Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluefinn
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2008, 08:32 PM

How do I get started in working trials?

I'd like to start working trials with my 2 year old G.S.D. Finn, but don't know how to go about it. I live in west Wales and would be interested to know if there are any clubs or trainers or anyone who could show us the ropes anywhere fairly near. Finn loves searching for things in the undergrowth, but that's about all we've done so far.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2008, 07:14 AM
You could try the Kennel Club website who list all clubs registered with them or visit:

http://www.workingtrials.co.uk/

Your best bet is to visit an actual WT event and speak to people there.

I tried to get into it but received no reply emails to my queries. I also attended a local event but I have to say, the people there seemed very stuck up and cliquey so I didnt bother!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2008, 05:30 PM
That`s really sad - the club I go to (Benfleet Working Trials) is lovely and really welcomes new people - with any sort of dog (from Westies to Rotties). They use positive training methods too. Try asking around local gundog people. Al these clubs have their own character.
I bought a couple of books which were very good - How to train a Working Trials Dog by Peter Lewis which is about what it says and Introduction to Working Trials which tells you about the actual rules etc.
bluefinn
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've tried both suggestions and we seem to be out in nomans land in west wales as far as training clubs go! It's a shame because to me Finn seems to have quite a good nose and I'd like to learn how to develop it properly. We were accepted at Severnside for Schutzhound but apart from not being totally sure about the protection side of it I couldn't make the 3 hour journey enough times to make it worthwhile. We'll just have to muddle along by ourselves for fun and hope we're not doing too much wrong. He's still got his agility to keep us busy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by bluefinn View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've tried both suggestions and we seem to be out in nomans land in west wales as far as training clubs go! It's a shame because to me Finn seems to have quite a good nose and I'd like to learn how to develop it properly. We were accepted at Severnside for Schutzhound but apart from not being totally sure about the protection side of it I couldn't make the 3 hour journey enough times to make it worthwhile. We'll just have to muddle along by ourselves for fun and hope we're not doing too much wrong. He's still got his agility to keep us busy.
You could look for a branch of the British Association for German Shepherd Dogs
pagan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Seems a shame you've had no luck or help so far, you may like to try these sites
www.workingdogtrials.co.uk
has good info about getting started and getting support from current enthusiasts and
www.ariciadogtraining.co.uk
are a training school based in Whitchurch Shropshire (not that close to you but I am terrible with maps and distances so ?) and cover working trials training and may be able to put you in touch with someone more local to you.
I haven't had much dealings with either of these sites personally but it may be helpful to you (fingers crossed)
www.crosskeysbooks.com always have a great selection of teach yourself type books and leaflets written by experienced trainers in each discipline so if you can't find a club you can start DIY-ing it.
Don't give up though, working trials are great fun and take it for what it is F-U-N don't get drawn in to the minority fanatical element that you find in most dog sports. It is the same in all walks of life the few try to spoil it for the many but do it for yourself and your dog and ENJOY
bluefinn
New Member!
Female 

08-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that. I've got a private lesson at Aricia Dog Training next month. It's about 130 miles away but if I can go once a month it'll get us started.
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:47 PM
was showing sasha on a wed site explained what she was and we got talking bout my intensions were with her.I explained to the lad that i wanted to race her at westhoughton race track just for fun and meet other people that race lurchers.Do a bit of rabbiting with her.Oh he said,have you ever thought about field trials,or using her as a gun dog ect in that line of work.My first thoughts were here is someone taking the micky out of me,so i told him so.No he said i am quite serious,sasha looks like she has alot of the weimaraner in her,how is she outside on fields etc.Well her nose never leaves the ground,she is learning retrieving a ball at the min and she is always carrying things in her mouth.Next question was can she carry an egg in her mouth without breaking it.By now i was realy confused.So last night i was telling my partner about the conversation,and i thought he was taking the micky,i am being polite here.Anyway i thought about it all night.So guess what i gave her an egg to carry waiting on it to crack all over,no it didnt happen sasha actually carried the egg about for 7 mind 38 secs,then she put it down and picked it back up with her back teeth,that broke the shell a little,so for a treat i gave her the raw egg.I was also told to put a block of wrapped butter in her mouth and let her walk around with it to see what the teeth prints were like,i aint done this with her as i feel a fool.Some way its to tell me if she is heavy mouthed or not please dont think i am thick but i dont know anything about field work,or this method.If i am being taken the micky out of will some one please tell me,also would this kind of breed she is bred with make a field dog.Please be honest with me.sorry to go on and bore yous.
bluefinn
New Member!
Female 

17-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I had my lesson with Carole at Aricia dog training. Finn had a great time and we came away with lots to practice, we've got another one next month. and we are both looking forward to it.