Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Intestinal blockages

Has anyone had experience of the symptoms of above please ?

Yesterday i gave both my dogs a raw ham bone. They have had them on numerous occasions and been absolutely fine.

Last night my greyhound was panting alot and was restless and vomited a few times, the vomit had pieces of bone in it. She was also standing stretching her front half like a playbow alot. My first thought from the symptoms was bloat.

I took her to the vet and the vet examined her and she says she thinks its just an upset gut and to starve her until later this afternoon and give her some chicken and rice. If she vomits this up or vomits after drinking i am to take her back.

She is not herself at all, she can't seem to settle and has vomited again although she has had some water and kept that down.

I am hoping she doesn't have some bone blocking her intestines, has anyone had similar happen with their dog ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Has anyone had experience of the symptoms of above please ?

Yesterday i gave both my dogs a raw ham bone. They have had them on numerous occasions and been absolutely fine.

Last night my greyhound was panting alot and was restless and vomited a few times, the vomit had pieces of bone in it. She was also standing stretching her front half like a playbow alot. My first thought from the symptoms was bloat.

I took her to the vet and the vet examined her and she says she thinks its just an upset gut and to starve her until later this afternoon and give her some chicken and rice. If she vomits this up or vomits after drinking i am to take her back.

She is not herself at all, she can't seem to settle and has vomited again although she has had some water and kept that down.

I am hoping she doesn't have some bone blocking her intestines, has anyone had similar happen with their dog ?
Hi Eleanor , as you probably know panting/stretching and restlessness can be a sign of pain. I guess you saw the vet this morning?
If you are concerned at any time I would telephone or go back to the vet.

If giving food I would give a tiny amount at a time so as not to overload the tummy. The same with water, little and often is best.
I would keep her warm too, a hot water bottle in a towel may be appreciated.

I hope your girl will be better soon...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry she is worrying you so much, I'd be inclined to ring the vet and ask for some more advice, especially as you've already been seen, and good luck.

I only know this is what horses do when they have colic, so I suppose it's the same with dogs when they have pain in their tummy, the stretching of the front legs and play bowing type of thing.

Has she done a poo since she ate it? That will tell you whether there's a blockage or not I think, because the vets aren't too concerned when they've passed some food all the way through. All the best, you must be very worried
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Wishing her well soon and it isn't anything serious.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Hope you have rang the vet again, my late girl Reah had the same after pinching bones from a bin.
The vet said Upset stomach but as the time went on during the day she was no better I went back and got told the same.
In the end I insisted she was looked at again and she had an obstruction, I was so glad I went with my instincts as the vet that operated told me that she was one very lucky dog, she was in there for 5 days

ask them to re-check...always better safe than sorry
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Often dogs throw up undigested bits of raw bone,very occasionally they can cause a blockage....vomiting is to be taken seriously so don't feel like u are nagging your vet...worse case scenario can lead to what kaos had recently...also could be fine,altho your pocket may not be

Hope this resolves quickly
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I do hope that she will be OK very soon.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the messages and advice.

She has been sick again and it smelt like nothing on earth and it was brown so i'm going to ring the vet
Meg
Supervisor

01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Thanks for all the messages and advice.

She has been sick again and it smelt like nothing on earth and it was brown so i'm going to ring the vet
...yes I would do that right now
..I hope all is well ...x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Oh nooooo, that's definitely not good, sounds like faeces then, I do hope you can get her to the vet and quickly. All the best, positive vibes and good luck with her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >