Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 06:48 AM

Help Have I done This Right 'Tree planting'

Bought a Rowan tree a couple of days ago to plant on my daughters ponys grave. It seemed a bit dry in its pot so stood it in a bucket of water, while I dug the hole, which I also filled with water.
As i took tree out of pot the compost fell away round it so I put tree in hole which was still swamped with water as soil is like an orange clay stuff, emptied the little bit of compost in hole and put orange clay I had dug out back in as well. Tried to firm it with my foot but the water kept rising out of the hole and there didn't seem enough soil, so I got some Horse manure from our heap and filled rest of hole with that.
Then to stop rabbits chewing the little thin what will be trunk I tied some plastic sacks round tightly.
Will this be ok? Will it take in the clay and root out in the clay. Will the manure on top give it some fertilizer? How often should I water it, bearing in mind its clay and it was swamped when I left it Monday afternoon? and lastly can it breathe ok with those plastic sacks tied round?

Any tips and comments appreciated and I thought it best to find out quickly before it gets settled in case you say dig it up and start again. It was expensive so I don't want to lose it.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Instead of the plastic sacks tied round it, get an empty 2litre drinks bottle (one of the big ones) and cut both ends off, leaving a plastic tube.

If you can slip this on over the tree whole, then great, if not, cut down the side and then tape back up.

This should keep the pesky rabbits out and not stifle the tree

New plants should always be watered in well, so it shouldn't need anymore water for a few days. If it continues to be dry, just give it a sprinkling with a watering can, but otherwise, planted in the ground, you shouldn't need to water anymore.

If it needs a bit more soil, use compost/normal soil, not manure, although the bit you've put in will help it to root.

Hope it grows well!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:06 AM
The only problem with clay soil is it doesn't really drain water, so the only problem you might have is the tree's roots will be sitting in a pool of water

As Isochick has just posted, don't water it for a while and top the soil with compost. Manure can burn the roots unless it's well rotted. I'm sure when Kazz comes online (our gardening guru ) she may be able to help

I look forward to seeing pics of you're tree in a couple of years time
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Gardening guru - HA

Anyhow your choice of tree is lovely Rowan's are lovely tree's and the idea of the plastic bottle to stop the rabbits is great.

I have sent you a link on tree planting. And phoned a friend who has clay soil and asked as I know they spent a couple of year planting some tree's in their garden so they should have perfected it by now Karen
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Rowan was a great choice - guardian tree of life and death And great choice for our native wildlife!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Hi Gardening guru - HA
With a garden as beautiful as yours, you couldn't be anything else
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Rowan was a great choice - guardian tree of life and death And great choice for our native wildlife!

Thanks we chose it because of its spiritual properties as my daughter and her pony had the most amazing spiritual bond and were real soul mates. She was the only one that the pony adored and we thought it the perfect choice for her ponys grave and when it grows she can sit under it and still be close to her beloved best friend.

Thanks for all the advice, I think we are going to have to dig the tree up tomorrow and start again.