register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
solo
Dogsey Junior
solo is offline  
Location: uk
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 34
Female 
 
06-12-2015, 08:31 AM
There are the 12 days of Christmas, non of which should be in October or November, but sadly they now are.

I am a traditionalist that adheres to the old ways who detests the way commercialisation is taking so much away from what used to be a lovely, much loved and waited for event in the winter month.

Reply With Quote
twix
Dogsey Senior
twix is offline  
Location: s e england
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 934
Female 
 
06-12-2015, 03:27 PM
IMHO the sooner it's all over and done with from the start of halloween to New Year's Eve the flipping better.
Reply With Quote
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline  
Location: Dogsey and Worcestershire
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 49,472
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
06-12-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't 'do' Christmas I am a Humanist .
For me it is an irritation which has to be overcome .

For the sake of my grandchildren I buy gifts and spend a few hours with them. I take part to a degree with things like school nativity plays and carol concerts to fit in and not spoil things for others.

I don't eat Christmas dinner, the smell of dead bird cooking turns my stomach and living alone I can and do eat exactly what I want at any time so nothing special about Christmas there.

So to me Christmas is much like any other weekend only longer

For 10 years I worked as a volunteer so that those who enjoyed Christmas could spend it with their families. Now I am older it is my time to spend as I choose
Reply With Quote
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Lacey10 is offline  
Location: Nr Ireland
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 19,204
Female 
 
06-12-2015, 05:06 PM
I absolutely love Christmas
I go completely mad,go overboard with the gifts,the dec's and the food and drinkHave family and friends over.Only time I really get to catch up with some of them
I think,what the hell,life's too shortSorry for sounding morbid,but who knows if we'll see next Christmas!I intend to enjoy every one of mine
Reply With Quote
galty
Dogsey Senior
galty is offline  
Location: london
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 330
Male 
 
07-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I don't 'do' Christmas I am a Humanist .
For me it is an irritation which has to be overcome .

For the sake of my grandchildren I buy gifts and spend a few hours with them. I take part to a degree with things like school nativity plays and carol concerts to fit in and not spoil things for others.

I don't eat Christmas dinner, the smell of dead bird cooking turns my stomach and living alone I can and do eat exactly what I want at any time so nothing special about Christmas there.

So to me Christmas is much like any other weekend only longer

For 10 years I worked as a volunteer so that those who enjoyed Christmas could spend it with their families. Now I am older it is my time to spend as I choose

That is so sad that the fact you have Grandchildren and have to spend Christmas alone.

I do take your point as in my case I spend one day with my daughter on the 25th she never had children but we still celebrate it together, and the look forwardered to the 2 dark months of WINTER ending
Reply With Quote
Azz
Administrator
Azz is offline  
Location: South Wales, UK
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,570
Male 
 
07-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Ah, Christmas. The hollity, the jollity, the skippy skippy doo. The lights, the songs, the gift-giving, the wondrical, magicous, fansplendapular spirity-wirity-widdly-poo.

Spare me. Please, no, honestly, just do. Either that or be merciful and suffocate me with the elf ears already. I used to not mind Christmas, not really. I've never celebrated it, not even as a child; my family belonged to some crazy religious cult that held all things joyful to belong to some wonderland you only get if a certain number of changeable and arbitrary criteria are met, so I have no sentimental attachment to it, but I don't mind if other people do. Good for them! Really, truly, good for them-- if it's magical and wonderful and uplifting and awesome, that's excellent, and being excellent to each other, surely one of the best moral prescriptions around, involves welcoming and rejoicing in excellence that befalls others, right? Right? Even if I don't want any sodding part of it, right? I can do that, right?

Oh no. No, no no no no, sorry old bean, oh ha, you thought that was a thing, you poor dear. I used to not mind it, but now I hate Christmas with a passion, and that's a shame, because there is a lot to like about it. The Christmas mass is beautiful, for a start. Some of the songs are even good. But come on. There is a point-- it comes earlier and earlier every year, now it seems to happen before the leaves even start to hint that they might be a little less green than they were, that people seem to forget how to use a calendar and all of a sudden it's ***Is it Christmas? OH MY EVER SQUINGING PIE OF GLORY YES!!! YES!!! YES IT IS CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!*** when the answer is actually, no, it's OCTOBER, it hasn't even been Halloween yet, for the love of anything, anything at all, will you people stop putting lights up and guzzling disgusting liqueurs made of mostly milk and something even more appalling and just let me put this pumpkin on my head, allright? NO DO NOT SPICE IT AND PUT IT IN COFFEE IT IS GOING ON MY HEAD AND THEN I AM GOING TO EAT IT. Sheesh. It's a squash. It's food, okay? Okay.

