Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Choking

I have just had the biggest fright of my life, and am still shaking. I gave my Ruby Cav a Pedigree light and tasty treat and shemust have got a piece stuck in throat or lower and she could not breathe, and back legs went down and she lost her coordination. stuck my finger down her throat, nothing, picked her upside down and banged her back, still in trouble, then suddenly she came back to herself, gave her drink of milk and warm water, and thank god all is well again. Has anyone else gone through some thing like that? so scarey.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
I have just had the biggest fright of my life, and am still shaking. I gave my Ruby Cav a Pedigree light and tasty treat and shemust have got a piece stuck in throat or lower and she could not breathe, and back legs went down and she lost her coordination. stuck my finger down her throat, nothing, picked her upside down and banged her back, still in trouble, then suddenly she came back to herself, gave her drink of milk and warm water, and thank god all is well again. Has anyone else gone through some thing like that? so scarey.
It could be Episodic Falling there are so many possible symptoms of EF that it is often misdiagnosed
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Could you please tell what that is sounds terrible,
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
ok have just looked that up on the web, and she has none of the symtems mentioned, thank god, it all happened while eating treat, so I am sure she got treat caught in throat,a very healthy happy dog, very active etc
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Did you miss part
Temporary loss of control in the hind legs &
An apparent lack of coordination in the rear or front limbs
The dogs don't have all of the symptoms but if they have any one EF should be considered
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
What a fright for you, I stopped giving my two hide strips as both used to get them stuck in the throat, especially when they had been chewed and went all stringy.
I hope your little cav has fully recovered x

Link is not available ?
Dolly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2007, 10:39 AM
It must have been very frightening for you. I too stopped giving my dog those hide chews after one too many episodes of having to fish it out of the back of her throat, because she was choking.
I did a search of Episodic Falling & it looks as though you need to watch out for any more episodes in case it was the cause.........
"Symptoms of EFS vary, but they all are attributed to the dog’s muscles being unable to relax. Typical signs include the Cavalier engaged in exercise or being excited or stressed, and then suddenly develop a rigid gait in the rear limbs, extending and retracting in an exaggerated, stiff manner, like that of a hopping rabbit. The dog’s back may be arched, and the dog often yelps. One or more limbs may also protract excessively. The dog may lose its footing while running. It usually loses all coordination and collapses on its side or on its face. When the Cavalier collapses, it may hold its forelegs over its head."
"The Cavalier does not lose consciousness during the episodes, and mentally, it remains normal. Technically, the collapse is not a seizure, although it may be appear as one. The CKCS appears to know what is happening to it, and sees clearly, but loses control of its body. Afterwards, in most instances the dog recovers relatively quickly; it stands up and acts as if nothing unusual had occurred. However, if the Cavalier exercises again immediately after recovery, it may induce another episode."

If I were you I would certainly check out some sites for information but I do hope it isn't that after all & was just an isolated incident, good luck.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Thank you Dolly for taking the time to post that
Dolly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
:smt001 Alway's glad to help if I can
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2007, 11:42 AM
An update on Jodie, as it turns out she was not choking,as she had another episode the next day but not as bad, my vet who is a neighbour was with me in seconds, Temp blood pressure all normal, heart strong, but an irregular heart beat, Peggy feels she had a little blood clot, which is not as serious in dogs as humans,she is on 5mg of aspirin for 2 weeks, but she checked her out againn yesterday and heart beat was not as bad. She is in great form, and I feel much more relaxed today as all bloods came back normal. Thanks for all your help x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >