours on end I throw he fetches ect I was wondering if agility would be good for him as he loves running around the house, garden ect. I thought of setting a few brush poles on the floor on the garden to begin with and highering them this sounds really daft but he has so much energy I think this would be a great thing to channel it to, anybody done things like this with a toy dog?
I think agility sounds perfect for your dog however i must stress, please do not raise the bars until your dog is at least a year old, at 9 months, some of his bones wont have fused and wont be fully formed or at full strength, however, putting the poles on the floor will get him used to the equipment and you can begin teaching the comand "over" another fun thing to start before your dog is one, are contacts and directional commands, If you can get a ragger and get your dog in a very hyped up state, shake the toy then spin him away from you and say left or right keep doing this, for about 5 mins every day, he will soon pick it up, for teaching the contact points, you can use the "two on two off" method, the back two paws on front two paws off, for example on your stairs, keep the dog in the position, rewarding and releasing with "ok" continue this with the front paws on and the back paws off, these are all vital commands and basics when teaching and learning agility, and its safe for you to start with your dog

Weaves, Jumps and the dog walk and see-saw can damae your dogs bones, so please do not try them alone, any reputable club will not accept puppies, all the best

And have fun!
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanx for your input, I just thought it'd be a great idea for him and me to do something diffirent he's very clever I thought Chi's were quiet he's a riot if anything but some poles would be good to start with I used to ride so like trotting poles only smaller lol.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:28 AM
While you`re waiting for him to get mature enough to start agility you could do some fun obedience training that will be useful when you do start? Wait, directions, this way, come etc. are all used to direct a dog round a course so you`d have a head start.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree with the comments already posted I think your Chi sounds as though he would love agility. Do you know of any clubs near you? It would be worth getting your name down now for when he is 12 months old as the good clubs get booked up in advance.

Have fun!
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi again, I don't know any clubs near here I'm sure they do where he goes to do his obidience training ect. Most things have stopped for the summer now though he starts his classes in September I am still doing training on the garden or round the house siting staying ect. He just has so much energy.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 04:51 PM
There are a couple of Chis who go to the same agility class as us. They look as if they're having a great time. There is also a little dachshund so little dogs can do agility.
I think 9 months sounds young so I'd suggest you check the best age to start with someone who knows more about small breeds.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 04:14 PM
i have a chinese crested who is ten months old and i want to start agility with her. small dogs can definately do it, the swedish champ last year in agility was a crested i think so dont think your being stupid wanting to do something with a small dog. i think its a great idea!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 04:25 PM
i wish more people with smaller dogs would do agility
its great fun for you and them

i would recomend a club tho as the dogs get the hang of jumping quicly, you will find you need help with handling more difficult sequences to challange you both more
and best to start correctly so you dont get any bad habbits

trick training is a good way to start at home to get your dog used to using its mind and body together
i would also work on instant downs, solid stays and sending away round objects