Seriously though... it does come earlier and earlier, which is annoying in itself, but then when the actual day arrives everyone is thoroughly sick of it. What's magical about fairy lights when they've been up for three months and half of them are dead already, the ornaments painstakingly handmade out of dough are turned to black mouldy sludge, the cat has ingested and barfed up way more tinsel than you ever put out, someone has sabotaged every copy of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer they can find (thank you, whoever you are) and everyone is about to collapse from shopping-induced stress and diabetic coma, even if they're not diabetic, and the only people remotely excited are toddlers who aren't going to come down from their sugar high until June and you can time three hours after dawn by the screaming, because that's how long it took them to open their presents, and the screaming begins when they find out that they only got seven hundred and eighty two gifts and none of them are the only thing they wanted (which was everything).

But that's not the worst part. The worst part is having it rammed down your throat, day in and day out, and people going out of their way to point out for you that you you are a miserable excuse for toxic pond scum for not participating. If you say you don't celebrate Hanukkah because you aren't Jewish, that's fine, but mention that you don't celebrate Christmas and people look at you like you just told them that you eat babies with puppy sauce for Satanbash. It's not just for Christians, it's for everybody! they say, stabbing you through the ear with a light-up bauble while secretly replacing everything in the shop you want to buy with egg nog and sausages wrapped in what may as well be baby in puppy sauce for all I know what it is. Join in the festive spirit! Don't be a Scroogy McPolPotPants! Jingle those bells! I said jingle 'em!

How about... not? Usually it's actively encouraged to respect the traditions of others, and I do, honestly, not mind people going all out on their own Christmas. Light up everything! Give strangers ugly socks! Set puddings on fire! Do whatever it is that floats your boat in your... my goodness, what are you drinking... no, make that why are you... never mind. Have fun, be happy, and please trust that little treeless, presentless, puddingless people can be happy too.

But please, please, please, no more Rudolph. I'm about to have a psychotic episode over here.

Merry Christmas!
Hellova rant there SC - enjoyable read tho, great writing!

Originally Posted by galty View Post
That is so sad that the fact you have Grandchildren and have to spend Christmas alone.

I do take your point as in my case I spend one day with my daughter on the 25th she never had children but we still celebrate it together, and the look forwardered to the 2 dark months of WINTER ending
You appear to have misread Meg's post - she said she chooses to spend it like that.
Reply With Quote
galty
Dogsey Senior
galty is offline  
Location: london
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 330
Male 
 
07-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hellova rant there SC - enjoyable read tho, great writing!



You appear to have misread Meg's post - she said she chooses to spend it like that.

Did not misread.

Just replied with a wrong word in my reply which did make it look that.

Should have used the word CHOOSE than HAVE
Reply With Quote
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline  
Location: Dogsey and Worcestershire
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 49,472
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
07-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
That is so sad that the fact you have Grandchildren and have to spend Christmas alone.

I do take your point as in my case I spend one day with my daughter on the 25th she never had children but we still celebrate it together, and the look forwardered to the 2 dark months of WINTER ending
Have no fear Galty my grandchildren live just a mile away and I see them every week including for 'Nanna dinners' which they love .

Do I want to spend hours queuing up to fight over the last brussel sprout on the days preceding Christmas in order to cook a meal to 'celebrate' the fictitious birth date of a person who may or may not have existed centuries ago , I think not
Do I want to go to another house to eat a dead bird, I think not
I will go to my grandchildren's house in the afternoon of Christmas day taking my home-made Christmas pudding made from of raisins soaked in rum and spend a few hours with my three lovely grandchildren aged under 6 before retreating to the peace and quiet of my own home

I am my own person, having spent a lifetime pleasing others I now please myself
Reply With Quote
galty
Dogsey Senior
galty is offline  
Location: london
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 330
Male 
 
07-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Have no fear Galty my grandchildren live just a mile away and I see them every week including for 'Nanna dinners' which they love .

Do I want to spend hours queuing up to fight over the last brussel sprout on the days preceding Christmas in order to cook a meal to 'celebrate' the fictitious birth date of a person who may or may not have existed centuries ago , I think not
Do I want to go to another house to eat a dead bird, I think not
I will go to my grandchildren's house in the afternoon of Christmas day taking my home-made Christmas pudding made from of raisins soaked in rum and spend a few hours with my three lovely grandchildren aged under 6 before retreating to the peace and quiet of my own home

I am my own person, having spent a lifetime pleasing others I now please myself
Each to his/her own but I do find that very sad.
Reply With Quote
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
gordon mac is offline  
Location: oldham, UK
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,011
Male 
 
07-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Good on yer Meg, I'm a great believer in doing what suits yourself. If you like it and are perfectly happy that way, don't see why it should worry anyone else. S*d 'em I say, Xmas or no!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo Christmas joy! kammi_sparky123 General Dog Chat 14 22-12-2014 03:42 AM
Photo Christmas!! Nippy General Dog Chat 16 05-12-2014 07:15 PM
Your Christmas trees. Merry Christmas. Lynn Off-topic Chat 39 20-12-2011 04:19 PM
**Merry Christmas!( Christmas greetings thread ) SLB Off-topic Chat 44 25-12-2010 09:08 AM
Christmas Message Thread. Please feel free to add your Christmas Messages. chelsea Off-topic Chat 53 24-12-2007 07:48 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top