Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 01:52 PM

Finally found a great puppy class!

Loki and I went to a Puppy class recommended to us last night, it was further away then I might have liked, but well worth traveling for!
Loki and I loved it, my OH was even impressed (and it takes quite alot to impress him!) The atmosphere was so much better than the others I have been too, the other people there were lovely and the trainer was great very friendly and helpful but no nonsense at the same time without being condensending like the last class I went too!
She made a point of the things important to be a responsible dog owner , I was really suprised how many of the people there didnt have poop bags on them or collars on their dogs, she told them how important it was to have these things but didnt talk down to anyone, I found her very easy to talk to and it was obvious she both knew her stuff and loved dogs!
Loki was very well behaved for his first time except from being abit too vocal but that seems to be a very recent thing and we are working on it! He was top of the class for sit and down but then he was one of the oldest (still felt good though!) and he did well with his recall seeing as there were other dogs there to distract him. We are going to do the Kennel club puppy good citizen scheme and then work our way up, think it will be good for Loki and would like to do some PAT work with him when he's older so think it will put him in good stead for that!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Glad you have found a decent class and enjoyed it
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Thankyou nissanmad! Was such a relief to find a decent class and see the difference in Loki!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2006, 08:42 AM
The instructor is what makes a training class - and it sounds as though you have found a good one Training should be instructional and enjoyable for both handler and dog.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
The instructor is what makes a training class - and it sounds as though you have found a good one Training should be instructional and enjoyable for both handler and dog.
Thanks Shadowboxer, yes she is very good all I had hoped the last one would be and was disapointed she wasnt, I just feel for all the people that continue to go to these classes unaware of the poor standard of training they are recieving and that there are much beter ones out there! Luckily I already knew what to expect from a good class so wasnt happy to put up with a substandard one!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Hannah, how did you go about looking for puppy classes?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Hi Hannah, how did you go about looking for puppy classes?
Originally I rang and went to ones advertised in the vets but was not very impressed, I asked people I met on my walks and eventually asked people at a ring craft class I had started going to and was recommened a really good class. Definately go by word of mouth, its just finding the right people to ask! Do you know many people with dogs near you who could recomend a class?