View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 10:35 AM

Popular Agility Breeds - what would be your top choice for agility?

Just wondered what everyones top choice would be for a agility dog, i have got a border collie and a german shepard dog. I have got a border collie on the way but it was a hard choice as i also very much liked australian kelpies and nova scotia duck tolling retreievers. I was told that the tollers didnt have as much drive though. My parnter is intrested in having a dog himself to run once the pup is a bit older and maybe a different breed would be a option this time. Its hard to choose something else because the border collie has the reputation of the ultimate agility dog.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by need4speed
Its hard to choose something else because the border collie has the reputation of the ultimate agility dog.
Is it true that the BC might end up getting a class of their own in Agility because they're so much better than all other breeds ?

Standard poodles are meant to be good at agility - it's certainly something I'm hoping to try with mine anyway.
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 11:34 AM
There are already ABC classes (anything but a collie)
which give other breeds a chance to go in a class without border collies and their crosses.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Australian kelpies all the way! (we have two), i've worked labs, collies and crosses and would by far recommend kelpies. We've also got a young springer who loves it (and is fast) but don't know if you're wanting a smaller dog.

I've found the kelpies the most keen and cooperative dogs in both agility and other sports, i've never seen a kelpie that doesn't love working! As long as you can give them enough stimulation they're definately the way to go. They also have the highest proportion of dogs working senior/advanced.

Other popular (and successful) breeds are Belgian sheperds like Bailey (Baudwin Cappamore) and Chase (Delarks lucky chase), GSP (german shorthaired pointers), and Hungarian Vizla's. They can all give most collies a run for there money. NSDTR are doing quite well but (in my opinion) don't have the same turn of speed and can be quite stubborn.

Don't get me wrong collies are fantastic dogs, but if you look at the amount stuck in starters and novice compared to the dogs in senior/advanced it makes you wonder if it's the sheer number of them that makes them appear to "rule the roost" if you go to www.agilitynet.co.uk and search for "ABC of breeds" it gives a good comprehensive review of most other breeds used in agility, with honest views form the people that work them.

Hope that helps.

Hazel xx
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I do really like the look of kelpies and the style they work in they have a really nice jumping style. Might have to start looking into the breed for a possibility in the future, another breed i really like are australian cattle dogs but i was told they can be more stubborn and dog dominant.

I agree about the number of border collies in starters and it being because of the large number of them that definately makes sense. I think alot of people choose border collies for their looks aswel these cute fluffy puppys which kelpies to alot of people dont have the same appeal. Are kelpies a non KC registered breed or did i just dream that up?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Hiya,
Kelpies aren't recognised in this country (with most owners wanting to keep it this way) it's best to look for a breeder and dogs recognised by the WKC - the working kelpie council. They don't attract as much attention as pups I don't think because they really come as miniature versions of themselves! They're very bright and lively pups and training can start straight away (though not on equipment obviously). I know a couple of Aussi cattle dogs but wouldn't want to own one personally, they can be very dog aggressive and stubborn, and agility wise (other than one measured into medium) aren't that fast.

A picture of my boy jumping (I love the expression on his face - it's like "yeah a jump - and?")

And one of him weaving - His face says it all really

If you're interested a good site for information about UK kelpies is [Moderator edit. URL removed. Rules stipulate no links to other forums]. I also have a friend who's planning on breeding her bitch this year, I could pass on details if you like.

Hazel xx
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Wow the concentration on that 1st pic is amazing, it wouldnt be for at least 18months that we would be looking for one. KC are very good at ruining breeds they have done with the border collie. What health tests do they have done before breeding?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Theres not a huge amount of tests done as they dont have many health problems in this country - some are eye tested. On the kelpieUK site there is a list of breeders. there are usually 2/3 litters a year (from different places) so you should be able to find some around the time you're looking if thats the route you decide to take. Must say I wouldn't choose another breed now (my springer was an accidental rescue that we fell in love with!). Have you got any pics of your girls?
H xx
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I have but there on disk ill have to get them onto the computer later and register with that site where you upload them then i will share.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
great - can't wait
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >