Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Broken Tooth....

Inca and Tonto just had a scrap and Inca has broken a tooth.
Don't know whether it was on the marble coffee table or just on Tonto's teeth.

It's the tooth just left of middle on her botton jaw, an incisor. It's broken in half vertically, bleeding slightly and I presume as it's right in half the nerve is there.
She isn't bothered at the moment, she got told off for the scrap and is more bothered about lying on the one chew left so Tonts doesn't get it.

Tonto knew something had happened as the tiny half of tooth was on the carpet and he went straight to it (which is why I thought it was his at first).

The edges are sharp. Do I wait and see if it bothers her or take her to the vet. If I take her to the vet will they extract it?

All I know is at the moment she could probably be really good at whistling!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Not sure what to suggest as I've no experience with dogs breaking teeth but I imagine that if the nerve is left exposed it could cause some pain and possibly be a risk of infection?

Poor Inca Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help you more.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I think it depends on whether the pulp is exposed. If it isn't there probably won't be any special treatment necessary at this stage. If it is exposed (you might see a hole) it can be painful and then the dog may need treatment. Bleeding can be a sign so it would be wise to get some advice as it could eventually become infected.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I've had 2 dogs break teeth at the bottom in the front. Boomer broke 1 in a car accident and the vet came to check him over at the scene as he was in shock, but the broken tooth was his only injury and the vet said they would leave it and only remove it if he had surgery for something else, the tooth fell out a couple of years later. Skye broke her tooth right near the gum when she had a head on collision with Teagan over a ball, I took both dogs to the vets the next morning, the advise for Skye was more or less the same as it was for Boomer, but they did check it wasn't sharp in her mouth and told me to keep checking to make sure it didn't cause an abcess. I think I would take Inca to your vet just to get it checked.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Alfie broke one of his teeth, the vet was going to remove it because of the pulp being exposed and the risk of infection but, once he'd got him under the anaesthetic, he phoned me to say that he's managed to clean it up and file it down and he thought it would be ok. He gave me the option of having it removed or leave it, I left it and he's never had a moments trouble, I don't know how it works but it has sealed over. He had a course of AB's just incase
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Poor Inca! Dont know what to suggest as i have no experience of this but probably worth getting it checked anyway just in case
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Poor love. Good advice already given by Lucky Star and Scorpio, I think it really depends on whether the pulp is exposed or if there's a risk of any infection. Why don't you just telephone your vet and ask their advice to be sure. X
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, Inca still isn't bothered by it (to be honest she is loving the attention of me keep gently looking at it, dopey moo), but it is sharp and I can see the hole in the middle of the tooth.
So, she's off to the vets at 11.20 this morning to let them have a look.... she'll love this!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
I hope you get on ok. We are at the vets too today....I`m sure they will be able to sort it out.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Hope all goes well at the vets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >