Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:50 PM

Putting flour on a cut

my dog cut her ear last night there was blood everwhere! she didnt even seem to notice tbh but i really get worried woth things like this, any way i read on the internet to clean the wound apply pressure and then to put flour on the cut to stop the bleeding - it worked brill i washed it all off this morning and cleaned her ear and its healed great,

is this ok to do? just want to check that i did the right thing thanks
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:53 PM
We use flour on our guinea pigs claws if we cut them a bit short and make them bleed. It stops it straight away.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:54 PM
No idea - but on humans pepper stops bleeding. Probably not a good idea for a dog though
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I've not heard of flour stopping the bleeding but a great tip.

When I was grape picking in France many years ago, I was always cutting my fingers with the secaturs ~ an occupational hazard coupled with me being clumsy!. One of the farm workers told me to crush a grape & rub it on the cut. The sugar in the grape stopped the bleeding in no time & the grape juice apparently acts like an antiseptic to stop infection. But perhaps not so good for dogs.....
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2010, 08:25 AM
stands to reason really

the same consistency as wound powder
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I've not heard of flour stopping the bleeding but a great tip.

When I was grape picking in France many years ago, I was always cutting my fingers with the secaturs ~ an occupational hazard coupled with me being clumsy!. One of the farm workers told me to crush a grape & rub it on the cut. The sugar in the grape stopped the bleeding in no time & the grape juice apparently acts like an antiseptic to stop infection. But perhaps not so good for dogs.....
Yeah really great tip.

Although I wouldn't use the grape one on myself or the dogs. As the sugar in the grapes make bacteria breed quicker and can prevent healing. One of the reasons why diabetics don't heal as well is due to the amount of sugar in the blood.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
Yeah really great tip.

Although I wouldn't use the grape one on myself or the dogs. As the sugar in the grapes make bacteria breed quicker and can prevent healing. One of the reasons why diabetics don't heal as well is due to the amount of sugar in the blood.
I didn't know that about the sugar in grapes ~ it always seemed to work on secatur cuts though.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2010, 09:47 PM
thanks guys you can hardly notice the cut now its healed up great