Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 11:27 AM

First puppy class - didnt go too good!

Loki and I went to our first puppy class yesterday, with everything that has happened in the last few months we wernt able to get to one sooner unfortunatly, cause I think it would have benifited him starting earlier!
Anyway we went last night and as the class was at 6.30 practically had to go straight from work, so after being cooped up all day especially with it raining yesterday so he could go out in the outdoor run, we didnt get to go for our evening walk and he was like a coiled spring! He didnt really get given the opportunity to meet the other dogs so spent the whole night straining to meet the other dogs, it felt like we were treated like I knew nothing about dogs or training them and Loki like he was a naughty unrully puppy! Loki may be my first dog of my own but our family dog was practically my dog, I fed, walked and trained with her and I have been researching getting a puppy for my long 4 year wait to be in the possition to get one, durring which time I also handraised two puppies from my OH's mums litter and helped her raise the rest of the litter and done a course in animal care and behaviour, so I may not be an expert but certainly am not clueless when it comes to dogs! My dad has had dogs all his life and still asks my advice on his dog because he knows I soak up any information on dogs I can find and will probably have some advice to help him out (or find some on here!).
Anyway back to the class sorry am rambling! She had Loki and I sit in the corner and for me just to keep him calm and click and treat him for being calm building up the time he is calm for before treating, which I can see is a useful excercise but surely a whole hour is abit much, he was getting good in the middle but by the end he was becoming really borred and chewing his lead and the chair and me! I said to her hes borred and she said no hes not he just wants to go and play and ur not letting him get his way, she said he'll sleep well after this, im sorry but facing away from the rest of the class and chewing his lead is not a sign that his full attention is on the class and he just wants to get to the other dogs to me! And sleep well?! He was hyped up all evening and the worst behaved Ive seen him!
I was so frustrated because Loki was so much beter at ring craft and is, I feel, coming along well with his training, but he just got himself so worked up he was completely deaf to me!
I will be going next week and will try somehow to squeeze a walk in first to see if that helps or at least hopefully he can be in the outdoor run for the afternoon. The handler was nice and I was impressed with some of the methods she was teaching the other owners although alittle patronising at times I felt but there is no point going if Loki is going to be in that mood everytime, we all know when our dogs are and arnt in the right mind set for training, and he definately wasnt last night, maybe I need to find a class that is later, but from my research all puppy classes seem to be early before the older dogs classes!
Was really looking forward to the classes and was just a total dissapointment and sooo frustrating!
One plus though I was complemented on his soft mouth, and for any of you that read my pup seeking attention thread you will know how much work I have been putting into his nipping (still a work in progress) so that compliment was very promising!
Thanks for reading if you got this far before falling asleep!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2006, 11:55 AM
sorry to hear it was a disaster last night doesn't mean it will be every week though,its something new to him he is just being a naughty puppy sure he will be fine.If you feel up to it maybe try again next week and see what happens,I would think he just needs to get use to something new.
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 11:57 AM
sorry you didn't have such a good time i am sure it will get better.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks, will be trying again next week, am really hoping it will be beter then!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear it wasnt much fun for either of you. Give it a few more classes and see if it improves. If you are still not happy with it, try and find another class. I hope it works out for you though im sure you will make lots of doggie and owner friends and you will all laugh whenever one of the pups has decided to have a naughty puppy day!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Kristina
Sorry to hear it wasnt much fun for either of you. Give it a few more classes and see if it improves. If you are still not happy with it, try and find another class. I hope it works out for you though im sure you will make lots of doggie and owner friends and you will all laugh whenever one of the pups has decided to have a naughty puppy day!
Thanks Kristina although have been thinking I may just find another class, I cant see how anyone can expect a puppy to just sit for an hour and not be borred! Loki is very clever and gets borred if not stimulated the class was very handy being right down the road but after talking to some of my dog owning friends I think I might just look for somewhere else.
I know all puppies have their naughty days and Loki is no exception but I know my dog and when I told her he was borred she totally spoke down to me saying he's not he's just not getting his own way for once, he was borred I know how my dog behaves when he is borred/ had enough and who wouldnt after and hour of having to sit/lay watching all the other dogs running round and walking past and doing nothing!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:57 PM
awwwww!!!!!!
Poor you and loki!!!!
It's easy to get harassed at class when a pup is being daft and pup like!!! My last pup befuddled some FANTASTIC trainers and it was pure immaturity on his part so worry not! He got thrown out of class at 4 months!!!!! Was the star of it by the time he was a year.
You've explained why Loki was hyper pup, why not try it next week and as you say try and wear him out a bit first????
I think he should have been allowed to join in in the middle when he calmed down a bit...
Maybe check out other classes too...but don't be disheartened, he was just small and excited!!!!!!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
awwwww!!!!!!
Poor you and loki!!!!
It's easy to get harassed at class when a pup is being daft and pup like!!! My last pup befuddled some FANTASTIC trainers and it was pure immaturity on his part so worry not! He got thrown out of class at 4 months!!!!! Was the star of it by the time he was a year.
You've explained why Loki was hyper pup, why not try it next week and as you say try and wear him out a bit first????
I think he should have been allowed to join in in the middle when he calmed down a bit...
Maybe check out other classes too...but don't be disheartened, he was just small and excited!!!!!!
Thanks Alisa1 I think I will look around for other classes but may try again next week I just thought it was a bit much to ask from a 4 month old pup although as I said can see the benifit of the exercise and know she has a class to take but feel like we were made to sit there for too long that he went past being calm to become worse because he was borred. It was not so much her training methods as I was quite impressed with some of what I watched it was just the way I was made to feel and the way she talked to people I wasnt sure of.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Quick update - Loki was briliant at our ring craft class last night, am feeling alot more possitive looks like our bad week is getting beter! Have been recommended a puppy class that alot of the people at ring craft go to have a phone number and will be calling to find out about it later, will be good to already know some of the people there and loki to have already have met some of the dogs, is a little way out of my way really but dont mind if its a good class!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Blimey - I'm all for teaching and rewarding a dog for being good/calm around other dogs but a whole hour is too much, surely. I have done this with my Loki but not for so long as, yes, he would become very bored and it would fall apart. It's always better to end on a good, positive note and it doesn't sound like this was achieved here.

Hope things improve.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >