Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Confused! (agility)

I'm totally confused!

How do you go about competing in agility? I have no clue how to go about it!

I've been on the kennel club website and uk agility but I'm being really thick! I need an idiots guide!

I also think I need to think of a show name for max?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Oooh, where to start?

Assuming you are not even at the training stage yet, you need to find a trainer. This could be either a KC registered club or a private club. The Agilitynet website is a good place to start with a list of all the clubs around. A lot have waiting lists so you may need to be patient but at least get your name down.

If your dog is not registered on the breed register, then you will need to get him registered on the KC Activities register, if you want to compete in KC shows.

Once your dog is starting to put obstacles together in a course, you can think about entering a show. You will need to get him measured so you know which height to enter him in. Hopefully, by this stage, you will have a good relationship with your trainer who will help you with all the preliminary stuff. For KC shows, your dog has to be 18 months old. I don't compete at any other shows so can't help you with their rules and regulations, sorry!

In the meantime, you can prepare your dog by training a good 'wait', directional commands and general obedience.
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I have joined a club which I have lessons on a thursday night Keeping meaning to ask them but its always quite busy. I think they do ukagility and kc shows.

Can you just go to a show and just watch to see what its like?

I'm just totally confused on how it works, What name to give to Max! Can you just register even though it will be quite a while before I compete?

If anyone has any ideas on a name as I'm rubbish!

His full name is maxwell and was going to have maxwell house but that sounds stupid!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
agilitynet.co.uk
top line, show schedules.
and I think there is a list of clubs somewhere on there.
some articles on beginning agility.
Loads of shows in Somerset Devon area and sometimes in nice weather.
train the dog working on both sides, not just trad obedience left side.
Cavaliers will nearly always be in the small groups and plenty of them.
dont be in a hurry to do jumps and weaves
as said a good training group is the best place to start
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Pedigree Cavvie should be on the breed register, if you have papers,thats the name he will run under.
You can go to a show without competing and it is still confusing.
your club will help you.
there will be a number of rings where jumping is taking part.
Each ring will have a schedule
eg small gr 1-3 agility followed by med 1-3 agility then large 6-7 jumping
you will start gr 1 going up to gr 7
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Max is pedigree but not kc registered, He is registered with some other place though, I will have a look at his papers tonight.

I know my club does demostrations for charity dog show and such, so hoping when the next one is I will be able to run to max to see what is like.

I was going to be doing it just for fun but max is really good so I thought it would be good to have a go as least.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2012, 05:14 PM
For kc names I chose the name of the area I bought my first house in, (drakes hollow) an then used nature related words for the first bit, I.e bracken of drakes hollow, moss of drakes hollow etc etc,
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Yes, you can go along to a show to watch. Again on Agilitynet there is a show diary telling you which shows are on and under which organisation, KC, UKA, etc. There obviously aren't so many shows during the winter, just the occasional indoor one; the outdoor weekend shows tend to start around the end of March (again I'm talking KC here). There is always a closing date which can be anything up to two months before the show and, if it's a popular one, the camping allowance can sometimes be taken up within a few hours.

When you start out, you and the dog will both be in grade 1 (out of 7). The classes are split into agility and jumping, the agility containing the contact equipment. When you enter, you will be sent your running orders and a plan showing which classes are in which rings. It is up to you to get to the ring to walk the course before the class starts and then to present your dog roughly in the right numerical order in the class. You get on the start line when it's your turn and get your dog ready but you don't go until you are told to, usually by the person taking down the scores as indicated by the judge. This person, the scrimer, will have your ticket with your details on and will note down whether your round was clear or with faults and the time your dog took.

If your dog was clear and in a good time within the course time you may be placed so you will need to go to the score tent to check and you then need to check when the prize giving is taking place so you can receive your rosette and/or trophy from the judge. This is when you are glad you picked a name for you dog that is easy to read and say!

Be warned though - agility is very very addictive!
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I would not rush it to competing too soon, your club will be able to guide you as to when to start. Due to class sizes at KC, small and medium dogs can progress quickly and quite often inexperienced handlers and dogs find themselves at grades 5-6 before they are ready.

KC activities register form can be found here: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3440

Your will need to purchase an agility record book from the KC and your dog needs be measured before your first competition. Small, medium and borderline medium/large need to be measured 12 months after aswell.

UKA shows you need to register yourself and your dog and you enter what height you think your dog will jump at. They hold measuring sessions during each show and anything below maxi needs measuring. I think dogs have to be 15 months minimum for measuring for UKA.

Personally prefer UKA as generally more relaxed, you can 'NFC' a run if you want to train in the ring and it gives everyone the chance to procress through the levels on points. For me, it also means i can run standard height with my small large dog, which is better for her in the long run.
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm not going to rush just researching to see if I want to compete, max is more ready than me so got along way to go!
Not sure I will be able to cope with the pressure!

I'm going to be doing demonstrations with my club next year where they have fun agility show so I will get a feel for it.

I have been recommended to try the uka as I was told it was slightly more relaxed.