Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Healthy food?

just wondering if we could start a healthy recepies thread. I DESPERATELY need to start eating better. I'm ALWAYS ill! So thought we could all share some healthy recepies!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I think one of the best recommendations I can give is to cut out "most" of your fat intake.

Get yourself a can of "Fry Light" and use it instead of oil. Change to oven chips (if chips are your thing), cut the fat off of your meat before you cook it, change your desserts to zero fat yoghurts (Mueller Light etc).

Try and avoid chocs if you can but, if you're like me and cannot, keep it to a minimum one treat a day and stick to it.

Eat as much fresh fruit and veg as you can stand. I also eat carbs at least once a day in one form or another, as they keep me feeling full.

Do all this, and you'll notice a big difference in your energy levels and weight.

x0x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2012, 07:44 AM
steamer.........
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
steamer.........
Mmmm...steamed pizza Sorry, couldn't resist.

100g chicken, 100g rice, some peas, beansprouts and a small amount of soy sauce. Or sweet chilli sauce, depends how I feel. I can have a huge plate of food for relatively few calories.

Drink water and avoid pre-prepared foods, they're often full of sugars or salt or both.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/ has some good recipes if I remember rightly. I lost all my favourites when my laptop died, I know there are some really good sites for healthy recipes.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't eat meat... so that might be a bit of a nonstarter.

The last thing i need to be doing is watching my weight. It's half 6 and all i've eaten is a slice of bread and cheese.

Just thinking about lots of veg, so veg fajitas/curry/chillies/helfy pizzas/home made rissottos. I can make pastas from scratch so that's probably better than the packet muck. And i only eat wholemeal bread.

Just need to get more veg!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I tend to eat only unprocessed stuff. So it`s generally Muesli for brunch and a chop or something and salad and jacket for dinner. You could substitute fish?
I think as long as you cook stuff yourself from scratch you can`t go far wrong.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:36 PM
No meat or fish for me! proper vegetarian ha.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I like to make cheap, quick, easy but tasty meals, but usually something of very high quality with a cheap addition.

So, one of my favourite meals is fresh pasta (not cheap) with chopeed tomatoes, garlic and chopped fresh basil on top.

Filling, nutritious, I grow the basil, and tinned tomatoes are really cheap.

Jacket potatoes with light cottage cheese and a salad is another favourite.

Basmati and wild rice with ratatouille

Keep to no more than 5% of fat per 100g when considering any foods, pre prepared or fresh.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I keep frozen fruit and veg in as the real stuff goes off so fast.

Mixed chargrilled veg (frozen or fresh) cooked in a frying pan in water. When they are cooked put it in a wrap (fajita) with natural yoghurt.

Hot pots - bung a load of veg in a big casserole dish, add mixed herbs and meat like lamb if you want. Pop some dumplings on the top towards the end.

Soups - carrot and corriander, mixed veg, butternut squash soups all full of veg and pretty healthy.

Stirfry veg and noodles with natural yoghurt.

I keep frozen mash in too so I don't have to cook mash. For an easy dinner I grill some fish or a fish cake, and eat with mash and salad or cooked veg.

Jacket potatoes with beans, tuna, salad.

Snacks: dried fruit (banana - not the chips, mango, figs and dates are my favourites)
Frozen fruit (frozen mango and berries!)
Oatcakes

Smoothies and juices are good ways of getting fruit too.

Also if I'm eating something rubbish like noodles or pasta, I throw in a handful of frozen veg whilst cooking.

I know frozen veg is not ideal but as a single cooker I find that buying too much fruit and veg fresh goes off and I get a better variety this way.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Since when was pasta or noodles rubbish???????????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >