View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I am fearful in today's society for the pedophiles that are unsupervised roaming our streets, for the youths that are armed with knifes and more.

I also dislike the fact that in today's society if you call 999 (which i have done twice), when somebody was trying to get in my house on one occassion, It took 3 days for the police to arrive. Thank god my husband was here.

On the other occassion it took the police 4 hours to arrive to my house.

Yet my council tax has nearly doubled in recent years.

There is no space in prisons so offenders are more often left out on our streets.

A friends son who has gone off the rails did a severe assault on a man, his punishment is to have a TAG and received a suspended sentence. but it is up to the offender to be around to have it fitted. If they decide that they don't want to be around (which he did) they then have to go to court. He didn't bother turning up for court and is now quite happily living his life. No police have as yet turned up at his door. (3 Months later)

Is this our justice system, if it is - no wonder we have the youth of today behaving the way they do.

Dont even get me started on the hospitals and nhs system in the country and from my experience it has gone drastically down hill in the last few years.

I am 36 and i honestly don't remeber these things being this bad. Do i just have bad experiences?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I think we have the forms of media we have now has a lot to do with horror storys, as 15/20 years ago you had a news program a few times a day where today you have 24hr news and the internet so news is spread very fast.

There is no argument from me about the justice system here as in a word it stinks.
I dont think you can blame the problems about the nhs at the goverments door more the door of the managers and executives who run it, as it has a more money now than ever yet they have manage to get it it more debt than ever, the goverment are partly to blame for not clamping down on people who are clearly inept at running something so large but imo not entirely to blame.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I think we have the forms of media we have now has a lot to do with horror storys, as 15/20 years ago you had a news program a few times a day where today you have 24hr news and the internet so news is spread very fast.

There is no argument from me about the justice system here as in a word it stinks.
I dont think you can blame the problems about the nhs at the goverments door more the door of the managers and executives who run it, as it has a more money now than ever yet they have manage to get it it more debt than ever, the goverment are partly to blame for not clamping down on people who are clearly inept at running something so large but imo not entirely to blame.
Hear hear! (oops beginning to sound like a politician now)
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I was much better off under a tory government than I am now, and infact I doubt I will ever be able to get back to the position I was.
I can't afford to buy a house, even renting is difficult so unless I win the lottery (which is unlikely as I don't play) then no, I'm not impressed with a labour government at all.
Becky
better off, you must be unique, they bankrupted this country. when they were voted out of office, the national debt was a disgrace. can you remember the 6 million that were unemployed in the eighties, or the way they decimated the mining industry, or norman tebbitt saying to the unemployed "get on your bikes and look for work" ??? i can, and i wont forget it !! unemployment is at an all time low just now, thanks to gordie and tony, and the £s never been stronger.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 07:53 PM
im sorry i dont like gordon brown,bit sneaky looking to me.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I think that Blair has done the pensioners and disabled a good deal, under the tories you hadn't anything.

Some pensioners complain because they get a small increase every year, however there is about 11 million pensioners in this country, if the government give each pension £1 increase a week, that is £11 million extra he has to find, then of course everyone else on benefits needs an increase. the pensioners also get the winter fuel payment, think how much that will be costing.

Yes he has made some blunders but he has also helped a lot of people.

Ian
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 08:01 PM
and most people can't afford to buy a house, many people are leaving the UK because they can no longer afford the lifestyle they want over here. The richer have got richer and the poor poorer, the gap between rich and poor is bigger, there are more bankruptcy's, repossession and Voluntary Dept agreements than ever before. There are more people in poverty now than ever before. There are many of the hidden homeless. I was one of them so the unemployment figures are incorrect because they don't count them like they used to and don't include everyone.
Becky
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I agree there are more people homeless etc, I had this conversation with my carer as they want to buy a house. The biggest mistake people make is that there are two of them working, so the get a mortage based on them both working! Wrong! You should only work on one person working in case the other person is made redundant, has an accident etc and cannot work. The other problem as we (My carer and I have talked about) is that people get credit cards and they pile up the debt, paying interest on what they owe, basically they are throwing money away, that is why my carer and I only get on our cards what we can pay off.

Ian
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
and most people can't afford to buy a house, many people are leaving the UK because they can no longer afford the lifestyle they want over here. The richer have got richer and the poor poorer, the gap between rich and poor is bigger, there are more bankruptcy's, repossession and Voluntary Dept agreements than ever before. There are more people in poverty now than ever before. There are many of the hidden homeless. I was one of them so the unemployment figures are incorrect because they don't count them like they used to and don't include everyone.
Becky
er, i don't agree with you on unemployment. anyone who REALLY wants a job will find one. it's the old story in our society today, " why should i have to work, when i can live off the state ". if it's that bad in UK, why are thousands of european citizens flocking to this country to find work and live here ??
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Just thought i would add that in the 80's i had a mortgage for 3 years. I purchased a house costing £59,000 and when i sold it - it was worth £39,000. By the skin of my teeth i managed to not get it repossessed like many of my friends.

In todays society i cannot afford a mortgage for a 3 bedroom house. Both myself and my husband have good jobs. ( i have 2).

Which is better really - they are both bad situations and different goverments.

The only things today which is frightening is the crime and what villans are aloud to get away with.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >