Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 09:46 AM

Burns/barf diets

My nan wants to put her nearly 1 year old cavalier either on barf or burns which one do you guys find better?and which certain bag would you go for? the cavalier has alot of problems with abcesses on her bum and wants to change her onto a diet which would help this, thanks zoe
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Hiya Zoe

How much time does your nan have?

Will she be comfortable with feeding bones, raw meat, fish and offal (I think that's wot u call it... liver, heart and others)?? BARF is not something you just do.. Believe me... I've been reading and asking questions for over 6 months now, and still havent dared take the jump

If not... I would suggest Burns (or any other kind of kibble, the dog would thrive on)
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Hiya Bellaluna i also think burns would be the best option! she has alot of time to spend with holly she gets scrambled egg every morning and a wet dog food at night, which could be whats causing her health problems so i said to try her on a kibble mix to see if that helps as she also has quite abit of dried skin so i think that a new diet would help this and i also asked inca what she feed her cavaliers on a while back and she also recommended a dry food. The thing is my nan thinks holly wont have a dried mix and wont eat it so goes back on the wet food, i think she should try a dry food to see if it helps, and not give into holly so easily! But i wanted to know what more experienced people thought, thanks for your help.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi again

Yeah your nan need to be "tough" for a couple of days...

A dog wont starve itself... So Holly will eat when she gets hungry. And I agree with u that this wet dogfood is no good. Oh and I've also heard that some dogs have problems with eggs, so the scrambled eggs might not be the best either

Try a nice kibble, and I must say everyone here seems to favour Burns, so try that
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks very much Bellaluna for your advice, i agree she needs to be tough ,holly knows that if she does not like something there is no need to eat it as my nan alwalys provides something else!yes i think that the scarmled egg is no good for her when she has so many problems, she even sometimes has a bit of tea! i read some where that tea can cause dogs to become diabetic but i dont know how true this is, im looking after holly at the moment as my nan and grandad are away so i might start her new diet, and im sure by the time they get back she will like it! My nans phoning tonight so i can talk to her about her new diet im sure she will agree it for the best,know i need to think about which bag of burns to buy
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Regarding which bag. I take you mean which flavour of Burns?

The Chicken and the Fish are the same nutritionally, the Venison is lower in fat. From what i've read dogs seem to be more picky with the venison though. The venison is also slightly DEERer If you go on to their website you can request a sample. Two small bags of chicken and fish arrived the next day when we did it.

Graeme
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Graeme, yep i ment which flavour!do you know if pets at home sell it because i m going there any way to get my excel rabbit food so it would be handy if they did thanks zoe
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Zoe, I've not seen it at Pets in Home up here.

You could give Burns a phone and ask where your nearest stockist is though

Graeme
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Ok thanks i will do that!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey Zoe,

Have you thought of home cooking? I am still looking into BARF but am currently feeding one meal of Burns in the morning then home cooked in the evening (meat, veg, brown rice, bonemeal, olive oil - although will be changing to fish oil).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >