Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Small breed for agility

Hello

when I did a search, I found a thread back in 2006 on non-collie breeds and wondered if there was much new thinking since then?

I have an elderly lurcher and am thinking of upgrading (so to speak) and bringing in a pup while she's still active - at 15, she's still pretty bouncy.

she *hated* agility and I'd really like to compete, but don't think we want another dog that big - we'd be better with something smaller

it needs to be: fun, trainable, happy, not dog or cat aggressive (we can sort that, I think) and good at agility.

Am considering: Working cocker spaniel, Parson JRT if I can find ones without the SCA, border terrier (except I never met one I loved enough to want to live with it) and whippet, just because I love them, but don't think they'd be that good at agility.

all/any thoughts and comments welcome

E
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

30-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I would suggest the Miniature poodle, Great little dogs for the Mini Agility.
Very trainable good with cats and other breeds.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Shelties are quite popular for agility as well x
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I run my Cavalier in agility, and we have 3 regular Cavaliers in our agility class. They fit your criteria, although they're not the fastest dog, but they do tend to be very accurate.

I approve of your other choices too, I am hankering after a working cocker at the moment. I've also looked at toy poodles, and I can see them in my future as well.

So, you could try looking at Cavaliers, Poodles, and maybe a Patterdale Terrier, they're brilliant at agility, although I hear they are a lot of hard work!
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2008, 08:18 PM
.... or that dreaded hybrid, the spoodle... I kind of like hybrids, my lurcher's been going strong for 15 years and has three working breeds in her immediate parentage (WSD, working beardie and coursing gh), but not sure about a spoodle.

thanks for that - will put them to the family and see where we get to.

anyone who has any experience of these, please do say....

thanks

E
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

30-11-2008, 08:29 PM
My first ever dog was a Mini Poodle, very intelligent, very obedient. Loved everyone and everyone's dogs. A real pleasure to live with. I did not do agility with her but I have watched the Mini poodles in the a mini agility on many occasions when I was at Crufts and bo y could they go and were accurate.

Good luck with whatever you decide and do keep us posted.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I have seen a few min poodles in training and they are fantastic to watch, shelties seem popular too

There is a cairn terrier in our class and she is fantastic

Have seen some agility italian grehounds too

basically think of a small dog and then google 'name of breed and agility' and you will see someone running one

But I wouldnt get a puppy just to be an agility dog cos you have no idea how they will turn out

There is lots of great dogs in rescues that would make great agility dogs, my collie cross Ben is doing great as a medium dog and Mia has some great potential too - and you will have an idea how they are with cats and stuff too
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2008, 07:49 AM
I have never done agility with my dogs, but my two whippets spend the whole day up at the stable yard with me. One of them would rather walk around the jumps, but the other will purposel run around the jumping arena popping over jumps just for the fun of it - and that's by himself I really must look into a local agility group as I'm sure he would really enjoy it.
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Angel44 View Post
I have never done agility with my dogs, but my two whippets spend the whole day up at the stable yard with me. One of them would rather walk around the jumps, but the other will purposel run around the jumping arena popping over jumps just for the fun of it - and that's by himself I really must look into a local agility group as I'm sure he would really enjoy it.
now *that* would be good to see. I do love sighthounds, but my lurcher was never all that interested in agility - she'd rather be out bushing - but then I didn't know it existed when she was young, and hadn't found clicker training then either, the world would have been a different place if I had. If you try it, do let us know....
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
agree with toy/mini poodle, cocker spaniel, also chinese cresteds are very good at agility (check out the powderpuff if you dont like naked dogs!) and mini schnauzers can be as they are very food driven.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »