register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Lynn is offline  
Location: March, Cambridgeshire.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,570
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
12-08-2009, 08:12 AM
I think personally if people aren't going to accept offers reasonable ones of course then market at a fixed price.

We have sold 2 houses over the past 12 years and were agreeable to reasonable offers the first one was a silly offer so Gorden told the Agent what we would expect he went back and the buyer was prepared to pay that and we accepted. Same on the second house, this house was on for less than the agent wanted to market when we made an offer we were told that so we paid full asking price. All very simple some people do like to play about and maybe she is being awkward because it is a marriage split and there is some animosity. If you really want it and I must say it looks worth the asking price and you are happy to pay it go for it it would be a shame to lose it as it sounds ideal. If she said to the Agent she would accept offers of course she is going to get offers. If they are reasonable ones and she has stated the price she would accept on an offer then she is never going to sell if she keeps playing around when the offer she says she will accept is offered and then she says she won't accept.

Good luck Sheree it gets so frustrating. This is what's playing on my mind when we decide to sell and then buy I am not good at waiting.
Reply With Quote
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
scorpio is offline  
Location: Old Leake, UK
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,080
Female 
 
12-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
If as you say, you have never seen anything else like it in the price range then why should they drop their price. I think these days everyone just expects people to accept so much less than the asking price cos phil and kirsty say so and it's nonsense. If the house is priced right they shouldn't need to accept a lower offer.
Being nosy I had a look and if it's the one I think it is then it looks as if it's been extended and is about the same price as other properties in the area. Not having to live through building work is priceless, frankly.
Yes, you're right, the others in the area are similar prices and haven't half the room that this one has got, although they do have bigger gardens, thats the only downfall of this one, the tiny garden, but neither of us are keen gardeners so its not a problem.

I think its been drummed into us so much whilst selling our houses that you have to expect to take an offer, thats what everyone is doing at the moment we kept getting told, and what you lose on yours you will make up when you buy something. So we have gone looking with that firmly engrained in our minds...that whatever we see we wouldn't pay the asking price for. Then the agent for this house more or less confirmed that so now its a sort of catch 22 situation, the woman selling the house lost the one she wanted because hers didn't sell, so she isn't really bothered because she hasn't seen anything she likes, but then the agent told her she will be in exactly the same position when she does find something she likes, if she hasn't got hers sold.

My head is spinning with it to tell you the truth, I accepted a low offer on mine as it was too far away for us to easily maintain from here, it was better to let it go, even though it was 25k less than I actually paid for it, rather than have it as a milestone round our necks. I convinced Clive to take the offer the lad made on his as it was the price he was hoping to achieve and I said that we could make it up on the one we buy, so I sort of feel responsible too because of what the agents had told me.

At the end of the day, we both feel it is worth the asking price, there is nothing to do to it other than a blooming good clean up and a coat of paint, we need to extend the driveway round to the front but thats not the sellers fault, theres nothing wrong with how it is now, just that we need the extra space with all our cars. I suppose Clive thinks that any money we get knocked off will help towards that expense, but as I said, thats not the sellers fault.

I think the agent is possibly at fault for suggesting we make an offer, but it is up to us at the end of the day to decide whether we want it enough to pay full price or want to risk the possibility of someone else coming along and beating us to it.
Reply With Quote
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
scorpio is offline  
Location: Old Leake, UK
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,080
Female 
 
12-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think personally if people aren't going to accept offers reasonable ones of course then market at a fixed price.

We have sold 2 houses over the past 12 years and were agreeable to reasonable offers the first one was a silly offer so Gorden told the Agent what we would expect he went back and the buyer was prepared to pay that and we accepted. Same on the second house, this house was on for less than the agent wanted to market when we made an offer we were told that so we paid full asking price. All very simple some people do like to play about and maybe she is being awkward because it is a marriage split and there is some animosity. If you really want it and I must say it looks worth the asking price and you are happy to pay it go for it it would be a shame to lose it as it sounds ideal. If she said to the Agent she would accept offers of course she is going to get offers. If they are reasonable ones and she has stated the price she would accept on an offer then she is never going to sell if she keeps playing around when the offer she says she will accept is offered and then she says she won't accept.

Good luck Sheree it gets so frustrating. This is what's playing on my mind when we decide to sell and then buy I am not good at waiting.
Thanks Lynn, I think you're right, the husband wants his cut and maybe she is holding out because of him, or simply the fact that she hasn't seen anything else she likes. Either way, if she wants to move then she has to sell it to someone otherwise she will be in exactly the same boat. I didn't think our offers were insulting, given the information we had from the agent, had she said that it had just been reduced by x amount then we would have probably paid the asking price.

I'm happy to wait for her to make a decision but Clive is panicing because this lad wants to move quickly.

We're hoping this will be our last move until we retire so we want to make sure its the right one, both of us love the house and the area so I think we would be foolish to let it slip by.
Reply With Quote
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is offline  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,264
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
For me if the price is fair and no work needs doing then where is there room to negotiate. Fair enough if windows, kitchens etc. need replacing but if not and it's priced right what's the issue. When I sold my last property I expected to get the asking price as it was immaculate, the only negotiation I was willing to do, was once finding a buyer, I offered an incentive for quick completion. They didn't ask for it, I offered to pay the legal fees etc up to 3,000 for completion in 4 weeks. It worked and we had a quick sale.
10,000 will affect their future plans and they may not be able/willing to accept it. I know when I bought my current house, it was being sold as the result of a divorce and I did make an offer as there was lots of work needed, they eventually accepted it but it was the woman who lost out because the bloke was holding out for the asking price and she compromised by giving him half the asking price and she got less. It's not always as simple as it looks.
Reply With Quote
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Jackie is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,122
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
12-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
.
I think the agent is possibly at fault for suggesting we make an offer, but it is up to us at the end of the day to decide whether we want it enough to pay full price or want to risk the possibility of someone else coming along and beating us to it.
I dont think so Sheree, everyone will start with an offer, and its expected to a degree, but then it will be down to the response of the offer.....sometimes you win sometomes you lose...


If you want this house, you may have to just pay the price.

But something you said earlier, this is a house sale through divorce, and what you may be up against, is "she" does not want to sell..and will do anything to scupper the sale""
Reply With Quote
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Ramble is offline  
Location: dogsville
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,141
Female 
 
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Oh I do hope you hear today. This house thing is so stressful huh?
Reply With Quote
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
terrier69 is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 4,185
Female 
 
12-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm so excited for you Sheree, esp as you say, it's the house of your dreams.
Can't give you any advice about buying though as have only bought one house, this one, and it was brand new so no budging on the price. But sometimes you just have to pay that little bit more to get what you really want.
Fingers crossed anyway
Reply With Quote
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is offline  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,264
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
12-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Sheree if you have the postcode have a look on here it might give you a better idea of how much others in the immediate vacinity are going for. Or see how much they paid for it although I don't think that helps, especially if they seem to have made a huge profit and you didn't .
http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Fudgeley is offline  
Location: Warrington UK
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,929
Female 
 
12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Good luck Sheree.....hope you hear today!
Reply With Quote
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
scorpio is offline  
Location: Old Leake, UK
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,080
Female 
 
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks all

I've just got back from the dentist so had to speak to Clive through gritted teeth

Before I left I phoned the agent, she said that she hadn't been in yesterday but she spoke to the seller this morning. She really wants to stay in the area but can't find anything suitable and wants to hold out for the 225k as she had sold it at that once before. The agent said that the chap that had offered to buy it at that price lives in a not too nice part of Milton Keynes and may still have his house on the market this time next year, may not get the price he got before and, therefore, may not be in a position to offer her the same amount, and thats if he hasn't changed his mind and seen something else he wants. But she has said she wants nearer the asking price, so she hasn't actually said she wants the full asking price, has she?

I explained to the agent that we had been told to make offers etc., and she agreed that they do always tell people that they must expect to receive offers in this climate and that they do say that they will recoup it when they buy, and she said that she totally understood where we were coming from, that our offer was a very good one as although the others on the estate were similar prices, they have all been up for months with no hint of a sale!

I asked if I could get Clive to up his offer by another 5k did she think the woman would be interested and she said that she was certain she would accept that and move into rented accomodation so that we could make the quick completion that our buyer wants.

I got back from the dentist, hardly able to speak and told Clive all the above. His response was that I should go back, offer 217k and say we're walking away if its not accepted. He has got friends who are estate agents and he's been talking to them today and, I feel, they may be swaying him, but so far none of them have been able to find us anything suitable. I made the excuse that I couldn't phone now as I can't talk and we'll chat about it tonight. He said he's not paying more because why should we be the ones who keep making the sacrifices..and I know why he feels like this, but he is letting his annoyance cloud his judgement. I feel that he is willing to throw this away for the sake of a couple of thousand, ok we don't have that sort of money to play with but we do know that we can already buy something up to 240k so we would be within our budget with this one.

Shame I can't work my magic charms on him tonight, otherwise it would be in the bag
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top