View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluegypsy
New Member!
Male 

30-05-2006, 07:01 AM

On 3 legs ( can a three-legged dog do obedience?)

Has anyone ever heard of a dog doing obedience on three legs? Is it possible or would it be hard for a dog with three legs would their be any tests that would be hard for her to do?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I see no reason why a three-legged dog cannot do obedience Sitting, standing, dropping, heeling, recall are all possible. It is only when you get to higher levels that jumping comes in to it (retrieve over the jump, broad jump, directed jump) and I would be concerned about the stress and impact of jumping on the remaining legs. Whether KC sanctioned competitions permit dogs with three legs to enter I do not know.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Yes I have seen 3 legged dogs compete in obedience in the UK.
bluegypsy
New Member!
Male 

02-06-2006, 08:37 AM
She is only light and had her hips tested before her leg was taken. She is good at climbing stairs and jumping onto her special platform in the garden
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I cant see any reason why she couldn't do well at obedience; very best of luck to you both and let us know how she gets on.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2006, 06:00 AM
You can and it would be a good idea, something you can do with your dog and enjoy the company of others. There is nothing she would be banned from doing as far as the KC would be concerned even the show ring or agility. It would only be if a vet said the dog was unfit that you would be unable to compete.

In all the competition type events it is the dog and it's ability that is judged no one will count legs but they will not make allowance either, don't expect you would want that anyway.

So go on enjoy yourselves, and good luck.
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Go for it!

Lucy's Grandma only had 3 legs and she was the best rabbit catcher on the farm...!!!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
i agree with thordell there as long as the vet agrees that it doesn`t affect the dogs health its the mind and the dogs life to do thing shame when it doesnt take part in the normal life it is the same if you say the person has a crooked face and cant go shopping