Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Introducing a small breed to very lively giant breed

I'm not getting another dog. My cousin looked after my two guinea pigs last week when I was away and I said that if I could ever return the favour I would. She has just asked me to look after her 4 month old female JRT/ESS cross. Who is a quiet little thing most of the time. Without giving it much thought I agreed. Now obviously I am worried about my big lively boy. Now I have no doubt that after the inital meeting he will calm down but it's just initially I am afraid he might get a bit too ruff with her.

As I mentioned in another thread he has just come back from kennels where he was out in a huge paddock playing around with lots of dogs the smallest of which were cockers and there were no problems. The girl said if anything he looked after the smaller ones.

I am stessing now and don't want to let my cousin down. I think it would be great for him to have some doggy company but as she's not mine I'm so nervous something will happen.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. How should I introduce them? I have part of my garden sectioned off should I keep them separate first?

Sorry to go on. Hope I've explained myself clearly.
Gizmoli626
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Let them meet outside first and bring them into the house together. My dog is tiny but thinks he is a big dog, i find its best to try not to restrict them. As long as you know your dog wont get aggressive then just let them meet. The lil dog will soon let your dog know if it is too much, it's the only way they will learn.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Aww don't stress!

If he was well-behaved & looked after the little ones in kennels, I bet he does the same with your cousins dog too. Just keep an eye on them when they first meet & have that rush of excitement, I bet they will be just fine.

Marius is as giddy as they come when he meets another dog, but he always gets on the ground with little ones. I think they sense they have to be a bit more gentle
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks a million for the reply Gizmoli26. This is more or less what I was thinking. I find any time I try to restrict Ivan from greeting any other dog that comes into the house the more high strung he gets when all he wants to do is say hello and have a smell. I find with small dogs when out on walks if we don't let him get close enough to smell a small dog (just because owners tend to be nervous) he will try and swipe at them. Ivan always ends up being told off by most dogs. He does get a little over zealous bless him!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Aww don't stress!

If he was well-behaved & looked after the little ones in kennels, I bet he does the same with your cousins dog too. Just keep an eye on them when they first meet & have that rush of excitement, I bet they will be just fine.

Marius is as giddy as they come when he meets another dog, but he always gets on the ground with little ones. I think they sense they have to be a bit more gentle
Thanks Anne Marie

I'm just nervous and I really don't want to be I know he is such a big softie and just wants to play but doesn't know his own size and if my cousins dog runs away from him, cause she is timid, he will chase her but my instinct would be to just leave them be
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I know what you mean. When they are so big there is the possiblity of them hurting little ones by accident.

In my experience though, it's the wee ones that end up being the bossy boots and putting the giants in their place lol It happened to us yesterday in fact - Marius met a 14 week old Rottie pup whilst out on a walk (sooo cute wish I'd had my camera! ) It was brave as a lion, not the slightest bit fazed, in fact it was trying to mate his head in dominance ROFLOL - Maz just shook him off lol

If I was you I'd introduce them on-lead in neutral territory, so they have chance to have a sniff whilst both being under control. Once they've got all the initial interest out of the way, you could then let them off?

I bet you'll be posting pics of them rolling around like great pals together soon!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh bless Marius I can just see him. I'm hoping that's the way it goes that the terrier comes out in Tiger and she is well able for him. My cousin treats her as a baby and is very protective so I might just keep them apart until she has left, is that horrible!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I think Ivan will be fine, he seems to have very good manners.

Ollie gets on much better with little dogs he tends to be a bit aggressive towards bigger dogs if he hasn't known them from a puppy.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks Lynn. I hope so
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
can I just ask?..... what breed is an ESS?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >