Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 10:54 AM

HORRID looking bruise (got blood drawn)

Got some blood drawn yesterday. They needed 4 large vials and my veins were playing slip and slide, as usual. Took 3 stabs and tons of digging around and they only managed 2 1/2 vials. Normal. I woke up this morning with THIS painful and hideous WHATEVER

This is in the small of my elbow, where they normally draw blood. It hurts like crap, too. I've never had anything that looked like this before. It's incredibly gross, I know.

I had to snatch the tape off (she told me to wait 10 minutes before doing so and it got really stuck) and the sticky CRAP would not wash off, so just put some ointment on it for now.

IS THIS NORMAL? I'm going to ask tomorrow on surgery day if it's still there, as well... but wondering if anybody had had this type of bruising where blood was taken before. It hurts more than usual, as well.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi Myra, I've seen it much worse than this on some people, especially if there's been some difficulty finding a vein perfectly.

So, not abnormal, and some might say that you got away pretty lightly.

Hope that the discomfort goes soon for you x
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2015, 11:53 AM
looks as it a tribal person aimed a blowdart at you and missed several times. I would go and check one the person who did it if they were qualified.

this is why there are now firms chasing medical mistakes to make a claim about same as is for car accidents

I saw that nurse training, in the UK, was on TV was down to a matter of about 6 weeks and not even shown how to fold a bed cover properly.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2015, 12:27 PM
I have had bruising when I was a blood donor I used to put an ice pack on it.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 12:49 PM
I've had bruising from just above where the blood was taken at my elbow right to down to my wrist.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Myra, that is absolutely nothing! Don't worry, you will be fine. I used to be black & blue after I donated blood ... the needle they use is quite a wide one, and boy did it hurt!

A funny story coming up ... when my daughter was extremely ill in Addenbrookes with Crohns, the nurses had the devil's own job to get blood out of her. They had knackered most of her veins, and in the end had to resort to taking it from her ankle which is incredibly painful apparently. So, to teach her how to relax and not get too hysterical when she had to have blood taken, I arranged an appointment at the Blood Donor place at Addenbrookes to go and give blood, taking Holly with me in her wheelchair so that she could see how cool Mummy was about having blood taken.

We arrived, got settled in, I explained to the nurse why Holly was with me and I saw her wink at Holly and off she bustled to get organised whilst I lay down on the couch. Holly was nearest the door and blocking my view, and when the nurse returned Holly said"Mum! Mum! You won't BELIEVE the size of the needle they are using it is absolutely MASSIVE!!" I assumed she meant long, and told her not to be so silly and relaxed whilst they rolled up my sleeve, put the tourniquet on and get started. Stupidly, I glanced down and to my horror saw that the needle was MASSIVE in width! O sh*t thought I, this is going to really hurt but I must not squeak or make a noise. The nurse rammed that bloody needle in as hard as she could I am sure to try and get me to react, but I quivered never a lip or an eyebrow, even though I wanted to shout "F-F-F-F- *********" at the top of my voice!

They got their pint of blood, and off we went back to the Ward. Holly was totally in awe of my stiff upper lip and quizzed me several times as to how much it must have hurt. I reassured her each time that because I relaxed and thought of lovely delicious chocolate, it was not so bad. She is certainly fine about her regular blood tests now, so I like to think that I helped her a bit ... and gave those blood bank nurses a huge laugh I am sure, because I have never seen such a big needle before or after!

And yes, I was bruised black and blue, all round the site, which faded to yellow and then eventually disappeared.

What a heroine!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Tumbleweed, gosh that made me laugh. Yeah this has never happened... so you may be right about her not knowing what she was doing. I have stretch mark scars and I really do not bruise easily at all, this is new to me.

Great story, Gnasher. Btw, I had to have it taken from my neck once, my foot once, and a nurse once put an IV in the hard vein on the inside of my wrist. After a while when I complained about how painful it was and showed the next shift nurse, I was told she was NOT supposed to do that at all. Talk about pain... OW!

It hurts a ton more than usual, too... which is also abnormal. It usually only stings a little. I guess I'll be okay, thanks everyone.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2015, 10:42 PM
i have to have blood tests quite often. so they don't bother me so much now. other than a glucose test but i've always been told with the piece of cotton wool press down hard and it don't bruise so badly. and i'm on aspirin for im a bit of a bleeder. which reminds me id better arrange to have my bloods done when i see the doc tuesday.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Ehh, it's nearly gone now. It does still hurt, though. I don't bruise easily and had never seen anything like this in my life. I had a surgical procedure done on 1/22 and they had to call in the IV team after the first nurse failed to find a vein. They kept saying they only saw shadows of a vein and when they probed, it "disappeared".
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Eugghhhh! I hope it is clearing up now.
They can never find my veins, they are buried under so much fat I once left the out patients dept with 5 sticky plasters on me where they had so many goes!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >