Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Last chance highway

Has anyone seen this programme?Its on the the Animal Planet,Tuesday evening-I think its 9 pm.Its from America,(the South).Some of the dogs who are due to be P.T.S are taken from the pound ,vacinated,spayed/neutered,fostered,then rehomed in the North .Would be interested in your opinions Maureen
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I will look out for it, ive given up with that channel though mostly as the few shows i did watch seemed really inacurate and got me a little cross!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
My friend just completed a run with these guys. 12 dogs our of high kill shelters in Texas to the northern states. We were a bit worried with the weather of late, but everything went smoothly!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I watch it i think it is great, and Shelley is amazing! Saving all those dogs, and paying all the vet bills out her own pocket!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Has anyone ever seen this.......heartbreaking and heart making all in one.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes I've seen it. I love that woman! She's a star. Talk about dedication!! But you're right, it can be heartbreaking but very heartwarming too!
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Did anyone see last weeks episode?- Shelley rescued an older dog from the roadside,in a terrible state physically and very fearful.They worked really hard with this lovely dog and ,after being fostered it came on so much.Shelley replied to a young girls application to adopt- who said she wanted to give a home to a dog who needed a bit more care and T.L.C and she was approved as the dogs new owner.In this conversation the girl was told that she MUST keep a harness on the dog as it could slip its lead-she said No problem.
In the same episode a litter of 5 puppies were taken from "Death Row",also with mange,they were very listless,hardly any fur and ,as you would imagine very smelly.Again after baths every other day,antibiotics etc in the foster home ,they were put up for rehoming
At the end of each prog,theres an update on some of the dogs re-homed,I was looking forward to 2 happy endings.
1 of the litter of puppies was shown lying on a big dog bed in his new home
in front of a roaring fire,gorgeous.
Waited for 2 nd pic-on the screen came these words ,or similar
A few weeks after being rehomed------(cant remember the dogs name) slipped his collar and ran away.I was
It really upset me as the girl had been told about the harness-I do think Shelley and her team work very hard ,but I wonder a little about rehoming procedure-Shelley doesnt meet the owners beforehand and the owners dont meet their dogs.
But still she does get dogs out of a desperate situation where they would be P.T.S
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I posted the same question on the General Dog Chat section on 5th Feb and have just added a post about last weeks programme.I dont know if you saw it but Id be interested in your opinions,from Maureen
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:23 AM
I saw that episode, and couldnt believe the girl let her slip her collar when she was warned about that. I did think she was good though in the way she chose a dog that she thought had less chance to be rehomed, and didnt just chose a cute 'easy' dog... must be hearbreaking for Shelley though after everything she did for Hope.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
Did anyone see last weeks episode?- Shelley rescued an older dog from the roadside,in a terrible state physically and very fearful.They worked really hard with this lovely dog and ,after being fostered it came on so much.Shelley replied to a young girls application to adopt- who said she wanted to give a home to a dog who needed a bit more care and T.L.C and she was approved as the dogs new owner.In this conversation the girl was told that she MUST keep a harness on the dog as it could slip its lead-she said No problem.
In the same episode a litter of 5 puppies were taken from "Death Row",also with mange,they were very listless,hardly any fur and ,as you would imagine very smelly.Again after baths every other day,antibiotics etc in the foster home ,they were put up for rehoming
At the end of each prog,theres an update on some of the dogs re-homed,I was looking forward to 2 happy endings.
1 of the litter of puppies was shown lying on a big dog bed in his new home
in front of a roaring fire,gorgeous.
Waited for 2 nd pic-on the screen came these words ,or similar
A few weeks after being rehomed------(cant remember the dogs name) slipped his collar and ran away.I was
It really upset me as the girl had been told about the harness-I do think Shelley and her team work very hard ,but I wonder a little about rehoming procedure-Shelley doesnt meet the owners beforehand and the owners dont meet their dogs.
But still she does get dogs out of a desperate situation where they would be P.T.S
I do love this programme, but I do worry that rehoming on such a huge scale might have it's draw backs. Case in point being Hope who managed to escape her collar.

What worries me is the vast amount of dogs being rehomed, that said watching the programme it does seem that a lot of thought and effort is put into finding the right owner for each dog. What concerned me about Hope was rehoming such a quiet, timid dog in a flat within a city was perhaps not the best idea. We can't automatically assume it's the owners fault for what happened.....