Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi Hannah
When I go to our weekly training class I arrive about 20 minutes early and our 9 month old pup has a good 10 minutes playing with a couple of other dogs from his group before the class starts. If I don't do this he spends his time just wanting to play with them instead of paying attention to me.

I find that this short play period before the class is just enough to get rid of some of his excitement at seeing all the other dogs. There are about 3 owners who have dogs of a similar age and all of us allow our dogs to have a quick play with each other before our class starts.

If I don't have time for any reason to let him play first I find his concentration is just not there - the downside is that sometimes he has worn himself out and the sit stay quickly becomes a down stay as it requires less effort for a played out pup.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel
Hi Hannah
When I go to our weekly training class I arrive about 20 minutes early and our 9 month old pup has a good 10 minutes playing with a couple of other dogs from his group before the class starts. If I don't do this he spends his time just wanting to play with them instead of paying attention to me.

I find that this short play period before the class is just enough to get rid of some of his excitement at seeing all the other dogs. There are about 3 owners who have dogs of a similar age and all of us allow our dogs to have a quick play with each other before our class starts.

If I don't have time for any reason to let him play first I find his concentration is just not there - the downside is that sometimes he has worn himself out and the sit stay quickly becomes a down stay as it requires less effort for a played out pup.
Thanks I do try to let him have alittle play before we start but dont usually get there too early so maybe try that, dont know how early other people get there but is worth a try! I dont know if im going to be able to get there tonight really want to cause dont want to miss a week incase it makes things worse, but my car broke down yest, have OH's car but no room for crate and he doesnt sit still, it has all leather seats too!
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Quote me if i'm wrong, but because of all the problems you've been having it sounds to me you have lost your confidence. Loki would of picked up on this & ruled the roost.
When you go training next be POSITIVE.......sod everybody else. Just try & feel its just you & Loki in that room & really get him focused on YOU!
So.....chin up, role your sleeves up, give Loki a tug on his lead & go show them what a great relatonship you have! :smt023
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1
Quote me if i'm wrong, but because of all the problems you've been having it sounds to me you have lost your confidence. Loki would of picked up on this & ruled the roost.
When you go training next be POSITIVE.......sod everybody else. Just try & feel its just you & Loki in that room & really get him focused on YOU!
So.....chin up, role your sleeves up, give Loki a tug on his lead & go show them what a great relatonship you have! :smt023
Hiya
Thanks for the advice, I havent lost confidence in Loki as such I know what he is capable of and he will do it out and about for me, its just so frustrating at classes when he wont listen to me long enough to show what he can do. But had a brilliant class last night will explain later when im not so busy
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by lizziel
Hi Hannah

Thankyou so much for this advice, I really think it made a difference getting there early, as well as Loki starting to get used to the new set up.
Loki behaved beautifully and I was so proud of him! He did everything I asked of him (except the end doing things without a treat! ) I mad more mistakes then he did keeping turning the wrong way in the about turn The instructor was totally different towards us and we got on much beter, Loki and I even had to demonstrate how he wanted things done to the other owners!
More in this thread http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38345
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3