View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I was always advised to not teach sit. - But I do anyways. I know alot that dont, and they can control their dogs from a stand and wait, so its just the same I guess?
I teach stand first, done on the table and then I teach free stand, before going to a sit.

I have been trying to teach Mace to stand, he will never be shown but its just something else to teach him, keep him on his toes. Its not working, before I have even finished saying 'stand' hes sat on his bum. when asked to sit he does so in mini seconds, so I think as soon as he hears the 's' he is expecting to be asked to sit. I know some show folk use the word 'present' for a stand, and of course 'sit' for a sit. - So thats my next try me thinks, just some fun with the lazy boy.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Back = stand for lots of people............
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
Nope, I have never taught my dog to sit, he is taught to stand when we come to a halt. I have no need for him to plonk his bottom when we stop.
my dogs never plonk there bottom when we stop - an odd thing to say? they sit when asked not when we stop!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
my dogs never plonk there bottom when we stop - an odd thing to say? they sit when asked not when we stop!
That's fine but a lot of obedience classes expect the dog to sit when you halt whatever speed you are moving at & eventually without a command. As you can see from my previous post I have had problems like this at several obedience clubs & had to leave one as they would not let me teach my dog to only sit when commanded.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
And for those of us that compete the cue for sitting is both feet together!

So no need to give a command, and it is not wanted.

so when we train heelwork and we want the dog to retain the position but not sit, we just make sure our feet are in the "moving" position ie one in front of the other.

GSD Sue, why are some clubs such twits?!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
That's fine but a lot of obedience classes expect the dog to sit when you halt whatever speed you are moving at & eventually without a command. As you can see from my previous post I have had problems like this at several obedience clubs & had to leave one as they would not let me teach my dog to only sit when commanded.
Now that is plain daft!!! Why can't the dog be commanded - shame some clubs are so narrow minded?

I have to say having just come back from YKC camp with my daughter - the obedience instructor there was fantastic and he understood that different dogs require different methods of training and was fabulous with the kids! No one way fits all type attitude which really helped! Jess really enjoyed it and Bentley took to it like a duck to water!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
can you teach asbo to sit?
Does he only stand or lie down 24/7 ?
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 09:26 AM
as some of you know i show my dogs and all my dogs are trained in obedience as well , i think personel that all dogs can be trained to do both
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Does he only stand or lie down 24/7 ?
no but he doesnt sit very often... can garantee he is either on his feet, bouncing about, or lay down in the sun, or curled up on the bed....
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And for those of us that compete the cue for sitting is both feet together!

So no need to give a command, and it is not wanted.

so when we train heelwork and we want the dog to retain the position but not sit, we just make sure our feet are in the "moving" position ie one in front of the other.

GSD Sue, why are some clubs such twits?!
Now that is something no one has suggested. If I were now not disabled & so not competing it would be great. Am passing it on to all my friends. Have been taught moving off on a different foot if I want a stay or a heel but never this.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >