Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Riley's First Obedience Competition

Well, we've just got back from the companion show where Riley had his first obedience competition. We entered the 'elementary' class which was not to have won first place i believe - But there were some REALLY good ones in it We had to do, walk to heel on a lead, recall, sit-stay 1/2 min, down-stay 1 min. I explained to them that we'd never done it before and they were really good, told me exactly what i had to do and stuff... Anyway, it didn't quite go according to plan of course, all my fault

Firstly, we've never attended a 'proper' obedience class. We asked for a list of them from the kennel club, and we went along to the closest one but it was mainly just general training (sit, stay, walk to heel, walking aorund other dogs etc) so we havdn't done any proper trainign for obedience, other than me doing it in the garden from what i'd seen on crufts So, the first problem was that ALL of Riley's practices had been done with treats, getting rewards when he was good. I didn't realise you weren't allowed them!! But Riley was SO good considering. He walked nicely next to me, and his recall was perfect (didn't mobve an inch while i walked away from him ) But of course i didn't know the 'finish' so i was t6rying to make him do it and he went through everything he knows (paw, other paw, sit, down, roll over etc etc lol) and everyone was laughing, poor boy!!

And our next problem... I thought the stays were alone not in a group!!! Imagine it.. 25+ dogs all in a circle, handlers walk into the middle and leave them - Where do you think Riley went?! Ma baby followed me EXACTLY to heel into the middle and sat there perfectly the whole time for both stays At least he didn't run out the ring like one dog

Anyway, needless to say we probably didn't get placed (didn't stay to the end of the show) but i think he was actually quite good! Considering I had NO clue what to do, looking back he did everything i'd taught him to really.. Bless!

Now.. Anyone know any PROPER obedience training in Gloucestershire/Worcestershire area? The judge said he could be really good with some training
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2006, 12:07 AM
It sounds as though Riley did very well with the things that he knew

Now that you have an idea of what is required you will be better prepared next time. If you have your eyes set on competition obedience you need to find a class where the instructor has 'been there, done that' and really knows exactly what the ring exercises comprise and how to spot, and help you correct, those small handler errors which can make all the difference to scores - as well as helping you teach your dog to work correctly.

I think there are a few of us here who do obedience, so sing out if you think we may be able to help with anything
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 05:05 AM
Even if Riley wasn't placed Jessica, it sounds like he did brilliantly with what he knew. I'm sure he'll do really well with obedience - you go get 'em Riley
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, Riley did all the things he'd been taught perfectly, although the recall was a bit enthusiastic! Do the deduct points for galloping full speed at handler instead of walking politely like everyone else? He sat perfectly at my feet when he got to me though

I definately want to carry on doing it with him, at whatever level we're comfortable at (i guess obedience classes will tell us that) but he loves it so much that i may as well
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Well done to you both,sounds as though you really enjoyed it.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Ask the kennel club for a list of Good Citizen Dog Scheme courses in your area. Everything you described has to be carried out in order to pass the Bronze GCDS test. Good luck
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
Yes, Riley did all the things he'd been taught perfectly, although the recall was a bit enthusiastic! Do the deduct points for galloping full speed at handler instead of walking politely like everyone else? He sat perfectly at my feet when he got to me though
Don't try to slow down his recall - judges tend to like a really fast, enthusiastic run-up Just so long as he stops and sits in front of you and does not run past you or run into you and send you flying (as has happened to me )
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Aww what a good boy Riley!!!

I think you did very good for a first time competition.

And as SB says, that recall sounds perfect. And the judges will rather see a dog eager to return than one just trotting along..

WTG Riley and Jessica
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Sounds like you and Riley did well for a first time and no obedience classes to help you.
Think you were very brave and well done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >