Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Naughty + Nice - what do you do?

What do you do if your dog does something uncharactistically naughty (which they really need to learn that they don't do again!) and then comes back to you on recall?

Takara plummeted head first into my bad books this morning after totally disgracing herself with a duck in a lake (don't panic she didn't hurt it)... when I called her away she was too distracted (very rare! I can usually call her back from mid play or chase) and it took a few whistles to get her to come back.

By that time I was unable to hide my disappointment and I'm sure, due to the playfull mood she was in - she would've come bounding back had she not sensed my anger and instead came back slowly.

I grabbed her harness, clipped her lead on and walked off muttering about coming back when called and potentially orphaning baby ducklings...

I couldn't have a go at her because knowing my animal, she wouldn't come back at all next time, but on the same token - I wanted her to know I was not impressed.

What would you do if your dogs were uncharacteristcally naughty and then followed it up with following a cue?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Usually, if one of mine do something bad and I shout obscenities at them when they are doing it they know then, before they come back, that they have been bad but they also know when they come back they are going on the lead as they lie down and put on a sorry face, so they do come back knowing they are going to be put back on but they also come back knowing why they are going to be put back on but only works if you catch them in the act.

Did that make any sense?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I shout obscenities at them
Is that you well thought out training method then, Kel?

Who needs specially designed training aids when you can shout obscenities?

You should be careful though you know - a neighbour down the road got cautioned by a police officer for swearing in public when he was yelling obscenities at his dog
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I really don`t agree that your dog was being naughty - she was being a dog. If you were teaching her to retrieve game from water you`d have been thrilled! I bet your dog was quite taken aback at her thrilling adventure being so unappreciated. Meanie!
Could you not teach her to retrieve a ball instead of ducks? Daisy has a high prey drive but although she leaps into any body of water going, she ignore fowl, model boats and paddling children because she is totally obessessed by her Ballie.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry I didn't explain. I wasn't bothered by her going after mummy ducky particularly - I know that's very natural.

What upset me was I have never had an issue calling her back in mid chase and today she ignored me. She was just too stuck into it regardless of whistles and shouting.

She was not attempting to injure mummy ducky and I never believed she would hurt the ducklings or even orphan them but I was quite shocked that she ignored her recall which is usually so good.

There's only the one duck and her babies on the lake at the moment and it's the only local lake T can go in as it's shallow so nobody fishes there - she has been in 3 or 4 times since they moved in and stayed over the other side not bothering the duck family and as soon as I noticed her clock eyes on the duck and begin to move that way I called her back and got no response.

Usually Takara has NO prey drive. She will watch a rabbit run across in front of her and ignore it - if she does give chase, she goes slowly just following and comes back without me even shouting her if I walk the other way. She is a typical 'dally fetch' player and despite attempting to teach her retrieves since a pup, she still doesn't really get it and we lose lots of toys that way

Had I thought on I did have a squeaky ball in my bag that would've probably got her out but I went into mad panicking owner instead of calm dog handler!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 01:07 PM
It is so difficult in these situations. You want the dog to know that their behaviour is not acceptable, but don't want to run the risk of teaching the dog that recalling if you've been naughty is not worth it, you'll only get into trouble and the fun walk is over, may as well stay out and party for as long as you can...

We've all seen that sort of dog and owner on the field right? Screaming after their dog, while the dog figures no way mate, not worth it. It's usually the one that comes and joins your pack and you have to walk it back to the owner, usually being yelled at to 'Grab his collar!' You do so, hand him back and wince as he receives an ear bashing or worse. I come away every time thinking, I wouldn't go back either if i was that dog!

I try to be consistent. Coming back is always a good thing. Trouble is, sometimes it has to be a better thing than chasing ducks and that's pretty high value... I have lost my temper when I've been scared (Selkie and the sheep, pharaoh and the rabbit that ran across the main road) and then they have been told off and put back on the lead. But I'm not sure they understood why. I'm not sure they learned from the experience, but I did.. Selkie cannot be trusted around sheep, Pharaoh has to to on a lead before we get near the road...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Yup! We're going back down to the park later, to the lake with a harness and my very long line.

Can't risk her harming the duck or her babies but it's so unlike her that I think it'd be harsh to not allow her off when ducks are around (as they're always around!).

So we'll jump straight back on the horse - long line to ensure safety, and I'll learn what is higher value than a duck (although as I said above - usually they're not high value!)

And in the meantime, I will have to start practising keeping hold of my dog trainer head when things like this happen!

I was just more interested to see what the general reaction was because of the amount of people I see screaming at their dog for poor recall and like you magpye, I wonder how they ever get the dog to come back...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Is that you well thought out training method then, Kel?

Who needs specially designed training aids when you can shout obscenities?

You should be careful though you know - a neighbour down the road got cautioned by a police officer for swearing in public when he was yelling obscenities at his dog
more like YA DIRTY LITTLE MONGREL GET OUT OF THERE

They know.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
more like YA DIRTY LITTLE MONGREL GET OUT OF THERE

They know.
What are you like??

My dogs wouldn't talk to me for days if I called them mongrels!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
What are you like??

My dogs wouldn't talk to me for days if I called them mongrels!
Eh, tell your dogs theres nowt wrong with mongrels

For me it depends on what they have done, sometimes just say nothing works. But I did walk storm home once in a mood as I wasnt finishing his walk with him smelling like something that had died.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >