Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Financial Ombudsman - Very Helpful

I cannot praise them highly enough, I spoke to them today about my ongoing saga with a certain pet insurance company.

The chap I spoke to was brilliant, very calm and precise in his manner, he asked for my details and then a brief outline of what had happened so far. Unfortunately I couldn't be brief as this has been going on for so long and despite the fact that I have tried to contact them since the cheque was received and have left them two answerphone messages again today, they just won't respond.

He didn't pass comment on them, which I thought was very respectful of him, after all, he only knows my side of the story, but he said that they will be writing to them, with a copy to me and a complaint form which allows them to take things further on my behalf if I don't hear back from said insurance company, following FO's initial letter, and if things don't get sorted to my satisfaction.

He asked what I was looking for to settle the matter...I said that I'm not greedy but I cannot afford to be so much out of pocket when I had insured Leon in good faith, for them to make deductions willy nilly and end up paying out a measly £280 after I had paid around £700 several months ago. I wasn't happy with having to wait so long for them to send me some money, I wasn't happy with the lack of communication, and I'm even more unhappy that they keep sending me letters saying that they are not covering him for this and that as its not cost effective...then why am I bothering to pay my monthly premiums?

I had some good advice on here, to continue paying the premiums until the matter is settled, he confirmed that I should do this...I've been on Dogsey long enough to know that we have a wealth of knowledge between us, and are always happy to share that knowledge.

I just wanted to let you know what response I got from the Financial Ombudsman and would encourage others to use them if needed..they are very approachable people
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Glad they're helping Sheree - will be interested to see the outcome.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Good news...I had a phone call today from the Customer Relations Officer at the pet insurance company, with reference to my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman

Pretty quick reaction considering I only received my copy of the letter in this mornings post.

Anyway, I can't grumble about the reaction...I did grumble about the lack of attention, the fact that I could never get through by phone, and when I did I was fobbed off etc., and the fact that I had forked out around £700 in good faith thinking I would be reimbursed most of it by them. He said that he would certainly be looking into the claims departments systems.

A learning curve for me...just because the insurance policy states that the maximum pay out is £500 per condition this doesn't mean thats what you get...after the initial policy excess is deducted, then their additional 35% of the remaining claim is deducted...you get left with the balance... just under £300 in Leons case.

As a goodwill gesture the chap from the insurance company is arranging to send me another £30...he has checked and double checked the figures and thats that...nothing else can be done. (I did check Leons policy out with our solicitor and he confirmed that the small print where they state that the excess is £69 plus 35% of the remaining vets fees, as they haven't specified what that actually related to I would have a hard time trying to accuse them of anything..and the fact that they say the maximum claim is £500 per condition, but don't elaborate further means that I can't do anything about that).

A decision I know have to make is do I stay with an insurance company that won't insure Leon for his eyes, his bones or his stomach or do I look for an alternative company that will do the same now that he has had problems in those areas. Maybe I should cancel his insurance altogether and hope he doesn't need anything expensive done

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that if you are having problems with a company that comes under their scrutiny, a phone call to the Financial Ombudsman will certainly get the wheels rolling
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 03:54 PM
sometimes these people have you over a barrel, as you say a lesson learnt, at least they are sending another £30 to you. Hugs hun xxxxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I am sorry you didn't get as much money as you expected from them. But I am glad you got more than they tried to fob you off with. My initial reaction would be to cancel the policy but think long and hard as you may be better off keeping them, but I doubt it. Goodluck deciding.