View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't like channel weaves, Bertie was trained on them! Teagan was trained on upright weaves, her entries aren't good, but she's fast when she gets in them. Skye was trained on v-weaves and this is how I'll train Star too.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

I am interested (and gonna have a try I think) at the 2x2 Susan Garret one.
I bought those with the intention of training my current pup but have to say I haven't got on very well with them. Partly, I think, because I have been trying to do it in the garden and it's difficult to be consistent with our British weather over the winter! She has just about got it now using v weaves (training indoors) but I have a couple of months still before she competes so I might still have a go reinforcing her entry with them.

There's an awful lot to the 2x2 method (2 CDs to watch!) and I have to admit to finding it a lot to take in and then translate to what I'm trying to do in the garden.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
I don't like channel weaves, Bertie was trained on them! Teagan was trained on upright weaves, her entries aren't good, but she's fast when she gets in them. Skye was trained on v-weaves and this is how I'll train Star too.
Rune was channelled and was fantastic on them, George was trained using solid wires and learnt in a week was never red hot fast at anything but went in right, the others were in/outed on leads and thay worked fine. Polly I clicked but although she could do it she only did it for something to do amd always needed my body there.

One of my friends is very successfull just using the basic in/out on the lead with a lure that she has always done. So are her pupils.

Horses for courses I think, loads of practise and consistancy whatever method will work.

rune
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2011, 01:49 PM
My lurcher was taught normal weaves, and, when we trained one of our youngsters later on, we trained him on channel weaves, so we trained the lurcher on them as well. She was competing, but putting her through the channel weaves in training didn't muddle her up. Seemed to recognise the difference. The outcome was that, with her, she became a lot more independent in her weaves, and more confident in entering from funny angles, as well as a lot faster!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Control, control, Control (to plagiarise Tony Blair).

Speed is nothing without control!

Oh, and barking is NOT necessary!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Control, control, Control (to plagiarise Tony Blair).

Speed is nothing without control!

Oh, and barking is NOT necessary!
Yep heard that before. Control (E collar) Control (Pinch collar) Control (Shouting and keepng dogs away from other dogs

Then you get happy dogs trained in the right environment and things go right. So what if they bark they are happy!!

May take longer but I would much prefer a happy dog that does agility or whatever because they love it
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:20 AM
I didn't read Smokey Bear's post like that at all. Some dogs that bark are happy, but sometimes barking, especially in a dog that doesn't usually bark, can be a sign of stress. If my lurcher's barking, this is usually the case - it is very unusual for her normally.

Most of the top handlers too have control and speed, so it seems good advice. A fast, uncontrolled dog is liable to be erratic and could end up injuring itself by leaping off the dog walk or similar. And, I think there is some kind of rule where judges can ask people with uncontrolled dogs to leave the ring, if they are liable to cause danger to themselves or others.

Another piece of advice for beginning agility competitors - it's always good to read the rules that come with the entry forms covering all sort of stuff like grades, grade changes, etc.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
I didn't read Smokey Bear's post like that at all. Some dogs that bark are happy, but sometimes barking, especially in a dog that doesn't usually bark, can be a sign of stress. If my lurcher's barking, this is usually the case - it is very unusual for her normally.

Most of the top handlers too have control and speed, so it seems good advice. A fast, uncontrolled dog is liable to be erratic and could end up injuring itself by leaping off the dog walk or similar. And, I think there is some kind of rule where judges can ask people with uncontrolled dogs to leave the ring, if they are liable to cause danger to themselves or others.

Another piece of advice for beginning agility competitors - it's always good to read the rules that come with the entry forms covering all sort of stuff like grades, grade changes, etc.
I agree with you, but I disagree with Smokey Bears training methods from previous posts, so maybe I have read it wrongly. Apologies if I have and she did not mean it as I read it.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
A fast, uncontrolled dog is liable to be erratic and could end up injuring itself by leaping off the dog walk or similar. And, I think there is some kind of rule where judges can ask people with uncontrolled dogs to leave the ring, if they are liable to cause danger to themselves or others.
I was at a show yesterday and a young staffy went round completely out of control and ended up taking a nose dive off the top of the dog walk! Fortunately, it seemed okay but it definitely wasn't ready to compete!

Yes, a judge could ask a competitor to stop competing if they thought the dog was at risk but you have to weigh up all sorts of things like the competitor's right to compete having paid the entry fee, and you only have a few seconds in which to make the decision. You would have to be really sure there was a risk before intervening and then have the courage to act and stand by your decision. I've come close but never actually stopped anyone in mid-flow! Sometimes, it's a lesser risk to allow them to carry on.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:25 PM
I clicker train my dogs, I have great control, barking is not a sign of happiness it is a sign of being out of control, and lack of self control and my dogs love their training.

Not sure where you get the idea my dogs are not happy?!

Seen them? Met them? Met me?

I realise some people disagree with clicker training, but from my point of view, that is just one less person I have to worry about beating!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >