View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 09:35 AM
My son got married at short notice (couldn't take his partner to Cayman Is with him without a lot of hassle if they weren't married).

Registry Office near Caversham, off to the Tapas Bar in Reading and then a boat trip down the Thames and drinks later at the pub below Caversham Bridge with the decking out over the water. I think hiring the boat for just us was the priciest bit - but not a fortune.

One of the nicest and most stress free weddings I've been to.

I won't regale you with any details of all my own 'fuss free' weddings - I was a 'serial spouse' for decades and you might not live long enough to finish reading about it. Suffice to say I'd hate to have spent a fortune and still be paying some of it back after the marriage was KAPUT!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 10:34 AM
We had a Registry office then round his mum`s for tea. Dress from charity shop. Guests - our mates.
Have the wedding you want.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
When I was first in Ireland.... many young couple start their married lives deep in debt here as a wedding is a huge occasion when they are expected to feast all the large families .

I met a young woman with a baby ; they had had to find somewhere to live when she fell pregnant and her mother was one who would insist on a huge affair costing thousands.

It was worrying her spiritually.....and she needed a church wedding in the Catholic tradition so I asked one of the Friars I knew well if maybe he could bless the relationship. His response was they he would marry them, so we organised between us a secret wedding! I made the cake and the wild flower bouquet she wanted and there were seven of is in all, including the toddler. The good Friar officiated. She wore a lovely cream dress.

The friends who were with her gave everyone a meal afterwards in a local restaurant

Wish I had been there when they told her mother...
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
We got married on a beach at Crear in Scotland, beautiful, secluded and so pretty, up the West coast, prettier than Gretna .

Couple of grand for a week long wedding holiday, just us and the dogs (and my sis and her fella for the day/ceremony as our witnesses) beautiful flowers, photographer and meal included

www.weeweddings.co.uk

Our wedding

Give them a ring, they might have a few dates free and going cheap, they're REALLY friendly and helpful!

We got married here in October it was fabulous
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
can put you in touch with a lovely holiday house ,sleeps10 dogies welcome ,,gretna green five mins away a lovely retreat for you and a few xx
JMC
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
As it was the third time round for both of us, we just took off to the registry office with two friends as witnesses without even telling any of the children. We did, however take them all for a meal a week later.
It was the best wedding day I've had yet ( oh - and the last) and I have never regretted doing it that way.
None of our children or friends were surprised or offended, indeed they were probably quite relieved!
By the way, - deffo third time lucky
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3