Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
'anything but collie'

there are jumping classes (no contact equipment)

and agility classes (with ce)
Thank you ...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:04 PM
So, would you seriously choose to own a border collie primarily because you want to compete (and do well) in agility?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So, would you seriously choose to own a border collie primarily because you want to compete (and do well) in agility?
no not at all, i quite often say i like border collies, but couldnt see myself with one, just wondered about the "better" breeds thats all. also wouldnt like to have a heavy set breed and put it through agility, i understand thats why alot of the large breeds dont do it.

did anyone just see the gordon setter doing agility then online?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:48 PM
When I went to obedience classes with my Cairn terrier years ago I know a lady who bought a Border Collie to do obedience with. She had a Bassett hound and she got so fed up with him being anything but obedient she purchased a Collie.

I know a man who has had Bassetts for 40 years and he said the trick with them is to spot what they are then going to do, then give them the command and you can fool yourself they are being obedient!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I would imagine most people get into agility with whatever breed they have and then move onto a more competitive breed if they enjoy it.

I started doing agility with my northern inuit. It has been very hard work but she is now doing very well (and at times very badly ). I got my BSD originally to show, but it has turned out that agility is more his thing. The difference is unbelievable. Whilst Sacha loves agility it is on her terms. Callan is a pleasure to work with and as we spend at least every weekend away training or competing it makes complete sense to me to have a breed that is more suited to the sport you choose.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think you can do agility with any sort of breed apart from Bulldogs or Bassetts/Dachschunds (though I had a friend who did it with a wire-haired Dachshund but their legs aren't really long enough for the jumps and might put strain on their long backs?).

It's just if you were going to be competitive you would probably need to have a good think about which breed you wanted.
Off course bulldogs can doooo itt

Pretty much ANY breed can do agility, my class includes several gorgeous crossbreeds, the bulldog above haha, labradors, a lurcher, a 13 year old poodle, spaniels, a malamute, a weimeraner, schnauzers, and one border collie (mine) who is built like a tank! Haha if you focus on competition to be honest you can get stressed out, it's just a laugh. I'd say out of our lot, the weimeraner and the mini schnauzer are the best. Give it a go with your cresteds, they're just as likely to do well as any other dog. Don't worry about getting fast times or winning or whatever, just treat it as something extra fun to do and if you want to do competitions then great, if not, then it's still a laugh and you'll meet lots of lovely people.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I would imagine most people get into agility with whatever breed they have and then move onto a more competitive breed if they enjoy it.

I started doing agility with my northern inuit. It has been very hard work but she is now doing very well (and at times very badly ). I got my BSD originally to show, but it has turned out that agility is more his thing. The difference is unbelievable. Whilst Sacha loves agility it is on her terms. Callan is a pleasure to work with and as we spend at least every weekend away training or competing it makes complete sense to me to have a breed that is more suited to the sport you choose.
Very true but, agility isn't for everyone, so I just think it'd be best to try it out and give it a go with the current dog. Plus there's no garantuee the dog will like it, would clo still enjoy a border collie if it really didn't enjoy agility?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:02 AM
There are quite a few AG CH kelpies...they all had to gain their title in champ classes against collies and other breeds!!

As for getting a dog for agility....i started with my GSDS, i am competitive so when it came to my next dog- a border collie made sense, i already loved the breed and i wanted a dog that would have the potential to be better than good at agility. If i had never got involved in agility then i probably would have stuck to GSDS. BUT, if for some reason i couldnt do agility then i would be just as happy with my pet collies as i am with my pet gsd.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Very true but, agility isn't for everyone, so I just think it'd be best to try it out and give it a go with the current dog. Plus there's no garantuee the dog will like it, would clo still enjoy a border collie if it really didn't enjoy agility?
Yes that is what I was trying to say. Give it a go with your current dog and see if its for you.

I agree there is no guarantee you dog will enjoy it. A dog must be a pet first and in my opinion let the dog choose the sport he or she wants to do. I do obedience with one of mine and agility with 2. Neither are what I originally got the dogs to do but its what they enjoy
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I started out doing Agility with my Bernese cross but although she was really good on the equipment, she was fairly tall so just had to jump higher than I liked.

I switched over to my Shih Tzu x Maltese and he did great earning two titles his first year of competing. I have now started on my other Shih Tzu x Maltese but she is considerably smaller, only 8 lbs and about 8 inches tall, but she is really enjoying it too. It is really addictive, just wish I could have started it when I was younger instead of in my seventies.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >