Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2016, 10:39 AM

Judged for the type of poppy we choose?

Just a few comments I've read recently make me wonder ?
I wear a ceramic poppy and my dogs wear poppy dog tags both came from the poppy shop run by The Royal British legion so why should I feel bad for not wearing a rubbishy paper one? Especially as it cost far more than most people put in a tin for their paper poppy.
I'm not offended, just bewildered by the comments tbh.
I have relatives now departed that fought on both sides during WW2 so I'm hardly being disrespectful. Also my younger son was challenged at work the other day for not wearing a poppy, why is everyone so judgemental these days?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2016, 11:09 AM
The thought police, even a puppet had to wear a poppy on the The One Show!

I would have liked to have got the purple ones for the dog's collars but didn't see any on sale.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2016, 11:25 AM
The purple poppy used to be available from Animal aid but they've replaced it with a purple paw print brooch which you could wear but not the dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Sadly these days everyone has an opinion, and feels it is their right to express it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 01:15 PM
what a strange thing to 'attack' people for. Kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing.

It's about remembering and that is the important thing. The type of poppy or no poppy at all surely makes no difference
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
what a strange thing to 'attack' people for. Kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing.

It's about remembering and that is the important thing. The type of poppy or no poppy at all surely makes no difference
I agree, why does it matter?
I used to buy paper poppies and invariably lost them or retrieved them from the floor, I'd end up with half a dozen sliding about on my dashboard in the car because that's where I tossed them.
I've no problem with people voicing their opinions, just trying to understand what led them to form said opinion.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Well I wear a knitted poppy knitted by my Mom all the close family do. No one has questioned me on it. But lots of people have always thought they have the right to comment on other people's actions and lives.

Its not what you wear but your actions.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sadly these days everyone has an opinion, and feels it is their right to express it.
I don't have an objection to someone expressing their opinion as long as they are polite or at least civil about how they do so. And don't deny others from expressing theirs in a similar manner. Not always how it goes.

Poppies? Our dog has a metal reflective one for practical reasons. My wife and have the regular paper ones. For me, it is the thought that counts.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 06:31 PM
This might be directed at me because of a remark I made in another post.
I can tell you my reason for the comment. I understood that the proceeds from the sale of the paper poppies went to the benelovent funds of wounded/ retired soldiers, sailors and airforce men.
I know the the poppy broaches can be bought from Amazon with no reference to the Royal British Legion. Who gets these profits?
It was just a thought I would rather my money went to the RBL.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
This might be directed at me because of a remark I made in another post.
I can tell you my reason for the comment. I understood that the proceeds from the sale of the paper poppies went to the benelovent funds of wounded/ retired soldiers, sailors and airforce men.
I know the the poppy broaches can be bought from Amazon with no reference to the Royal British Legion. Who gets these profits?
It was just a thought I would rather my money went to the RBL.
Fair points. All ours came from a poppy seller's tray outside a supermarket.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >