Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I do think that in some ways the tightening up of rules regarding dogs running onto their leads at the end of a run has not helped the situation. They finish a run in a state of very high arousal and the toy provides a release and a focus for that energy.

I would hesitate to do agility with Benj---not because of th actual run but because by the time he had queued and watched dogs run for that length of time he would be on the ceiling and ready to get anything that moved. He has a low threshold for noise/movement/aggro and agility wouldn't help that at all.

rune

Yes I agree and this was one of the things the two people I discussed mentioned, as the dogs go straight to the bucket. No problem if the bucket is on the floor, however it can be a problem if a small boy scout is carrying it.........

If I need to rehabilitate my dog, I will attend a rehabilitation class, if I have no need for this I certainly do not want to be in a class where other dogs are being rehabilitated, my prime responsibility is to my dog.

It is the same if I am teaching clients, if I have a dog that is untrustworthy with other dogs, then all the other dogs remain in the car; period.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:59 PM
When we had our lovely Cherry she was very reactive to other dogs and I saw Attila (behaviorist who some of you may know as he did HTM at top level with his dog Fly).

He was very helpful and recommended I did agility with her. I joined his classes and she really enjoyed it and was very good. I remember her competing in the competition they had after only doing agility for 6 months and she came 3rd out of the whole agility school.

However, she was very hard work as she would "kick off" at the other dogs and even though I had her muzzled or the other dogs were removed sometimes I would go home in tears as I felt we had taken a step backwards with her problems.

Her agility "career" ended when she decided she would have a pop at the Parson Jack Russell behind her when she was sat at the start line waiting for me to call her over the first jump. She was muzzled so she could not bite him but his owner got bitten by his own dog when he picked him up to stop him biting Cherry in retaliation.

I was mortified and realised that I would never ever have the confidence (or stupidity) to enter Cherry in competitions because of her reactivity and I was so stressed out doing agility with her I was not enjoying it.
There were other reactive dogs in this class but not to Cherry's standard of reactivity.

The difference as to how I felt when I took Parker instead of Cherry made me realise that although she was so much better than him I could not cope with her doing this sport.

We also had a couple of nasty incidents when she got reactive dogs going for her at agility classes (not the one mentioned above).

The 2nd incident was when I was changed to a different class on week 7 of an 8 week course and put in a class with one other dog-a highly reactive Beagle that we had never seen before. It spent all the time eyeing Cherry up and barked continually at her. The trainer was running her on a lead doing the course and we were each taking turns with our dogs. Then halfway through the evening the trainer let the Beagle off-lead without any warning and it flew straight at Cherry. I kicked it to stop it going for her and the owners were very annoyed (as was the trainer) but it was obvious to anyone with half a brain as to what this dog would do if let off the lead,

So to sum up-I don't think that agility classes were the best choice for my particular reactive dog and I am unhappy with other reactive dogs being off-lead/unmuzzled at classes as the 2 Kerry Blues I have now are both dog-friendly and I want them to stay that way!

I think other people's choices/situations are obviously different and I am really glad that Amanda and Cain are enjoying and benefiting from their classes.

I have a friend who does agility classes at a stables near Dereham about 15 miles from where we live and that would have been the perfect choice of venue for me and Cherry to have had lessons as she only lets one dog in the ring at a time and the rest wait behind a 5 foot wall where the dogs cannot eye each other up. Had she been doing this class when I was doing agility with Cherry then it would have been perfect for us.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy and I used to go to the antisocial dog class at Essex DTC. Half the session was agility. Andy (trainer) said learning to control an excited dog was important. The dogs loved it and it really helped the bond between dog and owner.
Here`s Daisy doing her stuff.

Andy now runs his own classes in Brentwood and agility is still an important part of his sessions.
Beautiful dog
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post

Do you think that aggressive dogs have no place in agility? If someone can control their reactive dog off lead, should they be allowed to let them off in that environment (obviously not talking about Cain here!) or is it always too risky?, should more classes accept aggressive dogs on a case by case basis rather than a blanket ban?, should only experienced trainers accept these dogs in their classes?, would you be unhappy if there was an aggressive dog in your agility class?
I think it depends on club, venue, trainer, people & insurance - and dog - and the other dogs.

Can see how competitive clubs won't want to know.

I can kind of see how any club that doesn't know the dog might not be interested either.

I wouldn't take the lodger to a class where dogs where constantly kicking off at each other - I don't think it'd do him any favours.

If someone can control their reactive dog off lead I'd have no problem with them being offlead - with only one dog running the course.
But I'm guessing it would have to be solid - not a
"someone can control their reactive dog offlead as long as no one from the next class arrives and lets their GSD start haring around in the background offlead" sort of thing & not sure if the two go together.

Either that or you'd need a secure venue where unexpected people/ dogs couldn't just pop up & cause havoc.

Ridinghood pet dog agility look like they do private lessons...

Edit: & unless told, I doubt anyone would know Cain could be a pain. He's a credit to you and has that Agility equipment totally sussed!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I think as we 'know' you on here and know how responsible you are with cain, and how much effort you put into working with his issues, it is different- I think its fantastic that you have found a club where you can have a stress free experience whilst keeping everyone safe.
Unfortunately not everyone is as responsible with you. I would be hesitant to join a club with DA dogs there, but then I have had bad experiences- both at training and competition.

The first bad experience I had was with my GSD, she was attacked by another GSD at training who ran over to her when off lead, the dog punctured her nose...nothing was done by the club about the dog.

The worst experience I have had is when in the ring last year and a dog (wont name breeds as it may identify the person!) from the next ring ran into my ring where I was running ripley and just outright attacked her, it just would not stop even though within seconds dozens of people were in the ring trying to get this dog off mine it was a good 5 minutes before it released its grip on her face (she didnt retaliate at all). This dog and the womans other dogs of the same breed are well renowned for leaving the ring. I didnt make an official complaint but the dog did it again a week later and I havent seen her at kc licensed comps since (may be coincidence though).

I also really struggle in the queue with mav, he is very calm and sensitive when queuing but SO many times he has been 'floored' by a dog next to us in the queue, despite me asking for space.
Its amazing what people let their dogs do in the queue, ripley is an awful queuer if i let her be- so i dont, why others cant be as courteous I dont know.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I do think that in some ways the tightening up of rules regarding dogs running onto their leads at the end of a run has not helped the situation. They finish a run in a state of very high arousal and the toy provides a release and a focus for that energy.

I would hesitate to do agility with Benj---not because of th actual run but because by the time he had queued and watched dogs run for that length of time he would be on the ceiling and ready to get anything that moved. He has a low threshold for noise/movement/aggro and agility wouldn't help that at all.

rune
Dont get me started on leads/toys hung off metal stakes or in buckets hung up...seen too many dogs catch their lips.
And as for people holding the leads at the end...are they mad?!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 05:58 PM
It is possible to teach the dog to hunt for the toy at the end of a run and then indicate and wait for a game----no one bothers though.

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 07:07 PM
It is possible yes, but like you said earlier, dogs come out of the ring pumped up, I want my dogs to drive onto their toy because that's how I build drive in training, making them stop and indicate to the toy defeats that object.
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2012, 03:14 AM
A couple of weeks ago at an Agility trial I was sitting with Remmy sitting beside me on leash and a Smooth Fox Terrier came racing out of the ring and attacked him. All Remmy wanted to do was escape and I had to fend off the dog with my foot as he kept coming back at him.

They keep telling people to leash up their dogs before them come out of the ring but they still let them just race out of the ring. Remmy wasn't hurt, just some red marks on him as he has quite a heavy coat.

They never did anything about it but I noticed she made sure she picked up the dog after her next runs.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2